• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Active shooter scenario training for school

jeffC

NES Member
Hey guys. Figured this was the best spot to reach out.
One of my clients is interested in getting a specialized company to come in and do a 2 hour “active shooter” training scenario for the staff. They’re looking for a “run hide fight” type of breakdown.
As of the past 10 years, they’ve been using the local pd for the training, who uses ALICE videos and a vid, made by local high schoolers. But, due to recent events, they’ve decided that this training is a bit too watered down, and nerfed. Can anyone recommend a company that does this type of thing?
Facility is in MA, and is a school setting. That means, they’re looking for something with a slight edge, that has real world statistics and techniques… minus the pics of dead bodies, etc.
any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

I just did a two day course with these folks for the FD:

(Course was in Lynnfield, MA).

Training was geared towards FD/PD active shooter response; not sure if they have anything specifically geared towards schools/educators.

Very well run training, possibly a good starting point? (Or perhaps they could point you in the right direction if not?)

Last edited:
I used to be part of a group that trained our department for annual active shooter training, but it was geared to first responders who were armed.

I have no idea if anyone teaches the run hide fight training as a force on force type thing. I also advise not to take out the pictures of dead kids. Yeah it’s hard to look at and let people leave if they can’t deal with it. It should be left in to prepare people for what they may see.

Someone in the school district or the local PD should have a lead on trainers for this kind of thing.

We've always used the PD. It's not watered down for us.

Whatever company they pick, the principal would be wise to coordinate with the pd to make sure the material taught does not conflict with the local PD's SOPs. Like it or not, the local CoP and the Superintendent have an important role to play here.

I think he might be better off discussing his training concerns with the PD and telling them to include more stuff. I think it's unlikely that the superintendent will prefer ALICE training provided by a rec from an internet forum, vs the town's own chief law enforcer. That's just my guess based on the towns I've worked with.

We've always used the PD. It's not watered down for us.

Whatever company they pick, the principal would be wise to coordinate with the pd to make sure the material taught does not conflict with the local PD's SOPs. Like it or not, the local CoP and the Superintendent have an important role to play here.

I think he might be better off discussing his training concerns with the PD and telling them to include more stuff. I think it's unlikely that the superintendent will prefer ALICE training provided by a rec from an internet forum, vs the town's own chief law enforcer. That's just my guess based on the towns I've worked with.
I guarantee you this school is unlike any school you’ve ever worked with.
Thanks for your input. But the pd relies HEAVILY on PD response, Promising the client a sub 2 min response time.
Bullshit.
For all intents and purposes, I AM the superintendent… and I’m relying on this PARTICULAR Internet forum to give me some recommendations based off of the wealth of knowledge that I’ve accumulated from members in my 10+ years as an active member here. Again. Thanks for your input.

I have nothing good to add here except that, when a family member of mine who is a teacher/social worker (New Hampshire) was looking for something like this, nothing was available for the civilian market. It was all for LEO/PD/TR teams, who would then go teach a watered down version to schools. The big issue was, from what I got, the discomfort around teaching teachers and staff how to "fight." That and various PDs want you to do different things, and there was very little unison across the district on a singular response goal. This is to say, some police departments emphasized the hide component because they want to clearly know who is the shooter. Plus, in a school setting, some people have disabilities, some are much older, etc. and depending on the training, it can set certain individuals up to be left behind. Which "wasn't fair."

In all cases, the PDs basically emphasized how fast their response time would be. A few spoke up and said something along the lines of (insert the # of minutes here) is too long for an AS scenario, but the low time response promised tended to hit the "okay" mark for the school(s).

Good luck finding something. This is the exact kind of practical training we need (and perhaps always needed), yet it is very limited to the civilian market despite civilians being the targets.

For all intents and purposes, I AM the superintendent…

Okay.

Then I recommend you sign off on teachers carrying in your school, which you can currently do. Provide them that training, instead.

Okay.

Then I recommend you sign off on teachers carrying in your school, which you can currently do. Provide them that training, instead.
We have plain clothes, armed security on site every day 😉.
Like I said… this place is doing things RIGHT. Even had austere medical training for 60% of the staff last year. Everyone is now training to use an IFAK, and every room has a dump bag with IFAKS.
We did this shortly after Uvalde

Back
Top Bottom