Acquiring an entry level 12 gauge for trap shooting at an under $1000 price point

I am slowly being seduced into the idea of joining the trap shooters at my club and need some advice on acquiring an appropriate 12 gauge. My shotgun experience is extremely limited to my Mossberg 590A1 pump for home defense when the zombies finally come and my girlfriend's old Remington 1100 semi auto set up for skeet with a barrel that offers no options for chokes.

I've been doing some online research and asking around and a few things keep coming up. The CZ Redhead and CZ Upland come in at about $950ish. I am also a big fan of CZ and have 3 of their handguns. The other gun that keeps coming up more than any other, and at half the price, is the Tristar Setter S/T. The Tristar is Turkish, apparently well received, and lacks bragging rights. One thought is that I could buy the Tristar and enjoy it's functionality and still have $400 to spend on ammo which might put me in a better place than buying the Upland or Redhead alone. Then again I may not want to upgrade from a CZ as fast as I might the Tristar.

Advice on any of the 3 please...

Any gun that fits you well! Screw in chokes are nice but a fixed full will work fine. Any Remington 870 1100 Mossberg 500 will be fine to get in to the trap game. Shoot for a while make some friends on trap field they will let you try their guns then decide.
I shot trap for years with a old Jc Higgins pump then upgraded to an 870 now I have a Winchester o/u for trap I like it but it didn’t really make me shoot any better.
Key is find a gun that fits !

I am slowly being seduced into the idea of joining the trap shooters at my club and need some advice on acquiring an appropriate 12 gauge. My shotgun experience is extremely limited to my Mossberg 590A1 pump for home defense when the zombies finally come and my girlfriend's old Remington 1100 semi auto set up for skeet with a barrel that offers no options for chokes.

I've been doing some online research and asking around and a few things keep coming up. The CZ Redhead and CZ Upland come in at about $950ish. I am also a big fan of CZ and have 3 of their handguns. The other gun that keeps coming up more than any other, and at half the price, is the Tristar Setter S/T. The Tristar is Turkish, apparently well received, and lacks bragging rights. One thought is that I could buy the Tristar and enjoy it's functionality and still have $400 to spend on ammo which might put me in a better place than buying the Upland or Redhead alone. Then again I may not want to upgrade from a CZ as fast as I might the Tristar.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, when I was entertaining the idea of purchasing a shotgun, the impression I got was CZ shotguns were hit or miss, AFAIK they are manufactured by Huglu out of Turkey

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, when I was entertaining the idea of purchasing a shotgun, the impression I got was CZ shotguns were hit or miss, AFAIK they are manufactured by Huglu out of Turkey

I’ve never really hear anything bad about them at all. They’re highly regarded as functional guns with all the the features you need.
I have a CZ bobwhite in 20 that I really love. I did a ton of reading about them prior to the purchase and guys on Upland forums that had $14k shotguns carried their CZs in treacherous terrain because they were great little smooth handling guns that at the the time cost $650 and wouldn’t make you cry it you fell and ran it into some gravel.
Mine has seen probably 7 or so years of upland hunting and a few rounds of trap.
The “black chrome” barrels looks good and are low maintenance. The “case hardened” frame is beautiful. It comes with screw in chokes and some very nice wood. The fit and finish it great.
Also the recoil pad is such a great design that I wish more companies used.
The heel is crowned in a radiused hard plastic that glides over your shirt/jacket to help with a smooth mount. It never snags and doubt it ever could even with a baggy shirt or poor technique. Of course the rest of the recoil pad being a proper soft rubber.
I remember reading this was to be expected from all of their guns. Though the O/Us I believe had an issue with the triggers not being very good or something silly.
Huglu used to make the DeHaan line of shotguns and they were basically the same but with some nice upgrades in wood and finish.

If you want to shoot trap, buy a trap gun and be done... you can purchase one of the oldest and most popular trap guns for 1000 dollars and down. A BT 99 Browning is probably the best gun you'll find for the money. If you want to get serious. Buy a serious gun. I happen to have a 99 I'm selling. You wont see many of the guns you mentioned on the trap field... but I guarantee you'll see Bt 99s...

My first gun club had skeet and trap and as a new shooter, I bought a used Rem 1100 Skeet gun. I later bought the 1100 Trap barrel for it and shot both with that gun every weekend for years and years.

You can probably pick up a trap bbl for that Rem 1100, it'll make a great starter setup for cheap money.

Having gone through several guns recently, I would recommend trying as many guns as you can and see what kind of shotgun and how your style of shooting works with it and look for that type and then find one that fits the budget.

If you don't care too much and just want to go feet first for the least amount of money, Mossberg 500 w/ 28" Ported Barrel will do you well.

I started on a Tri-Star O/U with the Ejectors and moved up to the TT-15 and then onto the A400 Multi-Target. Feel free to PM me if you want to do a deeper dive into my experience so far.

...I bought a used Rem 1100...
pretty much same here. went thru several guns when i started and then shot my 1100 for years. i left it behind when i got serious with doubles and started to shoot registered. i went into a combo set then.

all the guns mentioned are probably fine but the credo of the competitive shotgun target shooter has been "if it don't fit you ain't gonna hit." with regularity. [wink]

Go to your Club, and talk to the Trapezoids. Tell them that you're looking for a new gun. Most likely, you'll get multiple offers of "try mine!"

It's not just about the physical fit, it also has to fit you mentally.

I shot my kid's Browning for 1 round - 24/25 (missed the last one! [laugh]). I hate the thing. I just don't like the feel of it, so even though I can shoot it, it would never make me happy. This is why shooting them before you commit is a good idea. All the opinions of others, interwebz sources, and reviews won't tell you that something is "right."

Since you're new to the game, just get a 12 that feels right, and has adjustable chokes. You may want to try Skeet, or Sporting Clays, and this will give you options. After a while, you may find that you want/need a specialized gun. Or not.
At my home Club, I generally use a S&W 1000, that works, and fits most new shooters well enough. At ATA, I generally use an old A5. If nothing else, I can find it in the rack [rofl]

This season I thought about a BT-99 (mostly because my kid was busting my b@lls), but the curve of the pistol grip is too tight for my tastes. Like I said, your tastes may change.

Don't buy an over/under unless it starts with a B. Beware cheap O/U's and they break and you can't get parts. I'm partial to the BT-99 myself and they fit your price range. Look for one with adjustable chokes.

It's all about fit, at least shoulder them if you can't shoot them; don't commit to anything you can't hold unless you don't mind that you might be moving it along a week later. Kittery Trading Post usually has a ton of shotguns on the racks if you've ever down that way.

I'd go with the new barrel for the Mossberg or Remington if you otherwise like shooting them. (Depending on the mag tube on the 590 there may be some long barrel options for it.) If you want to buy a new gun anyway, for non-B-branded shotguns I also like Lanber.

I have a fancy o/u but I might still shoot my 500 better.

with the 3 you mentioned parts and repair will be the biggest issue.
Depending how close you are with the G F that Rem 1100 can easily be converted into a "trap" gun.
simple barrel swap and even a stock.

The BT99 as mentioned is a great way to start . KTP has one for $950. Bring any guns you have you dont like and trade them towards the BT99.

You can find 1100 trap guns for under $1000 if you look.

i would take the time to understand what makes a Trap Gun a Trap gun.

also understand that the "mid bead" is a gun fit indicator. If your moving and crunching and adjusting trying to line up the bead it does not fit.
also remember in trap and shotguns in general . Learn the correct way to mount the shotgun. You bring the shotgun to your head not your head down to the gun.

To check a shotgun that has a mid bead
Take a proper stance
Look at a distant object.
Now bring the shotgun up to your cheek and just before you get there close your eyes settle the shotgun back into your shoulder.
Now open your eyes and check your bead alignment
If you see the beads are aligned like a snow man your shotgun fits pretty good or at least lined up to your eye < which Is your rear sight

Keep it simple
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1Tx-Ap9iO1RCYWxuVhUJwC

Now what is a "trap gun" generally
30" or longer barrels , helps keep your movement smooth
Generally a bit heavier than other shotguns. This helps reduce recoil and keeps your moves to and through the target smooth.
Parallel comb. The comb. Where you plant you cheak is parallel with the barrels. This helps keep your eye at the same height
"Trap" guns are designed to shoot high or built in lead. In trap your target is always going away from you and rising as your trying to crush it.

Also last thing you could probably find a used 30" mossberg 5 00 barrel cheap . Lots of take offs for HD conversions out there.
Lop is a comfort measurement
Another aspect is the Pitch and cast of stock but if you get more into it there are easy fixes for that

The good thing about buying a B trap gun is you can sell it for what you paid. i have seen many guns on the trap line exchange hands for the same money over the years.
One 1100 was called old sixfifty. That gun sold 5 times in 3 years befor e the gent who bought it last stuck a nice stock with adjustable comb and a high rib 32" barrel on it.

Last edited:
I came in to recommend the 1100 or the 870 Wingmaster. I learned how to shoot skeet on an 1100 (12ga) and picked up an 870 Wingmaster (20ga) from a retiring cop. And while they see little use, if any now, they are fantastic guns. Don't get too hung up on chokes. Improved Cylinder will do fine for trap and skeet. For trap, barrel length is important and I would get at least a 30" barrel. There are deals out there but you just have to be patient. Check out Four Seasons used gun page. They had some decent pricing the last time I checked it (3-4 weeks ago).

I happen to have a beautiful1100 Skeet 12g that I’m considering listing FS. PM me if interested.

Lots of people already said it, but try out a bunch of different ones and buy the type that fits you.

1100 barrels are fairly easy to find. If the 1100 fits you right, look into finding a trap barrel for it.

You don't need to have the fanciest toy out there to shoot trap. The 1100 and 870 have broken their own fair share of birds.

Lots of people already said it, but try out a bunch of different ones and buy the type that fits you.

1100 barrels are fairly easy to find. If the 1100 fits you right, look into finding a trap barrel for it.

You don't need to have the fanciest toy out there to shoot trap. The 1100 and 870 have broken their own fair share of birds.

I've shot trap with an 870 and with an old Sears single shot. The Sears has like a five foot barrel. It was awesome.

Sorry for the bulk, but this is the list from M&B Sports (near Foxwoods):

Shotguns: Pump – Slide Action "Some" Combo's

186-06 Winchester SXP 12ga 28*vent rib Win Chokes Camo NIB $525.

188-06 Savage/Stevens 620 NSN 16ga Slide action 28” $250.

188-10 Savage/Springfield 39A NSN .410 2-3/4” & 3” 24”bbl Bolt Action Tubular Feed $275.

Winchester Ranger Model 120 16ga 28” u63610 $150.

Single Barrel Single Shotguns: Great starter for TRAP shooters
127-04 mb Kresske Model 151, 12ga, 28" Full Choke, s/n 721778 $90.

153-25 gf Harrington/Richardson 12ga 30” 421577 Nice Starter Trap Gun $50.

Savage Arms/Stevens Model 9478 20ga C907433 2-3/4/and 3in 28” $220.
level break open auto eject

Springfield Arms Model 1829 20Ga single shot open choke $125.

SHOTGUNS: Double Barrel Side X Side

188-08 Belgium Box Lock Double Trigger 12ga 26” 7415 $575. English Straight Stock Pre WWII 1928- 1934

L.C. Smith mfg’d by Hunter Arms Company Field Grade,16ga 28” Armor Steel bbls, case hardened receiver 90% , 16 ga at higher premium. $2,500.

JOSEPH LANG & SONS Special Custom Built 20 ga. SxS, Cylinder / Improved Cylinder, SN# 14683 Negotiable $22,000.

Parker Bros. 12Ga 28”Damascus bbls, s/n 112093 patent 03-26-1878 $575.

Over Unders

FN Belgium Browning Superposed Grade1 Standard Weight Mod / Full 12ga 30” 3374C $995.

Savage 330 20ga 28” bbls 3” chambers, IMP & CYL ,SST, Extractors 95% $675.

Browning Citori Grade 1,12ga 3” chamber 28” vent rib bbls, s/n 16228H47 $975.

Blaser F3 Sporting Baron Right Hand, Grade 7, 12ga 3” chambers two vent rib barrel set 32” & 30” with two sets choke tubes.
w/ 6 Briley Choke s and 5 other chokes and Blazer hard carry case. and 1 20ga 30” Sporting barrel set . 20Ga, 30” with chokes Changing gauges has never been easier with the Blaser F3 Sporting. Has (6) extra ported choke tubes and (2) snap caps. This system has been minimally used. Rated at 100% Total: $14,000

Did you ever end up getting anything?

I liked the my Beretta 692 X-Trap O/U a lot but wanted to make it a combo and ended up getting another Beretta 692 X-Trap Unsingle to make it the "Poor Man's" Beretta DT-11 Combo. I'm even rocking the DT-11 case now... lol Instead of having a drop out trigger, I have another complete receiver incase something goes sideways during competition.

Back
Top Bottom