ACLU: DEA, ATF planned to use license plate readers to monitor gun show attendees

Not surprised. This is exactly why there should be no private/public distinction when it comes to requiring government have a warrant to collect data on you. The idea government can stalk you while "in public" is ludicrous.

if you weren't convinced by now that the government thinks gun owners are terrorists than you have to be convinced with this potential action.

they want to ban the second amendment and they want to confiscate all the guns. They need the numbers to segregate each citizen and to get them when they are alone.

Less chance of resistance and all.

....The agency should....create and release a written policy that it will not target First Amendment-protected activity in the future.

I think they missed a few Constitutionally protected activities there. Not a big surprise coming from the ACLU I guess.

I wonder if people who are upset by this cared when it was leftists and muslims being watched like this.

secret-service-cartoon.gif

Pfft. It was Phoenix. PHOENIX. In 2009.

They were just trying to do damage control on Fast & Furious guns! [wink]
ACLU article said:
The April 2009 email states that “DEA Phoenix Division Office is working closely with ATF on attacking the guns going to [redacted] and the gun shows, to include programs/operation with LPRs at the gun shows.”

Emphasis added.
"attacking the guns going to [redacted]" - Going to the border, perhaps?

But Hillary has said: "We have laws and we must be guided by those laws,' Clinton said earlier, "but we shouldn’t have armed federal officers showing up at peoples’ homes, taking women and children out of their beds in the middle of the night."

So we have nothing to worry about... If it applies to Deportation it should be across the board right?

People get all upset (and rightfully so) when the gov does this surveillance, but they don't seem to care that Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon, etc gather much more info about you and sell it off to other people.

People get all upset (and rightfully so) when the gov does this surveillance, but they don't seem to care that Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon, etc gather much more info about you and sell it off to other people.

Those people don't carry guns and kidnap people for a living, unlike cops/FBI/DHS/etc.

There is zero issue with businesses collecting as much information as you allow them to because they can only try to entice you to buy products with it, not threaten your life or livelihood.

Those people don't carry guns and kidnap people for a living, unlike cops/FBI/DHS/etc.

There is zero issue with businesses collecting as much information as you allow them to because they can only try to entice you to buy products with it, not threaten your life or livelihood.

They can sell it, or give it to the gov

They can sell it, or give it to the gov

I think you're missing the point. Right now, I guarantee if you've ever done anything that includes a paper trail on guns, that DHS collects all your internet traffic already and stores it, creating profiles. There is nothing businesses know about you the government doesn't already have.

The problem is not businesses being allowed to have customer databases (or sell them, since you're agreeing to a contract when you click "I Agree"). The problem is it should be illegal for the federal government to have any data on any citizen without a warrant for a specific crime. That's what needs to happens. And the penalty for violating that should be one penalty, death by public execution.

I think you're missing the point. Right now, I guarantee if you've ever done anything that includes a paper trail on guns, that DHS collects all your internet traffic already and stores it, creating profiles. There is nothing businesses know about you the government doesn't already have.

The problem is not businesses being allowed to have customer databases (or sell them, since you're agreeing to a contract when you click "I Agree"). The problem is it should be illegal for the federal government to have any data on any citizen without a warrant for a specific crime. That's what needs to happens. And the penalty for violating that should be one penalty, death by public execution.

I'm not missing the point. I don't disagree with the .gov part. I'm simply pointing out most people don't realize the extent to which companies are tracking their lives. I don't think that should be allowed either. Perhaps that should be a topic in another thread.

I'm not missing the point. I don't disagree with the .gov part. I'm simply pointing out most people don't realize the extent to which companies are tracking their lives. I don't think that should be allowed either. Perhaps that should be a topic in another thread.

There ought to be a law.

I don't agree with this because they don't track everyone, just the people that explicitly agree to their terms. That's voluntary, not compulsory, unlike government spying.

Not to worry. Everyone on NES and every other 2A forum is on Santa's naughty list. If you don't believe so, I have some swamp land....

Good point! People put themselves online with Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, NES, etc.

Then again, maybe when folks get in to the show, they should unscrew their plates, and toss them under the seat until they come out, just for fun. There's no law against that yet.

I don't agree with this because they don't track everyone, just the people that explicitly agree to their terms. That's voluntary, not compulsory, unlike government spying.
Except it's not always explicit. They track you when you visit their websites. Marketing companies track you across the web based on machine/browser characteristics and cookies. When was the last time you opted into that?

Except it's not always explicit. They track you when you visit their websites. Marketing companies track you across the web based on machine/browser characteristics and cookies. When was the last time you opted into that?

You know you can turn those off or prevent them from doing that right?

I'm not going to hold attempts at making money against companies. That's what they do. As a human being you have to be responsible for yourself. I don't want rules limiting private enterprise. I want rules restricting government.

You know you can turn those off or prevent them from doing that right?

I'm not going to hold attempts at making money against companies. That's what they do. As a human being you have to be responsible for yourself. I don't want rules limiting private enterprise. I want rules restricting government.

Except that private enterprise and government is intertwined and if the private company is tracking you, they hand over the info to the government in many cases.

If you know this is going to happen, it would be funny to get organized and park away from the venue and bus people the last mile. Hire a limo service so they keep getting the same plates over and over. Slap some obama stickers on the shuttles.

Back
Top Bottom