• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Acorns

Tweed

NES Member
The last 2 years there were bumper crops of acorns. Last year I found it difficult to find deer since they did not have to go far to search for food.

This year is starting to look like 2008 when there were very few acorns. The deer were eating the leaves off my bushes. The oaks in my area (Groton MA) have very few acorns. What does it look like in your area?

Your right its going to be a good year for deer. I haven’t heard a single acorn drop. Sometimes while I'm deer hunting in a stand, I fill my pocket with small rocks and drop them off my stand to imitate falling acorns. I'm not sure I'll do that this year. Might be good, or might scare them away.

Very few this year in Essex County. When Hurricane Irene blew through I noticed some early ones were knocked down.

I liked Ham's idea of dropping acorn sounds, and might work better under these sparse conditions.

Acorns galore out here in Western Mass. While out running if I'm not twisting my ankle with them being all over the roadside they're bombing me from the trees.

That's odd. I live in the hills as well and the house is surrounded by huge oaks. Last two years I was raking bushels of acorns most every day. This year very few. (I am not complaining![smile])

There must have been enough acorns, at least at one point... ... otherwise there wouldn't be like 9 million squirrel carcasses all over rte 2 right now. I've never seen so many squirrels.

-Mike

There must have been enough acorns, at least at one point... ... otherwise there wouldn't be like 9 million squirrel carcasses all over rte 2 right now. I've never seen so many squirrels.

-Mike

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed. It came to a point where I counted 25 dead squirrels withing a 5 mile spread on 24 southbound between rte 44 and 140

-Mike

This is a direct result of a high acorn season the last two years, and a really bad one this year. More acorns more babies. Grey squirrel babies ween ten weeks after being born around late June early July. No acorns for them, which forces them to travel and get hit by cars.

Back
Top Bottom