• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ACOG - Help me choose what I want/need

I am about 90% certain that I am going to put an ACOG on my new POF P415 (16" BBL with Pinned Brake) when it arrives. I am looking at Trijicon ACOG sights, and I am getting confused with all the different options.

I like the idea of the BDC, which several have, but what about the reticle itself? The chevron, horseshoe, crosshair, silhouette outline... what are the advantages and drawbacks of each?

Also, out of all the vendors out there, which is known for best pricing?

If you have recommendations for something other than ACOG, what is it, and why?

There are a lot of sights comparable to the ACOG on the market for a LOT less money. I would do a little more research on these sights before I spent all that $$$ on the trijicon.

I used an ACOG in Astan with just the BDC (TA01), didn't like the chevron style. It took a ridonculous beating, and never lost its dope, or broke. I believe it's the cheapest of the Trijicon ACOGs. If money is no object, get an ELCAN.

edit. There are a lot cheaper optics out there for sure, but the quality goes downhill quickly. You get what you pay for.

I've tried out an Aimpoint, Eotech and a Trijicon on my M4 clone. While the Aimpoint and Eotech were great sites, they didn't come close to the clarity and ease of use of Trijicon. I ended up buying a TA11F that came with a red chevron. I do like the chevron and it has a BDC out to 800 yards specifically calibrated for 223. I have no doubt I made the right choice choosing this optic.

A lot of it is personal preference, I went with the green horseshoe...

null_zps1aadc9a8.jpg

I ended up getting a 4x32 battery acog - this has crosshairs with bdc for 223 (I have an ar) with adjustable led. Amazing! I also got a fantastic deal for it online at opticsplanet responding to their online chat invite.

such as...?

Leupold CQB/T 1x to 3x, Millet Designated Marksman's Scope 1x4, IOR Valdada 1x4 Pitbull, and a few others who escape me at this time. The ACOG is a great scope but I am not a fan of the fixed magnification; sometime you do a lot better with 1x. If you are going into battle the ACOG's reliability is as good as it gets, but most people purchasing optics for their AR simply don't need a sight this expensive.

Leupold CQB/T 1x to 3x, Millet Designated Marksman's Scope 1x4, IOR Valdada 1x4 Pitbull, and a few others who escape me at this time. The ACOG is a great scope but I am not a fan of the fixed magnification; sometime you do a lot better with 1x. If you are going into battle the ACOG's reliability is as good as it gets, but most people purchasing optics for their AR simply don't need a sight this expensive.

He may not "need" it, but if he has the money, you can't get much better. Not saying Leupolds aren't good, but Acogs are the benchmark. they take a beating.

I got a Red Chevron TA31, love it!!!

i was looking at the ncstar mark iii gen two with 3-9 x 40(2?)mm. i know ncstar doesnt have same quality that one would expect from a trijicon but i was wondering if anyone has any experience with one. the go for around $140 and have a 3 year warranty. thanks NES

I don't have experience with this specific optics, but I've used some of Ncstar's optics and they just didn't stand up. They worked good at first but not to far down the line they started to fail. Biggest problem I had was that they lost zero very easily.

elcan spectre?
I have one. It's awesome. Depending on which one you get it's twice the ACOG ( ouch!) price. Totally overkill. But, it was a gift to myself from myself and I friggin love it. The wife occasionally catches me dry humping it. If you can afford one get it!

I have one. It's awesome. Depending on which one you get it's twice the ACOG ( ouch!) price. Totally overkill. But, it was a gift to myself from myself and I friggin love it. The wife occasionally catches me dry humping it. If you can afford one get it!

i have been thinking of getting one myself but they are pretty heavy, close to 1lb. if i had a SCAR i would run an elcan on it but my AR's i tend to like as lightweight as possible. still the elcan is sick. someday i will have. as for the OP, my only reason for never getting an ACOG is the fixed magnification.

The IOR Pitbull is pretty much the same price as an ACOG. The other two might be good but they're definitely not comparable to an ACOG.

The ELCANs are awesome, but even more money.

OP, try http://www.samplelist.com and http://www.dvor.com for good prices. Also, Amazon had some great deals on ACOGs a few months ago.

I've got a TA01. Got a good deal on it used. Zero once and done. Fantastic sight. You get what you pay for.

I had a TA11F, very bright glass, super clear. Could see .223 holes at 100 yards. Took one look through a Vortex Razor 1-6x and sold the Trijicon the next day

I had a TA11F, very bright glass, super clear. Could see .223 holes at 100 yards. Took one look through a Vortex Razor 1-6x and sold the Trijicon the next day

Could you post a link? I can only find the red dot and the 5-20x50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Please excuse the brevity and auto corrected wrong words

I also have the TA-31 red chevron. Amazing. I happened upon a good sale at OpticsPlanet. If you're an NRA instructor, call Trijicon and they'll send you their discounted price list. You can get one per year at those prices.

He may not "need" it, but if he has the money, you can't get much better. Not saying Leupolds aren't good, but Acogs are the benchmark. they take a beating.

I got a Red Chevron TA31, love it!!!

My main objection to the ACOG is the fixed 4x. I find a variable power scope much more useful for the shooting I do (practical rifle matches).

I had a ACOG and really liked it but after a while the permanent magnification bothered me. I ended up getting a mepro reflex sight and love it.

i was looking at the ncstar mark iii gen two with 3-9 x 40(2?)mm. i know ncstar doesnt have same quality that one would expect from a trijicon but i was wondering if anyone has any experience with one. the go for around $140 and have a 3 year warranty. thanks NES

Total junk. A complete waste of $140. You're better off saving up a little more and getting something like this instead....

http://www.opticsplanet.com/millett-1-4-x-24-dms-multi-coat-rifle-scope-bk81002.html

-Mike

Total junk. A complete waste of $140. You're better off saving up a little more and getting something like this instead....

http://www.opticsplanet.com/millett-1-4-x-24-dms-multi-coat-rifle-scope-bk81002.html

-Mike

A friend of mine has one and is delighted with it. It has the advantage of 1x4 magnification verses the fixed 4x of the ACOG, but it is by no means the equal of the Trijicon scope. For my needs a scope such as this is just about right. If I had to go to war and bet my life on the scope, I would most likely buy a Trijicon. If Trijicon marketed a 1x4 version of the ACOG I would be first in line. Perhaps it isn't possible to build a variable scope with the durability of the ACOG?

Back
Top Bottom