• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Active shooter in TX

Is he going to slap them out of our hands?
He exudes pure estrogen. You'll immediately become disorientated, drop your icky guns and run in the other room to crochet one of those pink pussy hats while also applying a tasteful amount of lip gloss.

I'm still in a Facebook thread with that friend from my days in the USAF. They just can't get past 'need' and 'designed to kill', they have shifted to all semi's should be banned as well apparently.

Are these types ok with cops having full auto M4s? Cops need that for what, recon by fire?

You didn't read far enough. He basically said "just kidding, now that I have your attention, please compromise".

Gun owners now are subject to the very threat that 2 A was written, that was promised that no one wanted to do. Gun owners actually need their guns now more than ever before.

I never felt the need to own an AR-15 until the last few years when I realized where our government was headed. Now I feel it’s my civic duty to own one and learn to use it (took 2 Sig rifle classes for that reason).

And I’m out of the thread - one thing I don’t do is resort to name calling - it took three of my posts for them to resort to name calling and I’m out - then they doubled down.

I can’t imagine why real progress can’t be made on real solutions when if you don’t agree you get name called and insulted.

I can't imagine her pain, but damn that was a quick mourning period to get all political...
“Folks — call your damn senators. Call your congressmen,” Vaughn’s mother, Rhonda Hart, wrote on Facebook. “We need GUN CONTROL. WE NEED TO PROTECT OUR KIDS."

The shooter had a shotgun and a revolver. Not so much 'assault weapon' stuff.

Varmint said:
I bet you thousands of free state dads out there are locking up their guns right now, if they have kids in the house. People learn, we don't need a new government law to learn something.
We dont lock up guns. We pay attention to our kids. We talk to them and raise them. We talk to their teachers and their friends. We make sure they're not depressed or feeling like leper outcasts. Nothing about this situation has anything to do with guns being accessible.
New Hampshire has a great "Safe Storage" law, RSA 650-C:1

He clearly would have just made more bombs and used them if he couldn't get a firearm.
Just like Columbine, the availability of firearms likely induced the shooter to put considerably less effort into the explosive devices, quite possibly saving lives.

CNN said:
Galveston County Judge Mark Henry told reporters Pagourtzis attempted to use explosive devices but none were functional.
"There were CO2 (carbon dioxide) canisters wrapped up with duct tape, but no way to detonate, and a pressure cooker with an alarm clock, and some nails but no explosive device, so you've got to treat them like they are potentially lethal and go from there," Henry said.

...a pressure cooker was found.
Shelter in place!

And I’m out of the thread - one thing I don’t do is resort to name calling - it took three of my posts for them to resort to name calling and I’m out - then they doubled down.

I can’t imagine why real progress can’t be made on real solutions when if you don’t agree you get name called and insulted.

Here's something that's a showstopper. It's instantly recognizable, irrefutable proof that AR-15's are not some mythical super-powerful weapon, and it destroys the "you don't need it, just buy a hunting rifle!" argument:

t0QCgKD.jpg

Liberals can’t think past their emotions or their noses. Once you force them to do that, you get the name calling and sometimes rasis accusations

And I’m out of the thread - one thing I don’t do is resort to name calling - it took three of my posts for them to resort to name calling and I’m out - then they doubled down. I can’t imagine why real progress can’t be made on real solutions when if you don’t agree you get name called and insulted.

That's the "discussion on common-sense gun control" that the Left is asking for - you sit there and endure insults ("blood on your hands", "terrorist", "child killer", etc.)

I'm convinced some type of compromise can be had, but that is not, and has never been what the left wants. They want to ban all guns, we say no, so the solution is just to ban some guns? That isn't compromise.

There's no 'compromise' with people acting in bad faith. Restoring freedoms they've already taken in exchange for giving up new freedoms isn't 'compromise' it's trading one infringement for another.

They'll stop punching us in the face in exchange for punching us in the balls instead? Oh yeah, that's a real 'compromise'.

Here's something that's a showstopper. It's instantly recognizable, irrefutable proof that AR-15's are not some mythical super-powerful weapon, and it destroys the "you don't need it, just buy a hunting rifle!" argument:

t0QCgKD.jpg
Yep, man is basically small (weak) game. FUDDs who think their implements aren't on the list need to wake up.

The Killer's father was on a Greek Station, The Video in the link is all in Greek but the article with translation is in English:
Father of Greek American Texas Shooter Speaks Out: "I Wish He Had Killed Me Instead" (Video) | USA.GreekReporter.com
I heard his interview. I feel he wasn’t on top of what was happening with his kid. I don’t think the kid could deal with rejection for whatever reason. I don’t think as a parent he noticed changes in his kids behavior. He portrays his child as normal but his kid went out and killed 10 people.

I heard his interview. I feel he wasn’t on top of what was happening with his kid. I don’t think the kid could deal with rejection for whatever reason. I don’t think as a parent he noticed changes in his kids behavior. He portrays his child as normal but his kid went out and killed 10 people.
This is a really good (but really long) article that looks at a kid that was planning a school shooting. It explains how the type of kid who used to obsess over chemistry sets is now obsessing over school shootings. A lot of these kids have Autism Spectrum Disorders (used to be called Aspergers). The Texas kid seems like this.

If the media focused their energy on stuff like this instead of blaming guns, because maybe they could start training teachers and school staff to recognize the warning signs.

How School Shootings Spread

Much of what is so disturbing about LaDue’s exchanges with Schroeder, in fact, is simply his version of the quintessential A.S.D. symptom of “restricted range of interests.” He’s obsessive. He insists on applying logic and analysis to things that most of us know we aren’t supposed to be logical and analytical about. What should he wear? The standard uniform for school shooters is a duster. But it didn’t make sense to wear a duster to school, LaDue explained, “because that’s a bit suspicious.” He’d store it in his locker. Where should the bombs go? Harris and Klebold had chosen the cafeteria. But LaDue felt that was too obvious—and, logistically, placing them in the hallway by the water fountains made more sense. When should he attack? April made the best sense, “because that’s the month that all the really bad tragedies happened like . . . Titanic, Columbine, Oklahoma City bombing, Boston bombing.” And what went wrong at Columbine, anyway? It was supposed to be a bomb attack. So why didn’t the devices planted by Harris and Klebold explode? “They were trying to create a circuit which would ignite some gasoline to hit the propane and cause a bleve—which is a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion . . . which is basically the same thing as say a pipe bomb except with, like, gases,” LaDue patiently explained to Schroeder, before launching into a long technical digression on the relative merits of hydrazine, ammonium perchlorate, Cheddite, nitroglycerin, and flash powder. He was even more scathing about the Boston bombers’ use of pressure-cooker bombs. He thought they made a “crappy design of it.” They used nails and black powder from fireworks. It would have made far more sense to use flash powder and ball bearings, LaDue thought, because “spherical shrapnel” are “superior to nails in damage.” LaDue tells Schroeder that he has two YouTube channels devoted to his work. But anyone who watches the assembled videos expecting to see something macabre will be disappointed. They are home movies of LaDue testing whether tiny fuses will ignite when placed inside a plastic water bottle, or whether he can successfully blow a quarter-size hole in the side of a plastic playground slide. In the world before Columbine, people like LaDue played with chemistry sets in their basements and dreamed of being astronauts.

The media aren’t responsible for training teachers and staff. School administrators are. In my experience, they do their best, but the problems are lack of a security/SA mindset among school employees (most of whom, in fairness, never signed up to be soldiers), and lack of any sort of consistent profile of what makes up a school shooter.

The first problem is SLOOOOWLY getting solved: younger teachers can no longer plead ignorance about what they know they might be signing up for. The second? Let me know when you’ve got some universally agreed “warning signs” I can look for, so that I don’t have to go around violating the privacy of every student in the country.

If people really want to have guns confiscated in America to "protect the children" then the teams of gun confiscators should be appropriately called the Gunstapo.

The media aren’t responsible for training teachers and staff. School administrators are. In my experience, they do their best, but the problems are lack of a security/SA mindset among school employees (most of whom, in fairness, never signed up to be soldiers), and lack of any sort of consistent profile of what makes up a school shooter.

The first problem is SLOOOOWLY getting solved: younger teachers can no longer plead ignorance about what they know they might be signing up for. The second? Let me know when you’ve got some universally agreed “warning signs” I can look for, so that I don’t have to go around violating the privacy of every student in the country.
My guess about how this would be implemented is "warning sign" number one would be if the family owns or has any access to firearms.

I suppose by "warning signs" I was thinking more about signs of Autism Spectrum Disorders rather than anything directly related to school shootings. It doesn't need to be "let's figure out if he'll be a school shooter" so much as "let's figure out which kids need help in life and give them that help".

Giving special help to kids with social disabilities is something schools are much more prepared for, and it would do a lot more good than just the narrow goal of preventing shootings. Think of them as a much milder version of Rain Man, to the point that they blend into society in the background, unhappy but unnoticed.

This goes way beyond the tiny percentage of them that could become school shooters, a lot of these kids have the potential to be scientists or programmers or biologists and do a lot of good in society if they're socialized right and their obsessive attention is directed properly from an early age.

This is a really good (but really long) article that looks at a kid that was planning a school shooting. It explains how the type of kid who used to obsess over chemistry sets is now obsessing over school shootings. A lot of these kids have Autism Spectrum Disorders (used to be called Aspergers). The Texas kid seems like this.

If the media focused their energy on stuff like this instead of blaming guns, because maybe they could start training teachers and school staff to recognize the warning signs.

How School Shootings Spread
The gun banners don't care about saving lives. They care about banning guns. No compromise or appeasement will ever stop them from their ultimate goal of completely subverting 2A and banning all guns.

After that they will go for knives, then screwdrivers and tea spoons. The UK has all this roadmapped out. And the result is ever-increasing homicides and violent crime, as London and the UK in general have experienced. Perfect opportunity for the pols to step in again and pretend to care.

I generally agree with you, but it’s not even that simple. I’ve been teaching HS long enough to understand that a WHOLE lot of kids simply enjoy dressing in black trench coats, then somehow magically avoid shooting up the building. People can generally be trusted to choose their own clothes without the schools’ interference, I’d say.

Teachers are going to be pretty busy if they are chasing down every kid that shows "weird" behavior. Kids are weird at that age. The vast, vast majority of them don't shoot up schools. Investigating every socially awkward teen is a wild goose chase.

Back
Top Bottom