Added another M44 to the collection

rocket500

NES Member
Post war model here, 1946. One of the prettier ones I have seen, in my limited experience. The metal is excellent, no pitting or rust with very nice and even blued finish. Markings are all nice and clear. All numbers match. Bore is bright and shiny with good rifling. Barrel has been re-crowned. Almost all of the wood finish is very nice, just a few nicks. Very pleased with this one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
How's the condition of the T53's? When I see them for sale they generally look like they were buried and dug up.

One of them is OK (not even close to the shape of yours above), the other one looks like it was used to pound nails (literally a bunch of circle shaped dents on the side of the stock), then used as a shovel to bury itself, then dug up and shot. Hence why I need the m44, cuz neither of them will ever be pretty.[rofl]

Gotta love the mosin carbines! Loudest report of any rifle I've fired! Boooooom.

Here are some additional pics that might be of interest. The 1944 model is the more seasoned of the two- lots of additional markings on the receiver, which I expect pertain to arsenal refinishing.

The front part of the stock on the 1946 is interesting to me. Looks like some kind of repair, or perhaps an older stock that was recycled.

The pitted bore on the 1944 is visible, although that gun has a nice crown and is not counter bored.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 48
50 rounds thru today, shoots well. While the bore on the newer one is much nicer it does have some pitting in the throat area of the barrel now that I have it squeaky clean. But at 50yds shooting offhand I got groups of 3-4 inches. Rifle probably shoots better than I can.

Post war model here, 1946. One of the prettier ones I have seen, in my limited experience. The metal is excellent, no pitting or rust with very nice and even blued finish. Markings are all nice and clear. All numbers match. Bore is bright and shiny with good rifling. Barrel has been re-crowned. Almost all of the wood finish is very nice, just a few nicks. Very pleased with this one.

Are you sure your barrel is rec-crowned? I looked at the pics you posted later on in the thread and both seem to have rifling right to the end of the muzzle.

Are you sure your barrel is rec-crowned? I looked at the pics you posted later on in the thread and both seem to have rifling right to the end of the muzzle.

I think you might be confusing counterbored with recrowned?

Quite possible as I thought they were the same thing......what is the dif?

Counterbored is when the muzzle-end of the barrel (usually the last 2-3 inches of the bore but can be more I think) has been bored out using a drill or whatever the Russians used to remove damaged rifling. The damage is usually from improper/careless use of a cleaning rod being shoved into the bore. So that's when you'll see the rifling end before the muzzle.

Recrowning is just the very end of the bore/muzzle being recessed into a roundish depression, usually 11 degrees which they call a target crown I believe. Ensures the gases are pushing/propelling the bullet in a uniform manner if I understand it correctly. All this was explained to me by fellow NES Mosin expert/collector '50 BMG' as he recrowned my mosin for my archangel build.

Last edited:
Counterbored is when the muzzle-end of the barrel (usually the last 2-3 inches of the bore but can be more I think) has been bored out using a drill or whatever the Russians used to remove damaged rifling. The damage is usually from improper/careless use of a cleaning rod being shoved into the bore. So that's when you'll see the rifling end before the muzzle.

Recrowning is just the very end of the bore/muzzle being recessed into a roundish depression, usually 11 degrees which they call a target crown I believe. Ensures the gases are pushing/propelling the bullet in a uniform manner if I understand it correctly. All this was explained to me by fellow NES Mosin expert/collector '50 BMG' as he recrowned my mosin for my archangel build.

I learn something new every day here on NES! One of my mosins has been coutnerbored one has not........how would I tell if they were re-crowned?

how would I tell if they were re-crowned?

Nor sure if you could but more important question is why would you care? Counterboring is obvious at a glance and affects the collectability to purists, but recrowning probably isn't easily detected unless it was just done.

Recrowning can sometimes be determined if the muzzle is "in the white", meaning they didn't bother to refinish it. Not sure how common that was though.

The muzzle of the 1946 is in the white as mentioned above. It clearly has been cleaned up. It's not super easy to see in the pic due to the camera flash.

it is not counter bored however.

Nor sure if you could but more important question is why would you care? Counterboring is obvious at a glance and affects the collectability to purists, but recrowning probably isn't easily detected unless it was just done.

Um....sheer curiosity.....that is how I learn about shit......asking questions and waiting for intelligent answers.

[popcorn]

Last edited:
The muzzle of the 1946 is in the white as mentioned above. It clearly has been cleaned up. It's not super easy to see in the pic due to the camera flash.

it is not counter bored however.

Ahh.....I think I see what you are talking about......thanks.

See that JPM......I waited for an intelligent answer......and looky there......I got one [smile]

still waiting for an intelligent answer to why would you care but I'll settle for watching your avatar for a while[wink]

Just don't get anything on your screen.[shocked]

Oh....and I care for the same reason I wondered why the sky was blue with I was 5 years old. I learned that re-crowning is not necessarily important........but how would I have known that unless I asked?

Last edited:
I think I shot too many 12 gauge magnum loads out of a pump gun as a kid because I don't find the recoil to be unpleasant, despite the nice steel skull cracking plate the fit to the stock. I could shoot it all day.

Back
Top Bottom