• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AD militarty with expired LTC

Shooters-
I am active military my LTC expired. I am going home soon, and the way I read the laws I am still good to transport, carry and even buy and sell guns in the state. Please check my reading and recommend who I can call to confirm. I was going to call MSP.

MGL C. 140 S.131 (i)

Expiration and renewal
(i) A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years but not more than 6 years from the date of issue, except that if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid for a period of 90 days beyond the stated expiration date on the license, unless the application for renewal is denied. If the licensee is on active duty with the armed forces of the United States on the expiration date of his license, the license shall remain valid until the licensee is released from active duty and for a period of not less than 90 days following such release. Any renewal thereof shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years but not more than 6 years from the effective date of such license. Any license issued to an applicant born on February 29 shall expire on March 1. The fee for the application shall be $100, which shall be payable to the licensing authority and shall not be prorated or refunded in case of revocation or denial. The licensing authority shall retain $25 of the fee; $50 of the fee shall be deposited into the general fund of the commonwealth and not less than $50,000 of the funds deposited into the General Fund shall be allocated to the Firearm Licensing Review Board, established in section 130B, for its operations and that any funds not expended by said board for its operations shall revert back to the General Fund; and $25 of the fee shall be deposited in the Firearms Fingerprint Identity Verification Trust Fund. For law enforcement officials, or local, state, or federal government entities acting on their behalf, the fee for the application shall be set at $25, which shall be payable to the licensing authority and shall not be prorated or refunded in case of revocation or denial. The licensing authority shall retain $12.50 of the fee, and $12.50 of the fee shall be deposited into the general fund of the commonwealth. Notwithstanding any general or special law to the contrary, licensing authorities shall deposit such portion of the license application fee into the Firearms Record Keeping Fund quarterly, not later than January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1 of each year. For the purposes of section 10 of chapter 269, an expired license to carry firearms shall be deemed to be valid for a period not to exceed 90 days beyond the stated date of expiration, unless such license to carry firearms has been revoked.

Shooters-
I am active military my LTC expired. I am going home soon, and the way I read the laws I am still good to transport, carry and even buy and sell guns in the state. Please check my reading and recommend who I can call to confirm. I was going to call MSP.
While you are correct, the state has failed to implement anything in their MIRCS system that acknowledges the validity of a license during a grace period. As a result no dealer will sell you a gun during the grace period, and no private seller will be able to successfully report a lawful private sale via MIRCS. Dealers are sufficiently spooked that they will not even sell you ammo during the grace period.

. . . and to add to Rob's comments, most cops in MA never even heard of that exemption . . . even if they are Vets themselves!!!

Thanks for your service.

I'd print out that law from the state website and carry it with you as an "insurance policy".

I have my active duty ID which I always have on me. I did plan on going to the range while I was home. My mom has her LTC so worst case she could buy it for us. If they deny me based on my expired "but still active" LTC can I use my 03 FFL license to buy ammo in MA. The license was issues for MD (stationed) but should be good in MA right, I mean it is federal.

I have my active duty ID which I always have on me. I did plan on going to the range while I was home. My mom has her LTC so worst case she could buy it for us. If they deny me based on my expired "but still active" LTC can I use my 03 FFL license to buy ammo in MA. The license was issues for MD (stationed) but should be good in MA right, I mean it is federal.

Sorry no. C&R FFL is meaningless within MA. Must have a current LTC and almost no stores will have a clue about the AD non-expiration exemption, in fact I'd be shocked if even 1 store in MA knew about it and would act accordingly.

. . . and to add to Rob's comments, most cops in MA never even heard of that exemption . . . even if they are Vets themselves!!!

Thanks for your service.

I'd print out that law from the state website and carry it with you as an "insurance policy".
And, if you get arrested, ask to have the printout logged as evidence as part of the arrest.

When I was traveling thorough NY with handguns for matches, I would wrap the gun up in a copy of NY penal code 265.20(13) before putting it in a locked gun case and stowing in discretely.

The license was issues for MD (stationed) but should be good in MA right, I mean it is federal.
You're new to this MA gun law thing aren't you [smile]

I think Im going to contact the state police and get something in writing. I am not really too worried about getting arrested but always better safe than sorry.

I think Im going to contact the state police and get something in writing. I am not really too worried about getting arrested but always better safe than sorry.

And, if you get arrested, ask to have the printout logged as evidence as part of the arrest.

You're new to this MA gun law thing aren't you [smile]

See Rob's comment above (bolded).

MSP is beyond clueless wrt MGL on firearms. Ask 3 Troopers and you'll get 4 different answers and likely all will be wrong.

Don't believe us, as we don't know anything either . . . and good luck.

I believe you guys. I read the law and it is black and white. Who is the authority on these things, I would like something to have on me with some authority. In MD the MSP is the POC for most firearm related questions.

Executive Office of Public Safety. You won't get them to answer anything however. They may refer you to the Firearms Records Bureau but none of them are lawyers and even though they try to be helpful, their knowledge of MA gun law is very limited. They are a clerical function managing databases (as their name suggests).

OP:

The thing to remember about Mass laws is that they are

1) Complex
2) Irrelevant to 90% of the population
3) Cross-hatched with CMRs, hunting regs, local crap and "known facts"

My kid went to the local PD to get his FID - first, they told him he was to young (he was 15 with parental permission) then, they tried to charge $100 for what should be a $25 fee. Local PD was oblivious to all this, though my other son did the same thing 16 months prior.

My point? YOU have to know the laws, 'cause they don't have to...

I believe you guys. I read the law and it is black and white. Who is the authority on these things, I would like something to have on me with some authority. In MD the MSP is the POC for most firearm related questions.

The general position of state agencies is "We do not offer legal services or opinions to private individuals. You are encouraged to retain private counsel to give you legal advice."

Back
Top Bottom