• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice/Experience -- 'Upgrading' City of Boston issued LTC restricted to unrestricted

Hi all City of Boston-based LTC Class A holders. I've been a Boston LTC Class A Restricted license holder for almost two years. Given the cost, time, and effort required to be issued that level of license---at the time---I was simply happy to have the box checked and get my .45.

But time has gone by and as I've become more aware and educated to the threats, both real and perceived, to my person and my right as a law abiding citizen to own firearms, I'm determined to seek a City of Boston LTC Class A Unrestricted license. Perhaps I'm naive, but when I even have a MASS Statie telling me they can't deny you unrestricted -- it's against the law---well, it fuels the underdog in me.

For Boston folks on the forum, does anyone have any direct/personal experience going back and 'upgrading' (not sure the right term to use here) a LTC Class A restricted to unrestricted? Any advice or guidance?

I suppose one option is a call to Attorney Jesse Cohen, but would hope a citizen can proceed through a request process on merit and diligence alone without having to require legal representation.

As stated earlier--perhaps I'm naive.

Also, I'm not a new business owner since my initial license, so going back with that as the basis for license status change is not an option. Nope---just a solid law abiding citizen : )

All input welcome.

Best...CrushItLikeQuint

CrushItLikeQuint said:
Perhaps I'm naive, but when I even have a MASS Statie telling me they can't deny you unrestricted -- it's against the law---well, it fuels the underdog in me.

Perhaps. Since when do Staties know firearms laws? Just because it's not right, it doesn't mean they can't do it.

My advice is the advice you already gave yourself. Call Jesse Cohen. He has relationships with a lot of CLEOs and will guide you through the process that would be the most likely to benefit you. He has already given me solid advice and if you want the restriction removed you will need representation in order to be taken seriously. Best of luck.

I don't have any advice for you but commend your gusto. Without an attorney I see little chance for you to come out on top. Best of luck.

Class A unrestricted

That Statie was wrong. I recommend checking your information before acting based on it......
Actually your wrong. If your record is clean you have a right to a Class A unrestricted LTC. I live in boston and have got my class A UNRESTRICTED AT AGE 21 and am renewing soon. If you get denied in Boston but have a clean record you can appeal to district court and have it overturned. Do not let them bully you and do not listen to liberal meatballs. If I get denied I will be paying an attorney to make sure I wipe it in BPD's face.

Actually your wrong. If your record is clean you have a right to a Class A unrestricted LTC. I live in boston and have got my class A UNRESTRICTED AT AGE 21 and am renewing soon. If you get denied in Boston but have a clean record you can appeal to district court and have it overturned. Do not let them bully you and do not listen to liberal meatballs. If I get denied I will be paying an attorney to make sure I wipe it in BPD's face.

Not in this state.

ETA: a right means they can't apply it unfairly. It may be true with a lawsuit you can win and get unrestricted, but not everyone can afford that.

LO's have suitability, so they can abuse it.

Last edited:

I agree that a person has a "right to a class A unrestricted LTC. However, It is not as easy and clear cut as you suggest to appeal and have it overturned. The restrictions by the BP Licensing Authority are legal under the current mASS law. If you are up for the battle, and have several thousand to spend, go for it. I suspect you may have had in "in" when you were last licensed. If so, contact them on your behalf. Boston has been issuing "Restricted LTC", NO Conceal Carry since March of 2006.
Best regards.

Hi all City of Boston-based LTC Class A holders. I've been a Boston LTC Class A Restricted license holder for almost two years. Given the cost, time, and effort required to be issued that level of license---at the time---I was simply happy to have the box checked and get my .45.

But time has gone by and as I've become more aware and educated to the threats, both real and perceived, to my person and my right as a law abiding citizen to own firearms, I'm determined to seek a City of Boston LTC Class A Unrestricted license. Perhaps I'm naive, but when I even have a MASS Statie telling me they can't deny you unrestricted -- it's against the law---well, it fuels the underdog in me.

For Boston folks on the forum, does anyone have any direct/personal experience going back and 'upgrading' (not sure the right term to use here) a LTC Class A restricted to unrestricted? Any advice or guidance?

I suppose one option is a call to Attorney Jesse Cohen, but would hope a citizen can proceed through a request process on merit and diligence alone without having to require legal representation.

As stated earlier--perhaps I'm naive.

Also, I'm not a new business owner since my initial license, so going back with that as the basis for license status change is not an option. Nope---just a solid law abiding citizen : )

All input welcome.

Best...CrushItLikeQuint

Last edited:
If you were given a Ma. Class A LTC the police dept cannot restrict it. The vast majority of people dont know the law or are just intimidated by the Detective doing the licensing. The down side is you will need a lawyer and have to go to court but Judge is obligated by law to issue you a concealed carry license.

HUH?

There are THOUSANDS if not TENS of Thousands of people with LTC A's that are restricted to "hunting and target" or "employment", and if you think you are brighter than the rest of us and want to share the MGL to back up your post I am all ears.

MA has discretionary licensing, which means the C.L.E.O. that issues the license can do pretty much as he/she damn pleases from denying, B Ramming, or restricting with very little worry about having their decision overturned even at the District Court level

MA has discretionary licensing, which means the C.L.E.O. that issues the license can do pretty much as he/she damn pleases from denying, B Ramming, or restricting with very little worry about having their decision overturned even at the District Court level

'Murica!

Oh wait ...

If you were given a Ma. Class A LTC the police dept cannot restrict it. The vast majority of people dont know the law or are just intimidated by the Detective doing the licensing. The down side is you will need a lawyer and have to go to court but Judge is obligated by law to issue you a concealed carry license.

This is nonsense and demonstrates a profound ignorance of the MA laws, appeal process, and general leanings of the district court in such things. You do this forum a dis-service by posting such blatantly wrong information as there is a chance someone will actually believe you.

For example, MGL Ch 140 Section 131 contains:

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper;

And then, there is the issue of suitability. Can you tell us exactly how many transcripts and decisions from district court appeals you have actually read?" I have familiarity with some, and have actually seen the denial of a restriction appeal in which the court held that 140s131 did indeed give the PD the power to restrict, and that the PD met the burden of proof in demonstrating that it deemed the restriction proper.

maybe we just write this (most recent thread resurrection) off as a first post troll....nobody can be that stupid , and yes this was their first post on NES

A comment about applying for an upgrade in "red" towns, and specifically including Boston.

The key to success in negotiating an upgrade is to present the licensing authority with some reason why you are "different" and you risk is "not the ordinary risk to which all members of the general public are subject".

Some reasons that could work:

- Business owner, handles cash
- NRA instructor who takes an inventory of demonstration firearms to locations/events announced to, and open to, the public
- Person of high social prominence whose fame or extreme wealth makes them a target
- Someone with connections
- Certain job categories (MD, Atty) may get a "pass" either as a courtesy or because they are perceived as elite and privileged.

What will NOT work:

- A well written essay about the risk that you are subject to IF the reasons in the essay could apply to any random member of the public. Licensing officers aren't stupid, and realize that acceptance of a reason that could apply to any person is tantamount to issuing unrestricted to anyone who asks.

Dude...[rolleyes]

this also coming from somebody who has a thread about how he has a restricted LTC? lol

[rofl]

I apologize for my ignorance to the laws of massachusetts. New to NES and I am obviously misinformed.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/general-discussion/195012-can-i-carry-woods-hiking.html

Thanks for playing.

Back
Top Bottom