• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Active service LTC question

My buddy was born and raised in MA. He went to the navy, was stationed in San diego most recently and has a drivers license in CA
He's now stationed here after re upping as a recruiter and will be living in the Boston Area.

Does he Need a MA drivers License before he can apply for his LTC?

Depends on the town he lives in. Some will refuse him others won't. It's totally at the descretion of his chief.

Hypothetically, he should be able to get a resident permit from the town he is living in. His Military ID and proof of address (like utility bill, rental agreement, etc) I would think should be acceptable, but his results may vary. It seems to blow cops minds when AD personnel have a different state drivers license then the tags/registration of their car, or a different states address on their drivers license, and whatnot. So if he is told he cannot apply for a resident LTC, they would be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised.

So currently he's in florida until the end of the month for training and then back here. He'll be in Somerville at first. I know the Licensing officer so I'll just walk my buddy in and explain the situation. Somerville lately has been greener from what my friends have been telling me (6 for 6 in the last year for no restrictions)

So here's hoping.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Chiefs can be sticklers for your home address, current driver license address, and the address of the LTC application to be congruent.

If it comes to it, transferring an out of state DL is no big deal.

Chiefs can be sticklers for your home address, current driver license address, and the address of the LTC application to be congruent.

If it comes to it, transferring an out of state DL is no big deal.

I don't think I'll have a problem with Somerville

Remember that military service notwithstanding, an approved course is required, too.

I'm certified via the NRA so he's taking my class when he gets back into town

Don't forget to thank him for his service and invite him to an NES event.

Oh he's been thanked and given many a bottle of whiskey. It was funny taking him to the range and he couldn't even figure out how to load the AR

Back
Top Bottom