• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Acquiring Some new hardware

So I have someone who is going to give me a couple older handguns they have and no longer want but I have some questions. The first is a .38 revolver and the second is a chrome .22 semi auto. I have not seen them yet so I don't know the brand, model information but the price is right. I don't have a whole lot of experience with this sort of things so I have some questions (I think the first two I have answers for but a second or third opinion never hurts.

1) The guns were purchased Legally about 25 years ago. Since then the owner has let their LTC lapse. From the research I have done I believe they can be legally transferred through an dealer as long as they are transported by a licensed person. Going to call a few shops and verify if they would make the transfer.

2) The guns are locked in a lockbox style safe and the key is nowhere to be found. I'm pretty sure I can crack the box open without to much issue, but I have one concern in doing so. In the box is also some reload ammo that is also about 25 years old. Makes me a little nervous since they are so old, they are not manufactured ammo and they are hot load hollows. Are my concerns in trying to crack open the box valid? I don't think I would dare try to use the ammo so that is not a concern. I know there is a thread on here already about proper disposal so I will find that thread for disposal.

3) These pistols have not fired in 25 years and most likely were not cleaned or oiled for the majority of that time. Basically they were bought used and the current owner never fired them. What should I look for before bringing them out for a test run? I am thinking I will bring them somewhere to be gone through and cleaned up but not sure where to take them either.

Regardless I am pretty excited because they come with a couple different holsters, speed loaders, etc and the price is definitely right even if I have to pay to have them cleaned up a bit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you seen the guns?

and after 25 years of non use they probably aint gonna look good and maybe wont function ( if they were stored someplace damp ie rust)

as for the ammo i would just break it down for components like bullet, case, and primer (maybe). Before i gave any money look at the guns first, you say the price is right but that is sight unseen.

also as for the lock box take a crowbar to it, it really shouldnt be that hard to open. hell not even a crobar a flat head screw driver will work

I have not seen them but they are being given to me for nothing. I will just have to pay the transfer fee. Since I'm the one that will be cracking open the box I will see them prior to taking possession but I figure for the cost of transfer fee I can't go wrong. From what I have been told they have not been stored in a basement/attick so temperature variations and humidity should not have been an issue.

I don't think open the box will be any issue, just wondering if more care should be given due to the ammo inside being so old.

Thanks for the advice on the ammo. I don't plan on doing any reloading so maybe I will give the ammo away to someone who can make use of the components. I guess there is about 100 rounds or each .38 and .2

Thanks,
Randy

I wouldnt worry about the ammo all that much crack the sucker open and be done with it. The .22 is probably still good cause who the hell reloads .22? And if you are just paying transfer fees just say yes please [smile]

post pictures so we can atleast see them when you get'em

At worst the ammo won't function, at best it will. If it is reloads I would break down the components for reuse (I only shoot my own reloads). I wouldn't sweat having something happen when you crack the case (unless you go all postal on it).

thank you all. That is what I figured but :

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever."

Back
Top Bottom