Active shooter response tool coming to Taunton schools. What is it?

Since the 3-D map seems like it will be funded partially or wholly with taxpayer's dollars, does that put it's availability into the realm of public domain? Evildoers FOIA's the plan(s) and now we gave them everything for a whole municipal district on a silver platter...

I'd bet 9/10 times a teacher with a gun would use it when the shooter got to their classroom. Not recommending teachers try to hunt the shooter down in the hallways.

Totally agree. I think a lot of people imagine armed teachers as vigilante mini-Rambos, creeping through the halls. Nope. An armed teacher would be best placed behind a locked door, between their students and the door, with their gat ready for whatever comes through.

I think of a handgun as a defensive weapon. I'm not thinking offense against anything or anybody without a rifle.

Since the 3-D map seems like it will be funded partially or wholly with taxpayer's dollars, does that put it's availability into the realm of public domain? Evildoers FOIA's the plan(s) and now we gave them everything for a whole municipal district on a silver platter...

This is a valid concern, but think of it this way: the majority of HS shootings are done by students AT THAT SCHOOL. Those shooters already know everything about the building, its access, and the school's response.

This is a valid concern, but think of it this way: the majority of HS shootings are done by students AT THAT SCHOOL. Those shooters already know everything about the building, its access, and the school's response.
Thats the concern. That capability to collect "tribal knowledge" and be as effective has just been made easier, damn near gov't provided.

.02 is all...

Thats the concern. That capability to collect "tribal knowledge" and be as effective has just been made easier, damn near gov't provided.

.02 is all...

Well, sure, but I don't know if you're picking up what I'm putting down. A shooter who's spent more than three months in any given school building knows far, far more than what any diagram can give him.

No insider needs this kind of thing. I can only see how it might be useful for people who are NOT in the building every day. I'm sure no potential school shooter who is a member of that school community is going to make a go-nogo decision based on this one interactive diagram. For outsider shooters, it's not hard to gain access to school buildings. Just show up for a basketball game and wander the halls, "looking for a bathroom." Recon is not a problem in schools, which is one of the reasons they're soft targets.

I guess I'm saying the benefits outweigh the harms, to me. Though not at any cost; I'm still not sure how much they shelled out for this thing.

Well, sure, but I don't know if you're picking up what I'm putting down. A shooter who's spent more than three months in any given school building knows far, far more than what any diagram can give him.

No insider needs this kind of thing. I can only see how it might be useful for people who are NOT in the building every day. I'm sure no potential school shooter who is a member of that school community is going to make a go-nogo decision based on this one interactive diagram. For outsider shooters, it's not hard to gain access to school buildings. Just show up for a basketball game and wander the halls, "looking for a bathroom." Recon is not a problem in schools, which is one of the reasons they're soft targets.

I guess I'm saying the benefits outweigh the harms, to me. Though not at any cost; I'm still not sure how much they shelled out for this thing.
On top of this, Harris and Klebold built their own map to practice on their own. If that was available in 99, better is available today. Pretending that "if not for the official map" they wouldn't have access is just silly.

Somebody should file a freedom of information act request just approve how stupid the ideas in a lot of situations. It has some value don’t get me wrong but I feel like the police department should have a basic idea of the layout of the schools in their district. As far as bringing in outside support. Aren’t there already blueprints for everyone of these buildings at Townhall?

It seems like spending money for spending money sake rather than addressing a problem

Agreed but most teachers want nothing to do with it. My cousin is a long time teacher in the Sturbridge school system and she told me she’d quit if guns were allowed in school. She was with some friends and they all agreed. I’m sure some would carry but I bet it would be a very low number. But some is better then none in my opinion.
I hope they vote to allow teachers with guns so all the idiots can quit.

Is she fine with the gov forcing vaccines?

It seems like spending money for spending money sake rather than addressing a problem

Might be.

A lot of public budgets work that way: use it or lose it. A budget surplus at the end of one year leads to a budget decrease next year, so they make sure they spend it all.

Or? Could be COVID money. There's a time limit to spend that. I mean, they could give it back, but... [rofl]

Might be.

A lot of public budgets work that way: use it or lose it. A budget surplus at the end of one year leads to a budget decrease next year, so they make sure they spend it all.

Or? Could be COVID money. There's a time limit to spend that. I mean, they could give it back, but... [rofl]
I know that’s how it works but why not spend it on something useful. These are people just doing something to act like they did something. Why don’t they just spend it on extra reams of paper or something. I know it’s probably budgeted towards school security but I find it hard to believe they couldn’t come up with something better than that.

I know that’s how it works but why not spend it on something useful. These are people just doing something to act like they did something. Why don’t they just spend it on extra reams of paper or something. I know it’s probably budgeted towards school security but I find it hard to believe they couldn’t come up with something better than that.

...because it's 2022. Every student has a laptop. Very few schools use much paper anymore, or textbooks.

I mean, what else are they going to spend it on, if it's enough $$$ for something like this but not enough $$$$$ for bulletproof doors? They might have just been looking for a product that fit the amount available, and there you go.

It would certainly help with future renovations. Make the architect's and civil engineer's job much easier. But as far as providing defense against an armed and determined individual? Not so much!
"... a set of 3-D maps and “layouts” of all 12 schools in Taunton."

Oooh. That'll solve everything.

Darn, I was hoping that it was one of these:

Or one of these….

The way I see it, arming the staff makes a shooter think twice before he even enters the grounds, I mean its the "gun behind every blade of grass" saying.
Like a few pointed out already, the staff are not going to wonder the hallways looking for trouble, they will hunker down and try to protect themselves and the kids.

Local PD should interact with staff and really get to know the ones that might carry, this way the see the face behind the gun before they act. If all that fails and one of the staff ends up getting clipped, but stopped the threat or slowed it down, then that's the way the chips fell.
At least give the staff a fighting chance to try and stop it.

Totally agree. I think a lot of people imagine armed teachers as vigilante mini-Rambos, creeping through the halls. Nope. An armed teacher would be best placed behind a locked door, between their students and the door, with their gat ready for whatever comes through.

I think of a handgun as a defensive weapon. I'm not thinking offense against anything or anybody without a rifle.
exactly. That's exactly how I'd imagine myself in such a situation...push all the kids as far from door as possible and just set up next to the door ready to shoot if the shooter gets in. I have 0 interest in playing operator roaming the halls to get the bad guy.

If he has body armor and a rifle, well I'm outmatched but at least not just standing in a puddle of my own piss begging for my life and the lives of the kids.

exactly. That's exactly how I'd imagine myself in such a situation...push all the kids as far from door as possible and just set up next to the door ready to shoot if the shooter gets in. I have 0 interest in playing operator roaming the halls to get the bad guy.

If he has body armor and a rifle, well I'm outmatched but at least not just standing in a puddle of my own piss begging for my life and the lives of the kids.

Yeah. There was a time when I was probably fit to go hunt down a shooter, but those days are past for me.

By the same token, if I'm roaming the halls with a gun during a school shooting, I'm fully expecting the cops to blow me away too. No thanks.

So they 3D scanned the building and sucked it into Autodesk ReCap Pro and sent the recap file to the PD….who can open it in a free viewer. I’ve been using scans of building for years in the architectural field. Expensive to create as the scanner are very expensive. They will be useful in see the building and where shooter might be able to hide, but unless you know exactly where a shooter is falls short, but it could be used in conjunction with live stream cameras and that would be very useful. However, that would require cameras is all areas if the school and that’s not going to fly.

So they 3D scanned the building and sucked it into Autodesk ReCap Pro and sent the recap file to the PD….who can open it in a free viewer. I’ve been using scans of building for years in the architectural field. Expensive to create as the scanner are very expensive. They will be useful in see the building and where shooter might be able to hide, but unless you know exactly where a shooter is falls short, but it could be used in conjunction with live stream cameras and that would be very useful. However, that would require cameras is all areas if the school and that’s not going to fly.

Actually, modern schools (new construction) do have cameras covering everything except the bathrooms and most of the classrooms. Any common area is going to be on a camera somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom