• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Active shooter in TX

This is a really good (but really long) article that looks at a kid that was planning a school shooting. It explains how the type of kid who used to obsess over chemistry sets is now obsessing over school shootings. A lot of these kids have Autism Spectrum Disorders (used to be called Aspergers). The Texas kid seems like this.

If the media focused their energy on stuff like this instead of blaming guns, because maybe they could start training teachers and school staff to recognize the warning signs.

How School Shootings Spread

They really should be training parents to recognize the warning signs. For most high school teachers (the age where most of these atrocities occur) the teachers don't spend a whole lot of time with the kids. They may see 100 or more kids over the course of the day in groups of 20~30+ for an hour or an hour and a half per day, most of that time requiring the kids to sit quietly. There isn't really a lot of time to evaluate that everyone's behavior for warning signs.

In a lot of cases, these "warning signs" will be found in every single student, and almost all of them would never hurt anyone. I was in 8th grade when the Columbine massacre happened. Shortly afterward, there was a release to look for kids who exhibit certain behaviors. Among them were things like listening to Marylin Manson and playing Doom and spending more time with one or two close friends than with their parents. These "warning signs" were exhibited by literally every boy in my class as well as half of the girls. As far as I know, no one ever thought about doing something like that.

Teachers have a hard enough time getting parents to pay enough attention to their own kid's attendance/academics/behavior. This is a societal problem borne of a whole bunch of different causes - single parent situations, both parents working/busy, prescription meds, social media influences/pressures, special snowflake syndrome, etc. - so there's unfortunately no quick or easy answer. Unless of course that society is willing to sacrifice the rights of all in the name of 'just do[ing] something'...

Hey the left is trying to pin everything on ‘gun control’ basically because this whole horror show of school shootings is an indictment of Progressivism and all it stands for. Death of the extended family, disruption of the nuclear family, moral relativism, nihilism, rampant consumerism and the constant glorification of the anti-hero. All of that crap - part and parcel of Progressivism, is to blame for these kids.

Hey the left is trying to pin everything on ‘gun control’ basically because this whole horror show of school shootings is an indictment of Progressivism and all it stands for. Death of the extended family, disruption of the nuclear family, moral relativism, nihilism, rampant consumerism and the constant glorification of the anti-hero. All of that crap - part and parcel of Progressivism, is to blame for these kids.

[citation needed]

Culture warriors have been blaming their favorite political boogiemen for these shootings since Columbine. Violent video games, goth music, role playing games, progressive politics, all have been blame for corrupting our youth. More evidence that no one really knows what is going on or why these things happen.

[citation needed]

Culture warriors have been blaming their favorite political boogiemen for these shootings since Columbine. Violent video games, goth music, role playing games, progressive politics, all have been blame for corrupting our youth. More evidence that no one really knows what is going on or why these things happen.

A lot of it IS bullshit, although my gut feeling is its mostly based off the following-

1- shit parenting- children lionized as too valuable increases expectations (I'm not talking potential, just that kids don't seem to know what failure is and that it won't kill you ) and sets them up for failure, also helicopters and total absentee parents don't help.
2- MSM and social media lionization of murderous shitbirds - reinforces shitty behavior as an access portal to fame, too much time spent covering these incidents.
3- A lot of kids in the US have deteriorated social skills due to social media etc and largely avoid what I would call "constructive challenges and character building" because they're
never forced to be uncomfortable or to resolve issues regarding dealing with other people. If you compared an introvert kid 30 years ago in elementary school
to one now, 2018 introvert kid is probably 10 times worse.

4- at least WRT kids, bullying culture is now different because of social media faggotry. In the old days that stuff was marginal off campus but nowadays students tortured while offsite, and parents are too
dumb to tell the victims to stay the f*** off whatever because in reality what happens there doesn't really matter much...
4b- feckless school administrators act like they're all zero tolerance on bullying but more often than not pass the buck or pretty much do nothing.

5- completely f***ed up mental health services in US and everything downstream from that . Basically if some kid doesn't come in flailing a knife around or get sec-12ed or whatever there is zero chance of him
going into a looney bin. 30 years ago a parent would go to a doctor saying their kid was "f***ed up, somethings wrong with him/her" and SOMETHING might happen other than a jar of SSRIs being pushed in their
face.

-Mike

A lot of it IS bullshit, although my gut feeling is its mostly based off the following-

1- shit parenting- children lionized as too valuable increases expectations (I'm not talking potential, just that kids don't seem to know what failure is and that it won't kill you ) and sets them up for failure, also helicopters and total absentee parents don't help.
2- MSM and social media lionization of murderous shitbirds - reinforces shitty behavior as an access portal to fame, too much time spent covering these incidents.
3- A lot of kids in the US have deteriorated social skills due to social media etc and largely avoid what I would call "constructive challenges and character building" because they're
never forced to be uncomfortable or to resolve issues regarding dealing with other people. If you compared an introvert kid 30 years ago in elementary school

4- at least WRT kids, bullying culture is now different because of social media faggotry. In the old days that stuff was marginal off campus but nowadays students tortured while offsite, and parents are too
dumb to tell the victims to stay the f*** off whatever because in reality what happens there doesn't really matter much...
4b- feckless school administrators act like they're all zero tolerance on bullying but more often than not pass the buck or pretty much do nothing.

5- completely f***ed up mental health services in US and everything downstream from that . Basically if some kid doesn't come in flailing a knife around or get sec-12ed or whatever there is zero chance of him
going into a looney bin. 30 years ago a parent would go to a doctor saying their kid was "f***ed up, somethings wrong with him/her" and SOMETHING might happen other than a jar of SSRIs being pushed in their
face.

-Mike

This is interesting. I believe (AFAIK) there were no shootings in private and religious schools. So, numbers 2, 4 and 5 may not be directly related.

I wonder if there is difference in teachers?

Sobering numbers from 2016...

Average annual cost per high school class of 28ish students in the US is .. $300,000

I'm a big fan of being flexible.

Cancel 9th grade.

Buy every 9th grader an acre of land instead. Give them the deed, contingent on graduating high school.

See what happens.
What good is one acre of land?

Teachers are going to be pretty busy if they are chasing down every kid that shows "weird" behavior. Kids are weird at that age. The vast, vast majority of them don't shoot up schools. Investigating every socially awkward teen is a wild goose chase.

This, my wife had this one kid in her day care ,who I called the future ax murderer,

Later on I took him on my baseball team ,cause I didn’t want him to be left out,

I was afraid he might drift in the wrong direction.

Turns out he joined the marines after high school, was front line in Afghanistan, caught a bullet, came home, went through snipper school went back for 2nd tour, and evened the score.
Turned out to be a great kid.

This is it NES, he's comin to get yer gunz! Howz it feel to be BTFO'd by the guy who's single handedly gonna shred the second amendment (he'll have a soy latte in the other hand). Here's a pic of the last thing you'll ever see as he makes entry into your bunker. He's on the right, guy on left may be CIA, Im not sure.

CzBLD_mUsAAp3y7.jpg
Looks like a kilo on the floor

Snippets from a CNN article,
(they are very carefully twisting and creating their narrative with what they write)

------------------------------------------

"The gunfire tearing through Santa Fe High School didn't stop for half an hour. And during that time, Texas deputies were in a 25-minute shootout with the gunman, authorities said.

By the end of the melee, eight students and two teachers were killed. The suspect was taken into custody. And once again, the country is grappling with yet another school massacre.

The investigation reveals why some were spared

New details are emerging about what happened Friday at Santa Fe High, a school of about 1,500 students.

Texas governor to convene discussions on gun violence

Officers arrived at the school's art lab section about four minutes into the shooting and engaged the shooter right away, Galveston County Sheriff Henry Trochesset told CNN.

But it's unclear whether all the victims were shot by the suspect, or whether some were shot by deputies during the crossfire. Trochesset said authorities are waiting for the medical examiner's autopsies to make that determination.

A "decent amount of cameras in the school" will help investigators piece together a timeline, Trochesset said.

The suspect told an investigator he acted alone and spared people he liked because he wanted his story told, according to a probable cause affidavit."

--------------------------------------------

My take:
25 minute shootout with authorities, Narrative: It doesn't matter if you have a resource officer with a gun on premesis.
Unclear whether all the victims were shot by the suspect, Narrative: All guns are bad, cops guns are bad too, good people get killed by good guys with guns!!!

I double-dog guarantee you all when the reports come out (which they never do if they are pro 2A) that they will find that at least TWO kids where accidentally shot by the police.
This will destroy our "good guy with a gun" narrative that we had working.
Willing to bet money on it.
I'm calling it here, May 21st at 2:55pm.

This, my wife had this one kid in her day care ,who I called the future ax murderer,

Later on I took him on my baseball team ,cause I didn’t want him to be left out,

I was afraid he might drift in the wrong direction.

Turns out he joined the marines after high school, was front line in Afghanistan, caught a bullet, came home, went through snipper school went back for 2nd tour, and evened the score.
Turned out to be a great kid.

This is because someone (you) took him under your wing as a surrogate parent and showed him that there really are people out there that care. A scary amount of kids live in households where they've never been told by a parent that they are loved. That's just plain wrong and heartbreaking.

I cringe when I hear parents call their kids, especially when they are within earshot, monsters or demons or li'l devils. It usually turns out to be a self fulfilling prophecy.

This silent treatment should be easy for Hogg, in the case of Parkland he totally ignored the lone murderer, along with the corrupt school board, duplicitous sheriff, and inept FBI.

In fact the only people Hogg failed to ignore were lawful folks like you and I that had nothing to do with the policies of his town/school that precipitated the murders there.

Broken clocks right twice a day? Well, I wouldn't know as I'd throw a broken clock in the trash, but I imagine eventually Hogg is headed for curbside pickup as well.

:emoji_tiger:

My guess about how this would be implemented is "warning sign" number one would be if the family owns or has any access to firearms.

Exactly.

I suppose by "warning signs" I was thinking more about signs of Autism Spectrum Disorders rather than anything directly related to school shootings. It doesn't need to be "let's figure out if he'll be a school shooter" so much as "let's figure out which kids need help in life and give them that help".

Giving special help to kids with social disabilities is something schools are much more prepared for, and it would do a lot more good than just the narrow goal of preventing shootings. Think of them as a much milder version of Rain Man, to the point that they blend into society in the background, unhappy but unnoticed.

This goes way beyond the tiny percentage of them that could become school shooters, a lot of these kids have the potential to be scientists or programmers or biologists and do a lot of good in society if they're socialized right and their obsessive attention is directed properly from an early age.

Come on by my work. I’ll be happy to redact some names and show you the IEPs of my 40-odd SPED students. I counted today: I’ve got 23 ASD diagnoses out of 126 students this year.

Trust me: the schools don’t have a problem getting ASD kids into the system. My numbers increase every year. And no, I’m not a SPED teacher.

Hard to say it any better than that.

face.

-Mike

Exactly.

Come on by my work. I’ll be happy to redact some names and show you the IEPs of my 40-odd SPED students. I counted today: I’ve got 23 ASD diagnoses out of 126 students this year.

Trust me: the schools don’t have a problem getting ASD kids into the system. My numbers increase every year. And no, I’m not a SPED teacher.

Well, I didn't say this was a problem in MA, but in a place like TX or FL, my guess is their systems need some work. I think we already do a good job on that stuff here, which is probably a big part of the reason we haven't had school shooters. It's frustrating that the antis get to credit the stupid gun laws instead.

Well, I didn't say this was a problem in MA, but in a place like TX or FL, my guess is their systems need some work. I think we already do a good job on that stuff here, which is probably a big part of the reason we haven't had school shooters. It's frustrating that the antis get to credit the stupid gun laws instead.

Careful.

I’m aware that statistics argue in favor of school shootings NEVER happening. But I’m still walking around my building constantly aware of how easy it will be (not “would be”) once one of my suburban-Boston kids gets a wild hair up his ass.

I doubt that effective SPED screening has anything to do with reducing school shooters. I also doubt that metro Galveston or Ft Lauderdale schools are as backward as you seem to imagine they are.

Last edited:

I put my money on the fact the Boston/MA's biggest industry is healthcare. MGH, BWH, etc have ARMIES of Psychiatrists that see thousands of people. When your population & landmass is relatively small for the US and you are the hub of all things medical, you can probably spot problem people better, if nothing else just due to coverage.

I suppose by "warning signs" I was thinking more about signs of Autism Spectrum Disorders rather than anything directly related to school shootings. It doesn't need to be "let's figure out if he'll be a school shooter" so much as "let's figure out which kids need help in life and give them that help".

Giving special help to kids with social disabilities is something schools are much more prepared for, and it would do a lot more good than just the narrow goal of preventing shootings. Think of them as a much milder version of Rain Man, to the point that they blend into society in the background, unhappy but unnoticed.

This goes way beyond the tiny percentage of them that could become school shooters, a lot of these kids have the potential to be scientists or programmers or biologists and do a lot of good in society if they're socialized right and their obsessive attention is directed properly from an early age.

Are Aspie's the new Hebrew of the 21st century? There different so let's just blame them...

If you are over thirty-five, I guarantee you know several people on the spectrum but don't realize it so please stop talking like they are just like dogs that need proper training - How about socializing the normies so that they aren't absolutely cruel monsters to anyone they can target? Maybe that is what is pushing kids over the edge...

No, we actually do a crappy job - the kids who have social issues are relentlessly tortured by the 'normal' students. No real attention is given to the typically developing kids on how to deal compassionately with others so they just learn how to bully and torture more discretely.

They have the anti-bully pledge at my daughters school, it's all BS and by the eyes rolling in the front office during morning announcements they all know it.

You put all kids in the same school, even ones who don't belong there (Think Timmy from South Park); and you wonder why kids that are cracking are missed?

You tax people to death so both parents work (sometimes more than one job) and when they get home, they are lucky to get dinner on the table while doing laundry, dishes and cleaning the house; and you wonder why kids that are cracking are missed?

You teach kids that their parents have no rights and the state will 'save them' from discipline (also called consequences); and you wonder why kids that are cracking are missed?

You have a govt that has been running on two years of 'the end justifies the means'; and you wonder where kids get these ideas?

You have a media that pronounces cops, killers; killers, victims and and you wonder where kids get these ideas?

Sorry if that is off, I just OD'd on Mucinex Night Time and am feeling woozy. Not dangerous OD before I get an ERPO, just using the swig dosage instead of the measured as I couldn't find the cup. I'm guessing two swigs is not two tablespoons.

No, we actually do a crappy job - the kids who have social issues are relentlessly tortured by the 'normal' students. No real attention is given to the typically developing kids on how to deal compassionately with others so they just learn how to bully and torture more discretely.

I’m not sure it’s quite as bad as that, necessarily. School culture plays a HUGE role here, and good administrators can make a big difference in how ASD kids are treated. My school and my daughter’s school have good programs in place: there’s still bullying, but not generally on the basis of an ASD diagnosis.

Which is perhaps one reason why diagnosis rates are climbing. Parents of those children gravitate toward healthier environments for their kids, and who can blame them?

Two schools is not a representative sample. But good leadership does happen. It just seldom makes the news.

They have the anti-bully pledge at my daughters school, it's all BS and by the eyes rolling in the front office during morning announcements they all know it.

You put all kids in the same school, even ones who don't belong there (Think Timmy from South Park); and you wonder why kids that are cracking are missed?

You tax people to death so both parents work (sometimes more than one job) and when they get home, they are lucky to get dinner on the table while doing laundry, dishes and cleaning the house; and you wonder why kids that are cracking are missed?

You teach kids that their parents have no rights and the state will 'save them' from discipline (also called consequences); and you wonder why kids that are cracking are missed?

You have a govt that has been running on two years of 'the end justifies the means'; and you wonder where kids get these ideas?

You have a media that pronounces cops, killers; killers, victims and and you wonder where kids get these ideas?

Sorry if that is off, I just OD'd on Mucinex Night Time and am feeling woozy. Not dangerous OD before I get an ERPO, just using the swig dosage instead of the measured as I couldn't find the cup. I'm guessing two swigs is not two tablespoons.

This. All of this.

The idea that bullying is the cause of shootings is silly. The idea that there are laws that will stop bullying without having a deleterious effect on the ability of kids to be kids is even more ridiculous. Bullying has been a part of growing up, forever. School shootings are just a few decades old. To be clear, I'm not saying bullying is a-ok, but whatever the cause and effect is for shootings, it's not that.

Maybe treating kids like snowflakes that shouldn't face any consequences for their actions (like the state did with Cruz) isn't the best idea. Granted, Cruz was one of the more obviously disturbed and evil ones, and almost certainly couldn't have been saved. But some kids do need forceful course-corrections and interventions. I know I did.

Are Aspie's the new Hebrew of the 21st century? There different so let's just blame them...

If you are over thirty-five, I guarantee you know several people on the spectrum but don't realize it so please stop talking like they are just like dogs that need proper training - How about socializing the normies so that they aren't absolutely cruel monsters to anyone they can target? Maybe that is what is pushing kids over the edge...

Let's not get all P.C. about this. I'm under thirty, I know people on the spectrum. It's precisely because I do value them that I believe in how well they can do with the right support. I don't think it's blaming them as a group to say they might be disproportionately at risk for going down the wrong path.

Statistics say something like 1 in 60 kids have some form of A.S.D. I think we're all smart enough to understand that there's lower than a .0001% chance for any given kid with ASD to be a shooter.

Here's something that's a showstopper. It's instantly recognizable, irrefutable proof that AR-15's are not some mythical super-powerful weapon, and it destroys the "you don't need it, just buy a hunting rifle!" argument:

t0QCgKD.jpg

At which point the anti has an epiphany and will argue, "See, if the AR round does this much damage, imagine how much MORE damage the bigger ones do.. therefore we need to BAN THEM ALL"..

IMHO, this only gives them more ammo for their argument.. The error is in using facts and logic against an adversary having no concept or concern with either.

Like him or not, Ben Shapiro presents some solid ideas in arguing with leftist..

Good practice, which which will give similar results, is find a brick wall and lay out your case logically.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom