Active shooter Lee NH market basket

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[thumbsup]

My EDC is a Sig P220 DA/SA Compact. One in the chamber, decocked. I rarely do so (and would draw lots of ridicule from the NES millennial mall ninjas) but I'd also carry a 1911 cocked and locked. I'm OK taking the hits for dislike of striker fired carry w/ one in the pipe. Occasionally I will do so with my Glocks but don't like the chance of a ND. I'll bet the percentage of ND's tilt grossly towards striker fired designs. Is it the design or the number of boneheads who prefer Glocks, M&P's, etc?

Glad OP's friend's daughter is safe.
Almost anything that would cause a Glock to ND will cause any other gun, besides one with a safety on, to fire.
My answer further down, a lot in this one to give my opinion on :D. Day 5 or 6, I've lost track, of quarantine.....

Same with OP's daughter. Yeah, I have a G17 that had a NY police trigger that I measured was something like 11lbs or something crazy like that IIRC. Attilla sent me a better one free of charge which was cool. I'm not sure where I stand on it all really, I think my dad (retired Army Colonel brainwashed me as a kid to always keep the safety on when we would go to the range) As for the 1911, I have no valuable opinion at all as I've never had the pleasure of owning one :oops:
The cool thing about the 1911 design is that it's a VERY natural safety manipulation. Almost as soon as you have a proper grip on the pistol, your thumb is on the safety. Mine (SA 1911A1 and a Kimber Warrior) have a very positive 'click' when the safety goes on or off. Not a lot of effort, but a positive feedback activating the safety.

Mall ninja is just stirring the sh!t with those who are 'OMG YOU WILL DIE IF YOU DON'T CARRY WITH ONE IN THE CHAMBER'. The video I linked to was a guy with what I think is a G43. The consensus is that he jammed clothing- shirt probably, in with the gun when he holstered it. As he bent over, clothing was tugged outward and hooked the trigger. Basically he paid stupid tax for improperly holstering his gun. It's happened before, or at least that's what some ND's have been attributed to.

Anywho, my EDC is DA/SA with a decocker so there's no reason to worry about one in the pipe. My summer / super concealment carry is a G43- admittedly with one in the pipe. Though I have many, striker fired pistols are not my favorites. Shitty triggers all and carrying with one in the pipe is like carrying a revolver with the hammer cocked. OK, slight exaggeration- but only slight. [devil]
I like the Kydex pocker holster for carrying a G43. Sure, it's now a widebody crunchenticker, but the small nine you have with you beats the Glock 17 you left in the safe. I never holster the gun in my pocket. When the gun comes out to fire, I always remove the holster from my pocket and insert the gun before putting the pair back in the pocket, since it fully covers the trigger guard. Shoving a loaded Glock into a pocket with an unprotected trigger guard does not seem wise.
You describe a very careful situation that would indeed minimize the possibility of an ND. BUT you seem oblivious to what has been, more than once, identified as the cause of an ND with a Glock. That being clothing getting caughts inside the trigger guard. So how careful are you being if you haven't considered this possible cause of an ND? Shouldn't you stay current with what has happened to others.
The last 3: (not directed directly at anyone in particular, just a general Captain Obvious comment)
Don't fingerjerk your guns. A loaded weapon isn't a toy, put it in the proper receptacle and leave it alone. I'd say from experience, most ND's are because people are messing with their guns and not paying attention (especially LEOS). Even a safety isn't completely idiot proof, you have to activate it. I don't 'download' it (except to clean it, before some smart donkey chimes in), I don't even remove it from the holster it's in unless I'm switching from my duty gear to conceal carry. I leave it the f alone, I treat it like the tool it is.

We just transitioned to Glocks, I'm uncomfortably awaiting a rash of ND's from people 'cleaning' their guns. It's my one real issue with Glocks. You can mess up with most guns and just get a surprise when you remove the barrel, the Glock 'surprise' is a bit louder.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Almost anything that would cause a Glock to ND will cause any other gun, besides one with a safety on, to fire.
My answer further down, a lot in this one to give my opinion on :D. Day 5 or 6, I've lost track, of quarantine.....

The cool thing about the 1911 design is that it's a VERY natural safety manipulation. Almost as soon as you have a proper grip on the pistol, your thumb is on the safety. Mine (SA 1911A1 and a Kimber Warrior) have a very positive 'click' when the safety goes on or off. Not a lot of effort, but a positive feedback activating the safety.

The last 3: (not directed directly at anyone in particular, just a general Captain Obvious comment)
Don't fingerjerk your guns. A loaded weapon isn't a toy, put it in the proper receptacle and leave it alone. I'd say from experience, most ND's are because people are messing with their guns and not paying attention (especially LEOS). Even a safety isn't completely idiot proof, you have to activate it. I don't 'download' it (except to clean it, before some smart donkey chimes in), I don't even remove it from the holster it's in unless I'm switching from my duty gear to conceal carry. I leave it the f alone, I treat it like the tool it is.

We just transitioned to Glocks, I'm uncomfortably awaiting a rash of ND's from people 'cleaning' their guns. It's my one real issue with Glocks. You can mess up with most guns and just get a surprise when you remove the barrel, the Glock 'surprise' is a bit louder.
I would only disagree regarding the effort to ND a Glock vs. the DA/SA Sig. In double mode the Sig takes more force over a longer travel to hit the go button. Force X Distance = Work. More effort.

Reactions: DPR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a crack in the frame between the cylinder and the hammer? Hard to tell.
Not sure if serious, but since my humor detector is weak, I'll give a serious answer.

That crack you have observed is actually where the removable sideplate meets the frame. So the just slightly visible line is actually a mark of quality. In fact, on this particular example, the part of join line you noticed up by the hammer is not particularly good. That part of the fitting is acceptable, but if you look closely, you can see that the line continues down in a smooth curve towards the bottom of the cylinder. The rest of the line is more typical of the fine fitting on these revolvers.

If I had to count on a pistol in a bad situation, I would be perfectly comfortable if it was a model 10.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure if serious, but since my humor detector is weak, I'll give a serious answer.

That crack you have observed is actually where the removable sideplate meets the frame. So the just slightly visible line is actually a mark of quality. In fact, on this particular example, the part of join line you noticed up by the hammer is not particularly good. That part of the fitting is acceptable, but if you look closely, you can see that the line continues down in a smooth curve towards the bottom of the cylinder. The rest of the line is more typical of the fine fitting on these revolvers.

If I had to count on a pistol in a bad situation, I would be perfectly comfortable if it was a model 10.
Not familiar with the mod 10 S&W so it was a real question. CRSIII sent me a picture via PM that showed that seam with the firearm broken down to it's separate parts. Ya learn something everyday.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
No, I'm well aware of the danger of catching clothing in the trigger guard as you holster the firearm. It's one of the things we watch for as SO's, and something I pay attention to when I re-holster.

But using "loose clothing" as an indictment of carrying a chambered striker fire pistol isn't the answer. The answer to loose clothing is that you pay attention when you re-holster.
But what you said was "What has "loose clothing" got to do with this?", so my comment was on what you said.

This ^^
I've been asked, when talking guns, to see my carry. Sorry No! Another time maybe, when it's not my carry. It's not a toy for show and tell.

I would only disagree regarding the effort to ND a Glock vs. the DA/SA Sig. In double mode the Sig takes more force over a longer travel to hit the go button. Force X Distance = Work. More effort.
This^^
It's why I prefer a DA/SA as a carry (still isn't stopping me from moving to a P365, with safety). A manual safety, with practice isn't a big deal, it become automatic during the draw. And the first round DA does slow it down, more force, more travel equals more time, no way around that. But I'm OK with that, I like the added safety of a DA and putting that first shot on target is more important. And that's just practice. The extra force and travel will also make an ND less likely. I'm good with that trade.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Lol only on nes could a thread devolve into a condition 1 debate thread including the usual suspects that shit on striker fired handguns (that, well, millions of people in LE and otherwise somehow miraculously carry without shooting themselves, every day. )

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsOJuDX8nr4
Hey, it's on topic- there was early supposition that the perp had a ND. If he had a 1911 or typical Sig I bet that supposition would have been put to rest immediately. [laugh]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
‘Zactly - a social work and a psychologist. What’s with SWAT and a Bearcat? Slo Joe said a beat cop could just shoot such guys in the leg to flesh-wound them.
They are trained to shoot them in the leg.

Poor guy just released from a Maine prison for a burglary charge. There goes his chance for a job in high finance. Such a happy soul;....

Wild guess. Alcohol involved? Right near the state liquor store.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm well aware of the danger of catching clothing in the trigger guard as you holster the firearm. It's one of the things we watch for as SO's, and something I pay attention to when I re-holster.

But using "loose clothing" as an indictment of carrying a chambered striker fire pistol isn't the answer. The answer to loose clothing is that you pay attention when you re-holster.
A photo seen by my friend had one of the interviewed Lee PD officers holding a revolver. They have no idea how many shots were fired. The witnesses stated "between one and thirteen".

Reactions: AHM

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
But what you said was "What has "loose clothing" got to do with this?", so my comment was on what you said.

This ^^
I've been asked, when talking guns, to see my carry. Sorry No! Another time maybe, when it's not my carry. It's not a toy for show and tell.

This^^
It's why I prefer a DA/SA as a carry (still isn't stopping me from moving to a P365, with safety). A manual safety, with practice isn't a big deal, it become automatic during the draw. And the first round DA does slow it down, more force, more travel equals more time, no way around that. But I'm OK with that, I like the added safety of a DA and putting that first shot on target is more important. And that's just practice. The extra force and travel will also make an ND less likely. I'm good with that trade.
I’m also a fan of the DA/SA for safety reasons and I ultimately went w the 365 without the Safety (I have two in fact). I’m a yuge fan of the 365 and I prefer striker fire guns without safeties in general. That being said, I handled a 365 w the Safety on it a couple of weeks ago for the first time, I hated the 365 safety. It was very far back on the frame making it difficult for me to to easily sweep w my thumb and it’s also a hinge type safety, it doesn’t go straight up and down it goes in an arc. I give them an A For the gun and an F for the safety.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

jeepchute

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not familiar with the mod 10 S&W so it was a real question. CRSIII sent me a picture via PM that showed that seam with the firearm broken down to it's separate parts. Ya learn something everyday.
Ditto, learned something new. Damn, something else to add to the long list.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point is simply, if you 'jam' a gun into a holster, the difference between 5ish lbs and 8ish lbs isn't a 'big' difference.

When I holster, I'm always aware of how easy it goes back in. In the winter, my jacket would sometimes interfere, as soon as I felt resistance, I checked. If I just jammed it in, I could have easily had a ND, and a memo, followed by days on the beach.

Bt74

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Glock Surprise:glock hand.jpg

In God We Trust

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I mostly carry unchambered when I carry a semi. I do it for several reasons.

I don’t want to worry about changing rounds all the time so it doesn’t get stuffed down into the casing.

It’s easier to unload

It’s safer.

I’m also quite comfortable carry chambered, I just don’t see the need. I also don’t care about hyperbolic scenarios. I’m happy, it’s my gun, EABOD if you don’t like it. 🤗 I also mainly carry a wheel gun 99% of the time.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I mostly carry unchambered when I carry a semi. I do it for several reasons.

I don’t want to worry about changing rounds all the time so it doesn’t get stuffed down into the casing.

It’s easier to unload

It’s safer.

I’m also quite comfortable carry chambered, I just don’t see the need. I also don’t care about hyperbolic scenarios. I’m happy, it’s my gun, EABOD if you don’t like it. 🤗 I also mainly carry a wheel gun 99% of the time.
Wait, how do you carry a wheel gun with nothing in the chamber? You just mean unloaded right"? [wink]

Top Bottom