Adjusting the gas on the sks???

With the bolt carrier hitting the rear of the receiver on some of the sks's we have. Have you ever thought of adjusting the gas? I was thinking of a small disc with a hole in it installed before the gas tube goes in. Start off with a small hole and work up till it cycles properly, then go one hole size larger to besafe it will cycle all the time.

Any thoughts? I don't like to use buffers and adjusting the gas should solve the problem. I wonder if we could get a stronger recoil spring or shim the recoil spring too?

If you look closely at the rear of the receiver you will see two little spots were the bolt carrier it maybe nothing to worry about but i do.

With the bolt carrier hitting the rear of the receiver on some of the sks's we have. Have you ever thought of adjusting the gas? I was thinking of a small disc with a hole in it installed before the gas tube goes in. Start off with a small hole and work up till it cycles properly, then go one hole size larger to besafe it will cycle all the time.

Any thoughts? I don't like to use buffers and adjusting the gas should solve the problem. I wonder if we could get a stronger recoil spring or shim the recoil spring too?

If you look closely at the rear of the receiver you will see two little spots were the bolt carrier it maybe nothing to worry about but i do.

If you drop the gas pressure slightly on an AK, it will double or go full auto. Something with the resetting of the sear. You may want to use those plastic buffers if the slamming bothers you, but dropping the gas pressure may have unintended consequences that may not be clear until after you do it.

+1, I wouldn't mess with the gas. Buffers are cheap although many dispute their effectiveness, could also be the recoil spring is getting weak. I'd suggest trying to replace the recoil spring & see if that makes any difference.

You say you have more than one SKS - have you tried swapping the springs and seeing if it makes a difference?

My Egyptian Hakim, Egyptian Rasheed, SVT-40 Tokarev and the FN49's all have gas adjustments. Some are installing a gas adjustment on there swede ljungmans too. This is an improvement because the ljungman is very ammo finiky. There are a few ammo manufacturers that there 6.5mm ammo is too hot for the ljungman.

I never had a slam fire nor a full auto problem on any of my hakims with the gas adjustment set lower than normal.(first click open) One of my hakims has two extra notches that go lower than the normal setting. Some did this for shooting the cheap turkish 8mm ammo.

Years ago there were problems with hakims because the gas valves weren't adjusted to the ammo they were using. With the gas valve open too much the bolt carrier could actually open up the chamber before the bullet leaves the barrel with the breech pressure still present. Most thought it was an out of battery firing but we figured it out to be the gas valve was too far open. With all my hakims it seems open "1" click seems to be the norm from fully closed. If its sluggish then its "2" clicks open that seems to be the max. I usually adjust it till the bolt carrier locks open(empty mag last shot fired) and it loads correctly with no hesitation. It has to be reliable and dependable too.

Now with the russian svt-40 and the gas valve all the way open its like getting hit with a baseball bat in the shoulder when the bolt carrier hits the back of the receiver.

I think having a way to adjust the gas or a gas valve or a stronger recoil spring could improve the performance of the sks too, it would cut down on the overtravel thus making the cycle timing much less. What if we tuned an sks the way we tune the 1911's? We see what a difference it can do with 1911's. Even the hakim is better when its adjusted correctly. I'm surprsied no one has talked about tuning an sks for better performance or actually done it. Maybe its just me that wants to get all i can out of a gun but i do want it perfect or better than it once was.

When i first purchased my russian izhmash saiga the gun felt rough when i ran the bolt and pulled the trigger. After lubing the saiga up with moly its a different gun. It feels like an expensive gun with just a lube. Even the trigger felt better with moly. It cycles faster and smoother using moly too on the bolt carrier, bolt, recoil spring, gas piston and gas tube just a little will do.

Moly on the trigger sear can lessen the trigger pull by up to 50% right away. And more as it works into the pores of the metal.

I just think out of the norm sometimes.

Bill... no disrespect but were talking about the SKS here. 99% of the 7.62x39 ammo out there is about equal with only minimal differences.
Golden Tiger from my experiences is the hottest, and that functions best for accuracy and performance in rapid fire in all my SKS types.
I can see gas regulation when it comes to Hakims, SVT40s, and other high powered semi autos but when you mention it for the SKS, a rifle that has had the same design for decades and was used by so many countries firing so many different ammo types, I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I can almost guarantee that if you try tinkering with restricting gas flow on an SKS, you'll only wind up in the same category as the people buying Yugo 59/66 rifles with worn out valves wondering why they have to pull the bolt back after every shot when the valve is open.
As for adding moly to parts, if it works for you, enjoy. Me, if I want a better trigger, I'll send mine to Kivaari and have him tune one for me.

Bill... no disrespect but were talking about the SKS here. 99% of the 7.62x39 ammo out there is about equal with only minimal differences.
Golden Tiger from my experiences is the hottest, and that functions best for accuracy and performance in rapid fire in all my SKS types.
I can see gas regulation when it comes to Hakims, SVT40s, and other high powered semi autos but when you mention it for the SKS, a rifle that has had the same design for decades and was used by so many countries firing so many different ammo types, I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I can almost guarantee that if you try tinkering with restricting gas flow on an SKS, you'll only wind up in the same category as the people buying Yugo 59/66 rifles with worn out valves wondering why they have to pull the bolt back after every shot when the valve is open.
As for adding moly to parts, if it works for you, enjoy. Me, if I want a better trigger, I'll send mine to Kivaari and have him tune one for me.

I wonder if they shot the rubber or plastic bullets from the 59/66's too like they did on the 59's that i have? I had plugged gas ports on the 59's too. I had to use the gas port tool with a pair of vise grips on it to clear it, it was that solid.

Shoot me your address so i can send you a sample of moly so you can test it and see the results i'm getting using it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom