Advice and opinions needed for GMC dealerships

paracarry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I live on the south shore and am thinking of buying probably a used GMC sierra pick-up, any advice on good dealerships to deal with and ones to stay away from. Better yet anybody work at one, I would rather give my money to a Gun Guy than an ANTI. thanks in advance

Artie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Reach out to NES member tysdad115. I am pretty sure he is a service manager at a GMC dealership on the south shore. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GMC advise.... well here is some you probably won't take. Don't do it. If you want a pickup truck get the Toyota. If you want a heavy duty (diesel) get the Dodge. The Duramax is a pile of Dura-Crap. And the Powerstroke is a joke... I mean honestly - can anyone really compare them against the Cummins in the Dodge?

But I'm not a mechanic by trade... Just the shady tree type. So what do I know? I do have 5 friends who are though and they all say the same thing. We love domestic cars and trucks.... They make us a lot of money because they're in the shop all the time. They hate Hondas and Toyotas because they never see them outside of routine maintenance. Frame rot issue on the older Toyota pickups aside... Which was actually an American manufacturer's fault as the frames were made by Dana.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
[QUOTE="ThePreBanMan, post: 5857396, member: 30971"} Frame rot issue on the older Toyota pickups aside... Which was actually an American manufacturer's fault as the frames were made by Dana.[/QUOTE]
Made to toyota specs, where was toyotas lawsuit against Dana?

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
GMC advise.... well here is some you probably won't take. Don't do it. If you want a pickup truck get the Toyota. If you want a heavy duty (diesel) get the Dodge. The Duramax is a pile of Dura-Crap. And the Powerstroke is a joke... I mean honestly - can anyone really compare them against the Cummins in the Dodge?
Three words, 'in a Dodge"

RapidTransit

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are always flip flopping one year brand X's truck is the best, the next year it's brand Y, just try to keep the doohickies to a minimum and I don't think you can go wrong.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a 2013 GMC Sierra and it's been a good truck overall.

FWIW:
The biggest hang up I would have buying a used one is how it was taken care of. They have a displacement on demand system in the 5.3's that is called Active Fuel Managment (AFM). They AFM system lifters are prone failure and carboning up the rings in those 4 cylinders turning them into big oil drinkers. I would be hard pressed to buy one used.

In my case I have had AFM turned off and change the oil religiously in mine and not had any issues.

Bob

paracarry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Thanks for all your input so far, I am not opposed to a Toyota Tundra I had a 2000 with a rotted frame, traded it and bought a new Honda ridgeline in 2010. I have owned a Ford and had a 2002 GMC sierra I like the looks of the Dodge Ram but if I bought one my father would haunt me.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Ford and GM and Ram suck so bad that the Tundra has 11% of the pickup market. Toyota sells 5X as many Tacoma’s.

I have a 2013 GMC Sierra and it's been a good truck overall.

FWIW:
The biggest hang up I would have buying a used one is how it was taken care of. They have a displacement on demand system in the 5.3's that is called Active Fuel Managment (AFM). They AFM system lifters are prone failure and carboning up the rings in those 4 cylinders turning them into big oil drinkers. I would be hard pressed to buy one used.

In my case I have had AFM turned off and change the oil religiously in mine and not had any issues.

Bob
The AFM issue was supposedly addressed in ‘14. We have a 2016 Tahoe (Silverado chassis and power train) that does not show any evidence of those problems.

We’ve been buying vans at work for 25 and didn’t find much difference in operating cost or reliability over the 165,000 mile target life between GM and Ford. The 3.5L EcoBoost in our newest Transit is far more powerful than the 5.3, but the 5.3 runs well, has plenty of oil capacity and tows 6K fine. It seems to be a religious argument.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ford and GM and Ram suck so bad that the Tundra has 11% of the pickup market.
Wow Ford has the largest percentage in the overall market almost 40%, GM and then Dodge and Toyota has 11% but Ford, GM and Dodge suck. Never heard of those frames rotting out beyond safety standards and no Toyotas still on the road over 10 years either. Another vote for anything but Toyota.

Dan-o

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Anyone but A certain GMC dealer in Franklin, MA
Bought a new GMC from them few years back and service Dept. Was beyond horrible!
Never ever again!
Replaced it with an F250 6.7 diesel and have been very happy, will prob buy another one.

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
You do know that a GMC pickup is a Chevy in a different skin, right? The running gear is exactly the same. I've owned both, and got good service from them, but I take good care of my stuff.

paracarry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
You do know that a GMC pickup is a Chevy in a different skin, right? The running gear is exactly the same. I've owned both, and got good service from them, but I take good care of my stuff.
Yup I know, thanks, now I'll let everyone get back to the "My truck is better than your truck" bashing.

n1oty

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The Cummings is a great engine, to bad it’s surrounded by a Dodge truck!
[rofl]
I've had nothing but great luck with Ram's since 2001, but I'm also riding around in a real truck.............a 2500 3/4 ton, not the 1/2 tons that every considers to be trucks. My 2003 went 375,000 miles and 14 years for me. During that time I rebuilt the injectors at 200,000, the tranny at 300,000 and repaired some minor rot over the rear wheel wells. I got a new 2017 2500 last year, again with the Cummins, only because my son wanted my old truck to do some plowing.

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The 1/2 tons are the home-owner special, just an over-sized car. You get a lot more truck with the 3/4 and 1 tons, everything lasts a lot longer.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
GMC trucks are horrible. LOL

My 2015 2500HD just turned 86K and hasn't had a wrench put to it outside of tires, oil and filter changes.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Reach out to NES member tysdad115. I am pretty sure he is a service manager at a GMC dealership on the south shore. Good luck!

I'll second that. Tysdad works at Robertson's GMC in Wareham.

When I was having trouble with my 2003 Suburban a few years back - he very generously helped me to track down what the problem(s) were.

Then he hooked me up with a nice pre-owned 2010 Yukon XL 2500 when I was looking for something newer.

Definitely reach out to Tysdad.

Top Bottom