Advice? - CT SLFU has returned by CT Application twice

UPDATE 8/4/2022: CT Non Resident Carry Permit arrived today.

I filled out my Connecticut non resident carry permit application on 11/4/2021 and had it notarized that same day. On 12/27/2021 I completed the online CCHRS portion and submitted payment. On 2/22/2022 I had my fingerprint card completed, and on 2/23/2022 I mailed off my application.

My Connecticut carry permit application has been returned/kicked back two times now stating that my firearm safety course does not meet the "minimum standards". I attached a photo of the document at the bottom of the post.

I'm not sure if the SLFU is overlooking my Training Documents, or if they don't accept the people I took training from.

I made my Application Packet as organized as possible, but perhaps I did something wrong to piss them off?

Overall I have 70+ hours of Firearm/Handgun/Safety Training and Live Fire/Qualifications.

Before resubmitting for the 3rd time have asked my NRA Instructors to draft letters stating that my training exceeds the CT minimum standards and will place them in my packet. They agreed to do so.

Does anyone here know who to contact at the SLFU before I resubmit? I tried to call and get a voicemail, and my emails go unanswered. I did place a letter inside my unmailed packet asking the Investigator/s or a Supervisor to please contact me so we can discuss my options before returning my application packet again.

For what it's worth, here is the training documents I sent them:

·A) 8 Hour NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course with Live Fire. The Certificate, and the Instructors NRA Certification are included with the packet. This Course meets CT Minimum Standards and is only 7 Months old.
·B) 8 Hour NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course with Live Fire. The Certificate is included with the packet. This Course meets CT Minimum Standards and is only 11 Months old when I completed the CCHRS.
·C) 16 Hour Maryland Wear and Carry/NRA Handgun Live Fire/Qualification Training Course. My Resident Maryland Handgun Permit, Qualification Sheet, and Course Certificate is included in the packet. This Course exceeds the NRA Basic Shooting Course, and was 11 Months old when I performed the CCHRS.
·D) 18 Hour Washington D.C. Concealed Carry/NRA Handgun Live Fire/Qualification Training Course. My Non Resident D.C. Handgun Permit, Qualification Sheet, Course Certificate, and the Instructors NRA Certification are included with the packet. This Course exceeds the NRA Basic Shooting Course and is only 7 Months old.

As mentioned I have additional training but it's not pertinent to this application.
34289.jpeg

Last edited:
what does their website show for courses that are approved? maybe they will only accept a certificate for the approved courses that they vetted ( even though technically you have many that meet of exceed)???

i'm just spitballing.

just looked at the link they specified, and it looks like they will only accept a course taken with those instructors they approve?

maybe someone else has the same issue they can chime in...

I work for the Navy and run into this brainless bullshit jobsworth f***tardity all the time.
Requirement: A or better
Have B which is better than A
f***tard -> You don't meet requirement of "A"

Years ago we spent $100 per resistor for a 20% tolerance unit because a 1% tolerance resistor for $0.10 wasn't "per spec"
Still drives me insane

My wife and I submitted for CT at the same time. We have the same training.

Hers was accepted, mine was kicked back twice.

My wife and I submitted for CT at the same time. We have the same training.

Hers was accepted, mine was kicked back twice.

You have the same training.
Her packet was accepted; yours was rejected.

Can you find differences in the packets you submitted? (besides the fact that they're for two different people).

Also, I'd probably remove all of the documentation that isn't absolutely necessary. Just address the questions they're asking.

You have the same training.
Her packet was accepted; yours was rejected.

Can you find differences in the packets you submitted? (besides the fact that they're for two different people).

Also, I'd probably remove all of the documentation that isn't absolutely necessary. Just address the questions they're asking.
No differences in the packets or training between my Wife and I.

I did make several calls and emails trying to get the non resident packets mid 2021. A friend who has contacts with the SLFU got two sent to me. Maybe I ticked someone off by doing that.

I have never been rude with anyone in my messages, emails, or communications.

Ill remove all the training that is not pertinent on the next submission.

Last edited:
My non-res app was kicked back to me for the same reason (course not meeting the minimum...). As the saying goes "you can't fight city hall", so I just took a course from one of their "approved" trainings and resubmitted. Time will tell as I am now just waiting.

No, just a copy of the certificate, which is the cited requirement.
Is this a renewal or new application?

You don't need to provide live fire target if renewal, if new you need to provide one, I did for mine,
What are the minimum firearms training course requirements for pistol permit applicants?
You are required> to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

CT Approved Firearms Instructors
Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred tothe Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

I would just summit the NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate with you package. The other training may just seem like fluff to the trooper reviewing your paperwork. If he or she is not gun friendly they maybe giving you a hard time for the extra training certificates you included in your package.

The SLFU accepted my 3rd submission and deposited my check.

I guess the wait begins now?

They deposited my wife's check 3 months ago and nothing yet. I'm about 2 months behind her.

Finally received my CT Permit today. 190 Days from initial submission to approval.

Apparently your wife is considered less risky by the SLFU. [pot]

Congrats to both of you.
Renewal should be painless - just set a reminder so it's a renewal rather than a new application.

Apparently your wife is considered less risky by the SLFU. [pot]

Congrats to both of you.
Renewal should be painless - just set a reminder so it's a renewal rather than a new application
😃 One particular lady at the SLFU does not like me I guess.

I'm assuming they won't send a renewal packet automatically.

This an initial or renewal? If it's the initial permit, may I ask when they accepted payment for your application?
Sorry about the late response...

It was an initial and it was about 2 months between my submission and receiving the permit. Not sure when in that time frame the check was deposited. Anyway, glad to see you and your wife both have your permits now.

@SOTAR I am currently going through the CT Non-Resident Pistol Permit process myself. Application mailed late July 2022, check cashed early August, and I haven't heard anything aside from this . I've been waiting for roughly 2 months. If could answer the following, I'd appreciate it:

- What was the date you submitted your application for the third time?
+ How did you know your application was accepted by SLFU this time?
* Was it because they cashed your check this time and didn't cash it the previous times?
- What was the actual wait from your third & final submission, to permit issuance?

Sorry about the late response...

It was an initial and it was about 2 months between my submission and receiving the permit. Not sure when in that time frame the check was deposited. Anyway, glad to see you and your wife both have your permits now.

@CC driver do you know why your application was processed in just 2 months? I see lots of people being approved after 100 or so days. Just curious if you know why you were approved so quickly.

@SOTAR I am currently going through the CT Non-Resident Pistol Permit process myself. Application mailed late July 2022, check cashed early August, and I haven't heard anything aside from this . I've been waiting for roughly 2 months. If could answer the following, I'd appreciate it:

- What was the date you submitted your application for the third time?
+ How did you know your application was accepted by SLFU this time?
* Was it because they cashed your check this time and didn't cash it the previous times?
- What was the actual wait from your third & final submission, to permit issuance?

@CC driver do you know why your application was processed in just 2 months? I see lots of people being approved after 100 or so days. Just curious if you know why you were approved so quickly.
Im my case and in my wife's case, when they deposited our payments then that meant our training documents were accepted.

If training is not accepted or the application has errors, they mail your application and payment back to you within 3 weeks of them receiving it.

I'm not sure if the background is done before or after the payment is deposited though.

From the time they deposited our payments till a permit was in our mailbox was about 70 days.

If I had to guess, your permit may arrive mid October.

I do know that many States that do "Non Resident" Permits are getting slammed. The NY/Bruen decision made places like MD, NJ, and MA Shall issue and their residents are flooding FL, UT, CT, MA, NJ, and MD with Non Resident Applications. This may slow down your CT application process.

I submitted a request on the CT website a month or two ago to have them send me the paperwork, still haven't heard back.

Im my case and in my wife's case, when they deposited our payments then that meant our training documents were accepted.

If training is not accepted or the application has errors, they mail your application and payment back to you within 3 weeks of them receiving it.

I'm not sure if the background is done before or after the payment is deposited though.

From the time they deposited our payments till a permit was in our mailbox was about 70 days.

If I had to guess, your permit may arrive mid October.

I do know that many States that do "Non Resident" Permits are getting slammed. The NY/Bruen decision made places like MD, NJ, and MA Shall issue and their residents are flooding FL, UT, CT, MA, NJ, and MD with Non Resident Applications. This may slow down your CT application process.
This gem appeared in my USPS informed delivery for tomorrow. I’m an impatient son of a bitch. Is that what the envelope looked like that your permit came in?

Attachments

• DF4B2FEB-AE35-4EDA-97FF-D7547492DC3A.jpeg
    DF4B2FEB-AE35-4EDA-97FF-D7547492DC3A.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom