Add Riverview in CT to the list collecting info...

I hate to see this happen, but unfortunately Riverview has gone the way of Dick's with collecting personal info. I was shocked when just buying a box of ammo, and a mag prompted the guy to ask for either my carry permit, or driver's license. Because I was already entered into their system from a previous firearms inquiry, he didn't have to re-enter the info, but it still bothered me anyway. I asked him if this was some new CT law, or just store policy, and he replied "yep, just new store policy, we have been doing this for about a month now". The last time I was there (about a month ago) I bought a bunch of ammo, and other stuff without even being asked for my DL, now this...[sad]

Papers please...papers.[pot]

I've stopped buying ammo from anywhere that doesn't have it out for me to pick up and take to the register myself. If a cabinet needs unlocked or it's behind the counter, then I go elsewhere or buy online.

+1

No Walmart/Dicks/whatever. Make my own or buy from real gunshops.

Well, at least they haven't gone that far yet! Almost 90% of the ammo is still right out in the aisles, but you do have to ask for the expensive SD stuff. The identification collection really bothers me because I'm sure that there is a record of EVERYTHING you buy there, not just firearms (which is kind of expected in these parts). I guess it just gives the BATFE more info when they subpoena store records about what else you have stockpiled besides the firearms they know about.

Guns, Inc. in West Springfield (formerly AAA Guns) does the same. I had already handed over my LTC at the back counter when I asked to see a rifle. No scanning there, but she asked for my DL at the register when I was buying empty brass, and scanned it with the barcode reader before I had a chance to ask why. My home address, home phone and my "customer number" all printed out on the receipt.
The best part? When I asked why they needed that info, she said several gun shops had been broken into, and they figure it's customers who cased the place previously. Nice. Now if they have a burglary, all their customers are suspects?
If that's their policy, I won't be back. Too bad. It's under new ownership, and I prefer to spend my $ with the locals, but Cabela's doesn't do this and they're just a half-hour away.

Guns, Inc. in West Springfield (formerly AAA Guns) does the same. I had already handed over my LTC at the back counter when I asked to see a rifle. No scanning there, but she asked for my DL at the register when I was buying empty brass, and scanned it with the barcode reader before I had a chance to ask why. My home address, home phone and my "customer number" all printed out on the receipt.
The best part? When I asked why they needed that info, she said several gun shops had been broken into, and they figure it's customers who cased the place previously. Nice. Now if they have a burglary, all their customers are suspects?
If that's their policy, I won't be back. Too bad. It's under new ownership, and I prefer to spend my $ with the locals, but Cabela's doesn't do this and they're just a half-hour away.

That is a really BS reason to be collecting info! If I was going to become a robbery suspect just because I shopped someplace they wouldn't get any business from me, that's for sure! Thanks for posting about this. I don't like that shop anyway, but this gives me an even better reason to stay away!

Pretty soon we won't be able to shop anywhere, they'll have all our information. Mass and Ct stores recording gun related purchases. This doesn't pass the smell test to me. This may be beyond the states.

Back
Top Bottom