• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Across the chest holster?

Call me a mall ninja if you want, but IMHO a thigh rig works pretty well when carrying a pack.

Hiking with a drop leg would suck IMO. Even if you kept the leg strap loose it would still ride up dragging your pant leg with it. I have been thinking about this with an elk trip to Montana at the end of the month. Too many wolves around for a 3 shot bolt gun. I'm sure I'll never need a handgun but who knows. I settled on a Galco DAO belt holster, we'll see how I rig it. My hunting coats are long so I may put it on my backpack waist belt. My 2 cents.

+1. If you walked around with a drop leg for any length of time, it becomes a highly annoying nuisance. I would recommend a belt holster with a drop/offset, so you could put the waist belt over it. Alternatively, you can attach a holster directly to the waist belt.
Hiking with a drop leg would suck IMO. Even if you kept the leg strap loose it would still ride up dragging your pant leg with it. I have been thinking about this with an elk trip to Montana at the end of the month. Too many wolves around for a 3 shot bolt gun. I'm sure I'll never need a handgun but who knows. I settled on a Galco DAO belt holster, we'll see how I rig it. My hunting coats are long so I may put it on my backpack waist belt. My 2 cents.

+1 I hear ya. I just read an article about this: http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003486.html

I'm leaning toward a chest holster. Just haven't found one yet.

Somewhere I have a chest holster that fits typical duty guns.

It works well enough but I never use the thing....

On a range its also a problem as when re-holstering you might potentially muzzle sweep your arm or someone standing to your left or right. The one I have though, you can orient it so the muzzle points down, but that makes the draw inconvenient.

I'd just assume use a belt holster or some other arrangement. Last time I went hiking I had one of those zipper pouch things on my backpack belt. Looks like some kind of camera/stuff pouch, but a large gun fits inside easily.

-Mike

Last edited:

+1. If you walked around with a drop leg for any length of time, it becomes a highly annoying nuisance. I would recommend a belt holster with a drop/offset, so you could put the waist belt over it. Alternatively, you can attach a holster directly to the waist belt.

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Tactical-Holsters,119.htm

i'm not sure what holsters you guys wear or worn for extended periods of time.

the blackhawk tac-holsters and similar varians are way more comfortable that older ones that had thin, non elastic straps and metal buckles that dug into your leg.

these newer ones attached to a web belt or chest rig and balance the weight of the gun over the whole body.

also, the straps are a lot thicker and partially elastic to allow a snug fit, not tight to where it cuts of circulation....

[smile][grin][wink]

I use a maxpedition thermite versipack. It holds my Glock 29, some pepper spray, a few med items (quick clot etc), spare mag and back up headlamp. MUCH more comfortable that a traditional dropleg holster. I've got it in tan and it does not scream gun. I've actually gotten compliments from other "tree-huggers" asking where they can get a "camera bag" like mine!

Back
Top Bottom