• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Adding length of pull to a old Browning A5

Upland

NES Member
I recently picked a 1950’s Browning A5 lightweight 12G. I need to add some length of pull. It’s at about 13 1/2” and I would like to add about 1”. Right now I use a slip on leather pad that works but would like something permanent that doesn’t look bad.

I’m interested to know peoples experiences with grind to fit but pads. I plan on doing the work myself. But I’m really open to any good advice or suggestions.

I reduced the LOP on my wife’s trap gun by 1.25”. I watched some videos on the interweb and ground the pad down to fit. I’d give myself a B+. Not perfect but not bad. I do have woodworking tools which really helps. I didn’t buy the jig but it’s not expensive. It would make the job easier. Wet sanding at the end gives it a finished look.

Adding LOP by buying a thicker pad would work but 1” seems a lot especially if the existing pad is a thick one.

Some pads have a hard core that you could expose if you grind too much. I think they sell by size so you’re not grinding excessively.

Properly fit spacers and a right sized grind to fit pad would do the trick. It is way harder than you think to do a good looking job and pro's charge about $60-80 for the service. Good luck if you take on the task, Sergey at Rustblue Gunsmithing did mine

Taking to Sergey is a good idea,$60-80 is reasonable. He could also fit it for me.
I’ve already changed the action spring,magazine spring and recoil spring as well as the bronze bushing. I also repaired the cracked for end and replaced the missing front bead. I also completely disassembled it and cleaned it.
The shotgun works perfectly. the wood and blueing definitely have that been there done that look which is all right with me.
I’m gonna use it for five stand and maybe short upland hunts, it’s probably over a pound more than my regular hunting shotgun.
It really is a interesting gun to tinker with.

If it doesn't have the right LOP it won't point right, and if you don't get hits it's useless. Mod away, you'll make jmb proud.

Back
Top Bottom