Adjustable gas block or not?

mikelawtown

NES Member
Finishing a mid 14.5 BA barreled AR and was curious on adjustable Gas blocks, needed, not needed what’s the Consensus on deciding if one is needed ? My BCM 14.5 middy is gassed perfectly.
Maybe I’ll just put a regular one and test before I pin and weld my muzzle break

I have a build with a BA 14.5 barrel and middy gas and it runs perfectly fine with steel and match ammo. Never had a jam. If you want more reassurance, try a stronger buffer spring.

I wouldn't use an adjustable GB unless you plan to shoot it suppressed a lot. If you want to be sure, you can always measure the gas port on your barrel to make sure it's in spec

I wouldn't use an adjustable GB unless you plan to shoot it suppressed a lot. If you want to be sure, you can always measure the gas port on your barrel to make sure it's in spec

I second this. A standard gas block should do you just fine if your gas port is in spec.

223/556 I dont see the point, even if shooting suppressed/full-auto. I have a 10.5" barrel full auto that I shoot suppressed with a normal fixed gas block and it shoots all ammo with no issues suppressed and unsuppressed.

300 BLK get adjustable gas system because the ammo out there is HIGHLY variable in terms of power. Subsonic suppressed vs super sonic non-suppressed and you can get very different cycling results.

450 SOCOM get adjustable. I could tune it for 200gr-400gr or 350gr-500gr but not 200gr-500gr when I built one for a customer

Any AR10 platform I would use adjustable

223/556 I would not add another point of failure and go with fixed

An adjustable gas block allows you to tune the recoil impulse in a similar way changing bcg weight, buffer weights or different muzzle brakes. It is just another part of the system. The great thing about an adjustable block is you can adjusted it or not...can't do anything with a standard gas block.

Got a stainless JP adjustable gas block on one of my builds, adjusted it once to drop my brass at roughly 4 o’clock and never messed with it again. So far so good. Eats everything I feed it.

I have one AR that came with adjustable gas plug. I really dont find much use to adjust it. I tuned it to cycle some lower power 55 grain that would cycle most of the time with with a standard carbine set up. I can see if you tuned it to specific ammo or suppressed. What I dont like about adjustable gas ports is at some point your going to run across ammo that does not like the setting?
I also have one of the adjustable gas ports on my M1 garand although that was in hopes of getting the M1 to cycle on cast bullets more reliably .

Back
Top Bottom