• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Achtung! Smiling is forbidden! (das Lächeln ist verboten)

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
No Smiling for Passport Photos in Germany

BERLIN - Germans were ordered Thursday to stay serious when having their photographs taken for new passports, wiping away any grins, smirks or smiles so that biometric scanners can pick up their facial features.

Interior Minister Otto Schily ordered passport authorities to only accept pictures taken from the front showing the "most neutral facial expression possible," starting Nov. 1.

Facial recognition systems match key features on the holder's face and work best when the face has a neutral expression with the mouth closed.

"A broad smile, however nice it may be, is therefore unacceptable," the Interior Ministry said in a statement.

German officials showcased the new passports in June, saying that they would be much harder to forge or tamper with. Two scanned fingerprints are also to be stored on a chip built into the passport cover from March 2007.

The passports are part of a host of security measures passed by the German government after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

Biometric passports have already been introduced in Canada and the United States.

The European Union agreed common standards in December last year.

Und you vill be krabby, or you vill be sent to ze Russian Front!

Just what DID you expect from one of the world's original police state's?

I lived there 8 years, others here have spent time there, I'd wager that none of us are surprised. I'm not.

C-pher said:
It does really fit the German Stereotype.

I just don't want to be sent to Starlock 13.

Well, actually... Canada beat the Germans to it last year. It was in the news.

As for the German Stereotype... C-ph, you met me; do I seem like the grim and unsmiling type?? Look at the FA10... that last name is pure German. Guess it's the other blood mingling in (like Austrian, English, Irish, etc) that is keeping the German in me from getting too serious. [lol]

Ross - pure-blood Amurrikun. (which is to say, a MUTT! And darned proud of it, too!

The US Military beat them both to the chips. Current ID Cards have chips on them with our medical authorization info and next of kin info (and heaven only knows what else).

I'm not surprised. Having lived amungst the Krauts. Nickle can't tell you how many times Alan's old one got washed and dried.

Cross-X said:
Biometrics don't work.

Voodoo science, useful to snag big Homeland Security federal grants, but otherwise worthless.

The ID card/Passport chip, which wil likely lead to RF tags (first on the ID, later imbedded), is a different story though. They DO work. Might as well shove a leash up our butts.

Nickle said:
Cross-X said:
Biometrics don't work.

Voodoo science, useful to snag big Homeland Security federal grants, but otherwise worthless.

The ID card/Passport chip, which wil likely lead to RF tags (first on the ID, later imbedded), is a different story though. They DO work. Might as well shove a leash up our butts.

Wouldn't a butt leash just fall out?

Nickle said:
Damned lawyers, haven't you got an ambulance to chase? (just kidding)
I seem to remember asking Darius this a few weeks ago... Funny, how he keeps inspiring that reaction. [roll]

Ross

Both of you dudes just got to find some new lawyer-tweak lines.

That ambulance chasing line is so five minutes ago.

Bring out your best (I was gonna say unleash your best, but in light of the recent traffic on this thread, that imagery is just too disturbing)

Cross-X said:
Both of you dudes just got to find some new lawyer-tweak lines.

That ambulance chasing line is so five minutes ago.

Bring out your best (I was gonna say unleash your best, but in light of the recent traffic on this thread, that imagery is just too disturbing)

It's more like 18 minutes ago from my post to yours. Besides, I couldn't resist, you did leave yourself WIDE OPEN.

Remember one of Ross's rules. Never argue with an armed person.

IF we're both at Octoberfest, you'll understand.

Hell, I'll even have you shooting some of my rifles. I've got some that are definitely "different". They are legal, just odd, unusual and old (or collector's ittems).

Cross-X said:
Octoberfest won't happen for me -- I have a defensive shotgun class that takes precedence.

Maybe next year.

Well, that's a bummer. And I was looking forward into converting some more pistol shooters into Battle Rifle shooters. I've got a nice Romanian Sniper rifle for you to try. It's SWEET! No, I didn't take it to Ripton.

Back
Top Bottom