Advantage Arms kit vs. Glock 44

GeorgeMason

NES Member
I do the bulk of my practice with .22lr to keep costs down. I'm on my second Ruger SR22. The first one sheered the rim off a round and left a ring of brass in the barrel a little after 10k rounds. Sent it to Ruger and they replaced the whole gun. Second gun was fine for about 6k rounds when I started getting light strikes with a clean gun and tons of different kinds of ammo. Sent that one to Ruger and they replaced some springs and sent it back. It was good for a while, but after about another 5k rounds I'm getting the light strikes again and it needs to go back to Ruger. I suspect they'll replace the springs again.
I'm looking to add another .22 into the rotation for practice and figured since I carry a G19, either a g44 or a conversion kit from Advantage Arms would be a good option. My question for the brain trust here is there a better option between the two? A kit is cheaper and I have an extra frame to accommodate it, but if a g44 is a better option, I don't mind spending the extra money.

Last edited:
I’ve been using the AA conversion for a couple years on a gen 5 G19. Works great when it’s working. I put thousands of rounds through it. Gets filthy easily. It'll teach you how to clear malfunctions real quick. I haven't compared it to G44. Hopefully the G44 is more reliable, albeit a separate FFL purchase. The AA kit is merely an accessory you can order from ebay shipped to your front door. Plus the AA kit is a $200 cheaper option.

You asked a common question that this video will explain in-depth the differences:

View: https://youtu.be/PPev97EKDR0

I’ve been using the AA conversion for a couple years on a gen 5 G19. Works great when it’s working. I put thousands of rounds through it. Gets filthy easily. It'll teach you how to clear malfunctions real quick. I haven't compared it to G44. Hopefully the G44 is more reliable, albeit a separate FFL purchase. The AA kit is merely an accessory you can order from ebay shipped to your front door. Plus the AA kit is a $200 cheaper option.

You asked a common question that this video will explain in-depth the differences:

View: https://youtu.be/PPev97EKDR0

That video was helpful. YouTube recommended a couple others as well. I’m leaning towards the AA kit mainly because it doesn’t seem to be any less reliable than the g44 and I’ve already got an extra frame kicking around. I get that either option is probably more reliable than the .22 ammo that will run through it.

That video was helpful. YouTube recommended a couple others as well. I’m leaning towards the AA kit mainly because it doesn’t seem to be any less reliable than the g44 and I’ve already got an extra frame kicking around. I get that either option is probably more reliable than the .22 ammo that will run through it.
Yeah I think the AA kit is the better choice too. For cleaning, I field strip the slide, put the parts in a ziplock bag, and dump a splash of hoppes in there, shake it around. There are some deep crevices where the gunk accumulates. Then oil the contact areas and you're g2g.

Works great when it’s working
i gave away mine as i got too pissed at it - it just stopped cycling on me one day, and i could not make it work again. dunno what the heck it was.
cleaned it, polished it, oiled it - no use.
now with a ruger mk4 - gosh, it is just a pure joy compared to an AA kit. :)

You are correct. I noted the wrong ammo. I use the recommended Golden Bullets, it needs the HV ammo. No issues.
i fed mine with cci mini mags. that it developed over time was a tendency for incomplete going back into the battery and then producing light strikes, so the shot would not fire.
like i said, it got annoying enough to just get rid of it. was kinda odd as it worked quite well for a season, then after winter i tried it and it was no good and never got it to work well.

One is easier to find in mASS. :)

I will say this - I like the G44 for my son. He isn't real keen on centerfire pistol at the indoor range. But the AA advantage is using your own frame which is better for training.

Back
Top Bottom