• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Adventures in Storage Permits

Just received my Storage Permit from the Fire Dept.

Well, the permit only speaks of permission for storage of powder. 5lbs of Black and up to 15 of Smokeless.

No, that isn't a typo. My permit now limits me to less smokeless powder then I am allowed to have without the permit. No mention of Primers(which is why I actually need it) or Ammo. I did put the maximums of everything on the permit application.

I was under the impression that the permit must state the limits for all items mentioned in CMR 527. Is this true?

Waiting for them to call me back to get to the bottom of it. *sigh*

thanks Cross X, I know what they put is wrong, According to the CMR black powder is 5lbs for private use. Quite honestly though, I don't care about BP as I don't have any. My main concern in the 1k primer limit and the 10k ammunition limit.

Does the amount of Primers(10k), rimfire(30k), centerfire(50k) and shotshells(50k) need to be explicitly stated on the permit?

thanks Cross X, I know what they put is wrong, According to the CMR black powder is 5lbs for private use. Quite honestly though, I don't care about BP as I don't have any. My main concern in the 1k primer limit and the 10k ammunition limit.

Does the amount of Primers(10k), rimfire(30k), centerfire(50k) and shotshells(50k) need to be explicitly stated on the permit?

Bump. I'm going through the paperwork right now. The fire department needs to look up the law because 'They don't do this too often'. Either the guy didn't know what he was talking about or all the locals aren't getting permits.

BTW, is this an annual permit that must be renewed?

Nope,

No answer through PM [sad]

Still no revise permit either. Although the person in charge of the permits is on vacation so I didn't expect anything until she gets back.

The fire dept. in my town was very helpful. They just asked how much ammo I planned to store, and wrote me a permit for it.
I don't store powder or primers though.

Since the amounts covered by the permit are explicitly specified in the CMR, I'm prompted to wonder why the department feels the need to write in any amounts. It would be the equivalent of your chief specifying a term on your LTC. Regardless of what he writes, your LTC expires on your fifth birthday after the date of issue; not one day earlier; not one day later.

Ken

Ken, it is my understanding (from talking with local fire chief) that the local fire chiefs do have discretion to limit below the amounts listed in the CMR. My fire chief does NOT do this, but I seem to remember him mentioning this during a discussion at some point in the past.

Back
Top Bottom