• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Active shooter situation at California Marine Corps base

Reptile

NES Member
Military Police responded to shots fired at 6:30 a.m. PT at the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base.
Military police are responding to an active shooter situation at a major Marine Corps base in Southern California, officials said.

Military police responded to shots fired at 6:30 a.m. PT at the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center, Capt. Nicole Plymale, public affairs officer for the base, told Fox News.

There have been no reports of injuries at this time, Plymale said. Military police have the suspect cordoned off and are in contact with him. There is a shelter-in-place order in effect.

A screenshot of a text message security alert sent out at 7:07 a.m. said the entrance to the base and hospital were restricted.

“PLEASE SHELTER IN PLACE UNTIL NOTIFIED,” it read, according to the screenshot shared on Twitter.

This always grates on me.

I know firsthand the reasons why guns on post are controlled, but the notion that any active shooter on any military base can get more than two rounds deep without being capped from multiple directions just seems so wrong.

This always grates on me.

I know firsthand the reasons why guns on post are controlled, but the notion that any active shooter on any military base can get more than two rounds deep without being capped from multiple directions just seems so wrong.

what get seems wrong is he value we place on potential targets and targets that state actually care about are very well protected, unlike bases and schools.

this is the last thing i'd think of when referring to marines. [thinking]
I would figure the same.

I'd think they'd be falling over each other just to be the first to kill the shooter.

I never thought that run, hide, fight would be in that order from an organization that runs up hills to take territory.

OTOH, there is a whole entire sub-force of dudes who's job it is to handle this sort of thing.

While not nearly on the technical level, it's like your average 1st Sgt saying, "hey - they need us over there. I'm gonna go hop in that chopper and start it up." Choppering is NOT his job and should not be. Chopper pilots pilot choppers. Same here. Whatever they call the security force is supposed to handle this.

Not all Marines are combat Marines. I knew a guy that was an expert at training. 4 years in. Never saw a lick of combat. Gotta be. . . . . 2008ish he went in. 4 years. All he did was go from one training thing to another for 4 years. ???? He was a bit odd. But I found it amazing that we've got Marines who have NEVER heard a shot fired in combat. Especially during a time when we had a lot of guys overseas. He was stateside the entire time.

Of course, he came out with pretty much zero skills as well because he kept jumping around every 6 months.

But all that said - with no ammo on base for your typical Marine, and a force of folks who are supposed to take care of this, putting OTHER Marines in the mix is gonna be dangerous. Best to shelter in place, believe it or not. Sit tight and let XYZ do their job.

A friend of my son's was a TOW missile maintainer. He was deployed to Iraq and wanted to go out on combat patrols. The infantry guys told him no. Not because they didn't trust him. After all he went through boot camp and qualified. They told him that he was more valuable to them keeping those missiles and their launchers in working order. He'd save more Marines and likely help kill more of the enemy by doing his job.

The son of a friend of mine was a V-22 maintainer. Same thing. Doing his job was more important than going out on combat missions.

OTOH, I remember the story of a woman who joined the USMC Reserve in the late 1980s. She was a lawyer and so became an officer. During Desert Storm she was activated and told she was going to be assigned to an infantry unit. She said that she signed up to be a lawyer, not an infantry officer. The Marines told her she signed up. She sued and lost.

OTOH, there is a whole entire sub-force of dudes who's job it is to handle this sort of thing.

While not nearly on the technical level, it's like your average 1st Sgt saying, "hey - they need us over there. I'm gonna go hop in that chopper and start it up." Choppering is NOT his job and should not be. Chopper pilots pilot choppers. Same here. Whatever they call the security force is supposed to handle this.

Not all Marines are combat Marines. I knew a guy that was an expert at training. 4 years in. Never saw a lick of combat. Gotta be. . . . . 2008ish he went in. 4 years. All he did was go from one training thing to another for 4 years. ???? He was a bit odd. But I found it amazing that we've got Marines who have NEVER heard a shot fired in combat. Especially during a time when we had a lot of guys overseas. He was stateside the entire time.

Of course, he came out with pretty much zero skills as well because he kept jumping around every 6 months.

But all that said - with no ammo on base for your typical Marine, and a force of folks who are supposed to take care of this, putting OTHER Marines in the mix is gonna be dangerous. Best to shelter in place, believe it or not. Sit tight and let XYZ do their job.

Commissary at Hanscom AFB has a no firearms sticker on door and now they have a ID checker at the door. Was there last week, base is like a ghost town. Only things open are PX/Commissary. Pulled up to the back gate, showed ID, Airman asked where I was headed and waved thru. Drove to Commissary and started walking in when cruiser pulled up and young SF Airman got out and slung his M4 across chest and started walking in with me. We chatted about base lockdown and when we entered young female asked for my ID and then looked at SF and said "no guns allowed" to him. They both laughed and we walked in. Good thing she didn't ask me if I was carrying.

All Marines are rifleman first regardless of MOS.

It’s disgusting that we don’t allow our service members to defend themselves in their own country IMO. I know your not making that arguement.

That’s like saying a gun owner shouldn’t defend themselves because it’s the Police’s job.

OTOH, I remember the story of a woman who joined the USMC Reserve in the late 1980s. She was a lawyer and so became an officer. During Desert Storm she was activated and told she was going to be assigned to an infantry unit. She said that she signed up to be a lawyer, not an infantry officer. The Marines told her she signed up. She sued and lost.

What you remember is all patently false.
In the Marine Corps, ground combat MOSs opened up to women in 2016.
The first female Marine officer to receive the Infantry Officer MOS (0302) was in September 2017.
Lawyers are one of only two USMC officer MOSs that don't compete for their MOS assignment.
Being a lawyer doesn't automatically make them an officer.
A person must already be a graduate of a law school, earned a commission, and then graduate from The Basic School to be a Marine officer.
If they are already a lawyer, then they are going to be a lawyer and they will be assigned an MOS in the 4400 OccFld.

Back
Top Bottom