Active shooter on the roadways in Dallas, 2 dead already

The guy appears to be targeting random big rigs and has racked up 2 dead already.

2 killed, 1 hurt in Dallas-area road shootings
By REGINA L. BURNS – 1 hour ago
DALLAS (AP) — Authorities pressed a manhunt Tuesday for a gunman in a pickup truck who is suspected of killing two people and injuring another in a series of rush hour shootings on Dallas-area roads.
The suspect was last seen Monday evening heading west on Interstate 635, which loops Dallas and connects to other interstates, said Sgt. Gil Cerda, a Dallas police spokesman.
The shootings happened within minutes of each other. Afterward, rush hour traffic slowed along the highway as police shut down all westbound lanes of 635 east of the shooting scenes for several hours.
"I'm getting shot at! I think I'm shot!" the injured big rig driver said in a radio call to his employer, according to a report by The Dallas Morning News.
The employer, Jesse Medford, terminal manager with Dugan Truck Line, told the newspaper that he instructed his driver to pull over, and Medford then called 911.
The driver was injured by debris and glass but not struck by a bullet.
Police had a few witnesses after the shootings and were hoping to contact more. "We've got detectives working," Cerda said.
The first shooting occurred around 5:45 p.m. Monday in Garland, a Dallas suburb. A pickup truck heading south on a major road pulled up alongside a small Nissan stopped at a red light and began shooting, police spokesman Joe Harn said. The Nissan driver was killed.
Witnesses told police the pickup then drove off toward I-635 in Dallas, where an 18-wheeler was shot at shortly after. The driver of the 18-wheeler was not hurt, police said.
The suspect continued west on the highway, then shot and killed the driver of a United Van Lines 18-wheeler rig, Cerda said.
Then the suspect drove about a quarter- to a half-mile on the interstate and fired at Medford's employee driving an 18-wheeler.
The driver told Medford that he did not know who was shooting and could not give a detailed description of the assailant, The Dallas Morning News reported.
"He didn't say anything about any type of road rage," Medford said.
Police are looking for a suspect described as a balding white man in his 40s, driving a tan Ford F-150 extended cab pickup.
The driver killed in the first shooting was identified as 20-year-old Jorge Lopez, of Rowlett. The identity of the rig driver who was killed was not immediately available.
Associated Press writer Anabelle Garay contributed to this report.

Last edited:
Those damn tools of the devil! If no one invented them no one would kill people!

I know if somebody had shot at my rig & was stupid enough to pull up next to me, I'd have jammed 50 tons of steel & chrome into the side of their car & put them IN THE WALL. Then I'd get out & empty a magazine into them. They endangered not only the truck driver, but everyone around him on that highway.

Dumb sh*ts. People like that don't deserve oxygen.

Almost seems like the shooter was trying to make a big rig crash on the highway and close it down. Maybe to stop any pursuit that would be coming up behind him. Hummmmm, tan F-150 in Texas. Can't be that hard to find him. Theres only got to be 3 or 4 hundred thousand of them in the state. .

It's Texas. At this very minute, the word is spreading over the scanners about a suspect in a pickup shooting at big rigs, and every truck driver in the state has an AR or shotgun on the dashboard now.

Yes, tactically, it's very different.

From a civic/social impact, I think it might be similar. Unless he's apprehended quickly.

Point, although I think the chances of him getting shot in return are exponentially higher down there than in Maryland/DC.

This reminds me of a Jesse Ventura interview. He basically said that if Al-Qaeda (or other terrorist network) dispatched five to ten 2-man sniper teams throughout the United States; Everything would grind to a halt. Nobody would go to work, nobody would get gas, nobody would go shopping.

This reminds me of a Jesse Ventura interview. He basically said that if Al-Qaeda (or other terrorist network) dispatched five to ten 2-man sniper teams throughout the United States; Everything would grind to a halt. Nobody would go to work, nobody would get gas, nobody would go shopping.

Could you imagine what would happen of they(terrorists) pulled off a couple grenade attacks at schools and malls. Roll a few into food courts and lob them through classroom windows. Grinding this country to a halt with a few easily executed attacks is scarily possible.

If a few hit and run Mumbai style attacks occurred in rapid succession fear would paralyze this country.

Could you imagine what would happen of they(terrorists) pulled off a couple grenade attacks at schools and malls.
I honestly expected that to happen on Black Friday of 2001. Still don't understand why AQ didn't follow up 9/11 with something like that.

Oh well...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081224/ap_on_re_us/dallas_shootings

Police: Dallas shooting suspect is ex-Utah trooper

By Jeff Carlton, Associated Press Writer – 17 mins ago

DALLAS – A man suspected in a series of rush hour shootings near Dallas is a former Utah state trooper wanted on burglary and robbery warrants who apparently shot himself after a standoff with police, authorities said Tuesday

Brian Smith, 37, killed at least one of the victims of Monday's shootings, Dallas police Lt. Craig Miller said. Investigators tied Smith to a killing in Dallas because by matching the bullets found at the standoff, he said.

"We feel safe in saying (Smith) ... was the shooter," Miller said.

Dallas police declined to comment on a second death in neighboring Garland, where the standoff took place, because it was out of their jurisdiction.

Garland police spokesman Joe Harn said his department has not been able to make a definitive connection between Smith and the killing there, but acknowledged that he fit the description of the highway shooter: a balding, 40ish white man.

"We certainly hope it is him," Harn said. "But we are going to have to see more concrete evidence."

Two people were shot and killed and another person was injured by broken glass in four shootings along or near a Dallas-area highway Monday evening. Police believe the victims were selected at random.

Smith was in critical condition Tuesday night at a Dallas hospital from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police said he shot himself in the head early Tuesday morning after a brief standoff more than six hours after the shooting spree ended.

Smith had been a Utah state trooper since 1996 but retired in May because of "personal issues," said Sgt. Jeff Nigbur, a spokesman for the Utah Department of Public Safety.

The crime spree appears to have begun in Garland, where a man police identified as Smith jumped over a pharmacy counter at a grocery store and stole Oxycontin pills.

Minutes later, the first shooting happened in Garland when a driver pulled up alongside a small Nissan stopped at a red light and began shooting, Harn said. The Nissan's driver, 20-year-old Jorge "George" Lopez of Rowlett, was killed.

Minutes later on the same highway, a gunman shot and killed 42-year-old William Scott Miller, the driver of a United Van Lines rig, police Lt. Craig Miller said. Police said the driver, who was about to fly home to his wife and two young daughters in Frankfort, Ky., for the holidays, was able to bring his truck safely to a stop before he died.

"The act he did in and of itself I consider to be heroic," Lt. Miller said. "Despite being mortally wounded, he was able to control his rig to the point where other drivers weren't injured."

After the shooting of Miller, another semitrailer was fired upon a half-mile away on the same interstate. The driver, 46-year-old Gary Roberts, was injured by debris and glass but not struck by any bullets. His right eye was hit by shattered glass and he needed several stitches in his fingers, said Bedford Wilhite, who works with Roberts at Dugan Truck Line.

Roberts is home recuperating after being treated at a hospital, Wilhite said. Roberts, who has worked for Dugan for about a year, told Wilhite he is "much blessed and thankful to be alive."

This story MAY still have a happy ending. That depends on whether this POS doesn't pull through.

Last edited:
I honestly expected that to happen on Black Friday of 2001. Still don't understand why AQ didn't follow up 9/11 with something like that.

No need. Sometimes less is more. Case in point, nothing of import in this country for 8 years and here on NES we mention what ifs at least once a day. They got what they wanted. Fear. Constant bombardment doesn't breed fear, it breeds courage.

Not a happy ending, just a less sad one.

And frankly one that won't grab the evening news any longer because it was an anointed one who did the shooting. All they will talk about is his mental breakdown from years of a stressful job, etc, and ad nauseam. This one no longer fits the story line.

Yea but he will still help drive up the Brady Bunches stats that beleive only police and military should have guns.

I know if somebody had shot at my rig & was stupid enough to pull up next to me, I'd have jammed 50 tons of steel & chrome into the side of their car & put them IN THE WALL. Then I'd get out & empty a magazine into them. They endangered not only the truck driver, but everyone around him on that highway.

Dumb sh*ts. People like that don't deserve oxygen.

So tell us how you really feel, A. Don't hold back!

Thanks for speaking from your gut.

Darius

I wonder why he decided to start shooting truckers.

It seems kind of odd to axe some foreign named guy driving a Nissan then decide to start shooting guys in rigs.

Perhaps the first guy was the target then he figured "Oh what the heck, I'm up the river already."

Back
Top Bottom