ACLU getting it right again?

NES Member
ACLU says ATF blocks whistleblower book on scandal

The ACLU charged that the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is worried that the book proposed by an ATF agent would hurt relationships with other U.S. law enforcement agencies.

In a six-page letter to ATF Deputy Director Thomas Brandon, the ACLU said the bureau's decision to block the book proposed by Special Agent John Dodson was a violation of his First Amendment rights. The ACLU described Dodson as a whistleblower.

If the NRA were anything remotely close to the ACLU, we'd have a lot less gun laws.

Fact is ACLU does a great job and frequently pursues fringe cases where the defendants are scumbags. The NRA avoids this like the plague, which is exactly why shitty laws stay on the books forever.

Hope they keep up the good work.

If the NRA were anything remotely close to the ACLU, we'd have a lot less gun laws.

Fact is ACLU does a great job and frequently pursues fringe cases where the defendants are scumbags. The NRA avoids this like the plague, which is exactly why shitty laws stay on the books forever.

Hope they keep up the good work.

Yep! Of course I'd like them to be involved with 2A cases but I'm not going to not support them because they don't. They do a lot of good.

Another great book about the gun running conducted by the BATF is Guns Across the Border by Mike Detty. He was involved in a very similar BATF gun sales scheme and mentions Fast and Furious in his book. Same BATF office that was involved in Fast and Furious.

And to think we need a NICS check to buy a firearm.

I think some of you guys are missing the issue here.

He can write the book if he wants to. He would just have to leave the ATF before doing so. This is an employee action, not a blanket "You can't publish a book that makes us look bad or we'll throw you in jail" order.

I'm surprised more NES'ers don't believe in the old adage by Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.: "There may be a constitutional right to talk politics, but there is no constitutional right to be a policeman."

Last edited:
I think some of you guys are missing the issue here.

He can write the book if he wants to. He would just have to leave the ATF before doing so. This is an employee action, not a blanket "You can't publish a book that makes us look bad or we'll throw you in jail" order.

I'm surprised more NES'ers don't believe in the old adage by Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.: "There may be a constitutional right to talk politics, but there is no constitutional right to be a policeman."

I'm not particularly surprised. Personally, I don't believe that government employers should be able to fire people that make them bad by exposing illegal, immoral, or unethical actions they've committed. That would necessarily be extended to government contactors and subcontractors as well, to prevent the government from hiring out the illegal, immoral, or unethical actions. Governments don't have rights in the same sense that people do.

Another great book about the gun running conducted by the BATF is Guns Across the Border by Mike Detty. He was involved in a very similar BATF gun sales scheme and mentions Fast and Furious in his book. Same BATF office that was involved in Fast and Furious.

And to think we need a NICS check to buy a firearm.

I just finished Detty's book today. It is an amazing view into what really went on. Their are some very corrupt people running the show.

Back
Top Bottom