1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Adios VW R32

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Obie1, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

After 15 years of loyal (and enjoyable) service, my wife's 2004 R32 is headed for trade-in. The undercarriage rust and other maintenance issues were getting to be too much. She drove the new turbo R, but didn't want a four door (or a $42,000 Golf). She'll be driving a shiny new Jeep for now.

IMG_2269.JPG

They offered an extra $200 in trade-in if she gave them the poster (now a collector's item) that came with the car (#2417/5000). Not gonna happen.

IMG_2270.JPG

Mountain and silversquirrel like this.
  2. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

One of my kids drives a slightly modified GTI. Definitely a pocket rocket, though it did have the stuck waste gate issue which due to VW's crappy design requires the entire turbo assembly to be replaced. All wheel drive would really be something.

3. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

JUST
    EMPTY
    EVERY
    POCKET

JEEP

Dennis in MA likes this.
  4. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

Cute, but I've heard them all--Fix Or Repair Daily; Fix It Again, Tony; All Customers Undergo Repair Anxiety; Big Money Wasted; Great, More Crap--I can go all day. I'm not asking anyone to decide what my wife wants to drive--that's up to her.

JayMcB likes this.
  5. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

Rust Always Manifests.

JayMcB likes this.
  6. new guy

new guy NES Member

$200 for an advertising poster with holes in it seems like a pretty good offer.

7. Nick Fury

Nick Fury

Perhaps you missed the RockRiver Jeep thread series a few years back? Epic rise and fall saga that even wiped a member or two off the map. A true NES gem...

Yazz likes this.
  8. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

Luxury GT RIP. :(

Hopefully she finds a new home with a collector.

9. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

No, I didn't miss it. I am always amused when people feel a need to bash others' choices in cars, boats, snowmobiles, chain saws, appliances, etc. to validate their own choices. Buy and enjoy what you want; let others do the same. BTW, my Grand Cherokee Limited has 55,000 miles on it with only one recall and no mechanical problems. Anecdotal, I know, but when you only own an anecdote, that's all that matters.

10. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

The VR6 was one of the most exciting engines VW ever made. That rumble from the unequal headers in intoxicating.

11. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

The new R is stupid expensive. VW is killing all golfs for US next year except R and GTI. No hatches that arent hot hatches.

Hopefully her 2004 R will live on and not turn into a rice project. VR6 is one of their better engines, but you need to do the maintainence.
    Our salty roads kill good cars that would otherwise live on for many more miles.

The5thDentist likes this.
  12. silversquirrel

I keep my VR6 under the hood of an 06 Audi A3 awd. Same drivetrain as the 2008 R, but with less headroom and shitty seats.

13. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

Anecdotal like my more likely than not cracked engine block in a 2017 Edge with less than 50k on it?
    No recall yet but that motor is in four of their models and it’s bad enough for a TSB...
    (Okay I’m done derailing [offtopic])

14. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

so true!
    this is the one i'm scratching my head over. i guess you like it 200 bucks worth. [laugh]

15. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Aha but is it stick?? [devil2]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  16. silversquirrel

Negative. Dsg dual clutch automatic. Paddle shifters... spoiled for life. Sport mode is insane.
    Btdt standard shift for 20 yrs. My knees dont miss it.
    Swapped out the haldex controller for more awd fun version.

17. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Out of curiosity, what do you drive?

18. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

I've reached a point in life where money is not the driving factor. My son and I bought her the car at a point where not everything was so bright. She had been through several Sciroccos and a Verrado, but was then driving a boring sedan. The poster will remain in our family room along with a number of other personal memorabilia that commemorate various things in our lives. Get the drift?

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG IMG_2275.JPG IMG_2274.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG

CoastieRon likes this.
  19. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I would ask for $500 + all the maintenance free up to 60K miles (try pushing it to 100K miles). In writing, signed by the manager and the finance guy, not some sales guy.

looser38 likes this.
  20. TheArmsDealer

TheArmsDealer Dealer NES Member

What're they offering for the r32 without poster?

21. new guy

new guy NES Member

15 years is a good run. What kind of miles did you guys put on it in that time?

22. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

Not to be too specific, because that's my wife's bidness, but a little less than a third of original cost (not too bad for a 15 year-old-car).

15 years is a good run. What kind of miles did you guys put on it in that time?
    About 122,000, almost all her behind the wheel. We've long had four or five vehicles to share the miles.

new guy likes this.
  23. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

I bought a brand new R32 years ago....the best car I ever owned! I drove that thing 105 MPH down route 2 and it felt like 70.

I drove it a little over 2 years and traded it in for about $2000 less than I paid for it brand new. I was shocked that it held its value so well. I did include the poster and keychain when I traded it.

24. TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak NES Member

Those R32s are amazing. A few cars hurt to give away even when you know its time....bet this is one of them.

Obie1 likes this.
  25. mav

mav NES Member

Not invalidating her choice at all. Just providing another anecdotal story: Had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland I bought used with about 15,000 miles on it. Had every option from the Hemi V8 to the air-ride suspension. Was in the shop every 3 months (not joking) for recalls. That was a PITA as my wife drives a 2011 Honda Pilot we bought new and has only needed breaks, tires, and oil changes in 150,000 miles. Even with the recalls and all the trips to the dealer, it was a great ride... up until it started stalling when breaking and turning like say coming off the highway onto an off-ramp. Jeep said it was under recall but could never fix it (tried 3 times). I finally traded it for an Audi (have always driven VW's and Audis) when the Jeep almost killed me by stalling and losing the power breaks coming off a highway into traffic.

For the money, Grand Cherokee's provide a lot of value, but until Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep figure out how to build cars that actually run more than they don't, I'll spend my money on other brands. My wife swears by Honda and Acura and I swear by VW's and Audis... (proud owner of 3 Passats, an A4, an A8, and an A5).

26. RIFLEMAN1000

RIFLEMAN1000

Personally i hate VW , because those bastards save all the good cars for Europe. We couldn't buy the new Scirocco when it came out. I wanted to buy a Scirocco R something fierce but no sales to US , now they stopped making them .
    I Hate them grrrrrrrr.

Ive owned 5 VWs
    1 Mk1 GTI
    1 Mk1 Scirocco
    1 Mk2 Scirocco
    1 VR6 Corrado
    and i still own a highley modded G60 corrado

Love and hate them VWs.

TheGreekFreak likes this.
  27. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

To be fair, judging the reliability on a modern (read: not 1965-2000 vintage) car on 55K mileage is trying to judge the quality of a Happy Meal by opening the bag and sniffing. Give it another 100K and let's find out. (Seriously - I'm not knocking Jeep, per se. But let's see how it fares at 150K and 200K.)

28. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

It will never get there with me as it's owner. Forensically, there is no debating difference between saying "my car has had nothing but problems" and "my car has never had a single problem." Neither carries any evidentiary weight other than each owner's experience.

29. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

But the Golf R is soooooo much fun

30. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Maybe you missed it but those people didn't start that thread. Nobody "bashed" anything until the question was asked. What do you want people to
    do, say nothing when an opinion is requested if the answer is negative? What are people who say negative things in such a thread supposed to
    do? say "No comment." ?

ETA: Also, most of the stuff I see around here is people trying to validate the idea of buying junk, not the other way around. Stuff that isn't junk tends to validate
    itself. I haven't seen anyone post a thread thats like "I dont know why anyone would buy something other than HK" etc. Yes I'm sure there are fanbois of whatever that need their choices validated...

What do you mean? There is no "letting" anyone do anything, (we're mostly adults here, afaik) they're going to do what they want anyways, regardless of whatever the internet says. Especially with vehicles, people are emotionally invested and full retard when it comes to badge vanity, etc, particularly on the junk brands- ALL Logic and reason goes COMPLETELY out the f***ing window. [rofl] Like I said in another thread, more or less.. you could have like 10% of (junk brand here) catch on fire when the owner turns the key and most of the customers still won't leave. There are marketing/branding experts that basically pleasure themselves just thinking about that concept.

I have friends who are all into the vanity/junk brands. The cars cost them a fortune (in maintenance/repairs) or horrendously bad TCO, but they don't care, and they keep going back.

If they like it, good for them! I am glad they are happy with their decision. (although they might be secretly remorseful, but we'll never know).

I tell them how I think their car looks great. (they usually do, because they don't get driven anywhere or get thrown away every 2-3 years).

-Mike