• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Addressing Muzzle Rise in Handgun Shooting

Haven't really seen this discussed before. I can hold acceptable groups but I always find that my muzzle rises excessively while shooting my M&P 9mm. I'm by no means a weak-handed guy but I think what I am doing is relaxing my grip a little so that I don't slap the trigger and move from POA. Can anyone offer any advice or tips on holding a firm grip while not jerking the trigger? I see videos of folks with 1911's and 9mm pistols that only rise maybe 1 inch while I'm moving at least 2-3. Any ideas?

Pics of your grip? Personally I like to squeeze evenly with my palm swells and thumbs forward. Granted there are far better shooters out there that should chime in soon

Hold tighter with support hand, which should allow you to work trigger a little more relaxed.

If they only let me keep that third arm growing out of my chest after the nuclear accident...I'd take a photo for you.

My current grip is both thumbs to the left and forward, to the bottom of the slide.
Pics of your grip? Personally I like to squeeze evenly with my palm swells and thumbs forward. Granted there are far better shooters out there that should chime in soon

I'm 6'3", 180lbs.

"Practice, practice, practice" also equates to building muscle. A good grip is important, but regular shooting keeps muscle tone and memory. I have no idea what sort of lifting/exercise might target the same muscles, but generally forearm strength is a plus, so anything that builds that will help.

"Practice, practice, practice" also equates to building muscle. A good grip is important, but regular shooting keeps muscle tone and memory. I have no idea what sort of lifting/exercise might target the same muscles, but generally forearm strength is a plus, so anything that builds that will help.
I use one of these, medium strength http://www.amazon.com/Prohands-Gripmaster-Strengthening-5-0-Pound-Tension/dp/B001M0MDV6 it helps a lot. And it's easy, I usually use it when I'm watching TV

I use one of these, medium strength http://www.amazon.com/Prohands-Gripmaster-Strengthening-5-0-Pound-Tension/dp/B001M0MDV6 it helps a lot. And it's easy, I usually use it when I'm watching TV

Hey, that's awesome, thanks for sharing. I really need something to help strengthen my ol' forearms, I definitely fatigue relatively easily when I'm at the range.

You mentioned you use the medium one - since I'm not a 180 lb guy, but am just a weakling, would the light tension version be better for me to start with?

Lots of great information here, listen to everything this guy says, he says it all very quickly. The next thing would be to shoot with somebody to diagnose your problem, and how to help correct it

[video=youtube_share;XQy5yKN-2vw]http://youtu.be/XQy5yKN-2vw[/video]

You mentioned you use the medium one - since I'm not a 180 lb guy, but am just a weakling, would the light tension version be better for me to start with?
Who you callin' 180lbs?? 165-thank-you-very-much [laugh]
When I was first reading into them, I read that it's better to do more reps with a lighter tension than less reps with a heavier one, so you could start off with the light one.

Who you callin' 180lbs?? 165-thank-you-very-much [laugh]
When I was first reading into them, I read that it's better to do more reps with a lighter tension than less reps with a heavier one, so you could start off with the light one.

LOL! I was referring to MAshooter1 - he told us he was 180 lb!

Thanks a lot, I'll start off with the light one - very helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

Jeez, they're cheap enough. Buy, at least, the "light" and "medium".

Thanks for the helpful comment!

(Just in case you didn't catch it, I wrote that in "English Sarcasm" font)

Oh come on rose, thought you were going to say your weight for a moment.

On topic you have me curios about my muzzle lift, think i have a couple vids of myself i will check.

Lots of great information here, listen to everything this guy says, he says it all very quickly. The next thing would be to shoot with somebody to diagnose your problem, and how to help correct it

+ 1 million on this. I've noticed lately I've been unable to do better grouping especially with guns that recoil more than my SR9 like the 1911 and the 938. This should help out. Todd explained quickly yes, but he explained it very well. I will be changing up my stance (I typically used weaver) and trying to make sure my grip is solid like he shows. Now I need some kind of tape for the front trigger guard on all my guns to ensure my support hand trigger finger can grip the trigger guard.

I wish I could rep you more.

I had issues going to my 1911 from mine 9mm. All I did to fix it was rounds down range. Once I figured it out. In very happy with my groups. Almost as good as my 9mm. But need more rounds down range

Now I need some kind of tape for the front trigger guard on all my guns to ensure my support hand trigger finger can grip the trigger guard.

Is this how you grip a pistol now?
Typically the support hand first finger is under the trigger guard, and overlapping the strong hand second finger.

Great! Loved this, he was awesome. (Nice accent too!)

But ... But ... Isn't that a Para SSP he's shooting? I thought I had the only one in the world that doesn't suck ....

ugh . . . I've found the M&P to be an exceptionally polarizing gun in terms of handling.

Personally, I've shot 3 different M&P's and couldn't hit anything.
With Glocks, CZ's and Sig's I can shoot exactly what I'm looking at .

I'm not sure why these guns would shoot better for me than others.

Back
Top Bottom