Accurate, light, fairly inexpensive rifle suggestion.

je25ff

NES Member
I took a few years hiatus from shooting and now I'm back with my shiny new HSC badge. I have custom made, floated barrel, fiberglass rifle with a Leupold on it, but it's on the heavy side. I'm looking for any suggestions on a .308 rifle that won't break the bank, on the lighter side, and relatively well made. Any suggestions?

First congratulations on the HSC membership. It’s one of the few things in MA that I miss.

what is the intended purpose of the lightweight rifle in .308? Hunting so it will be carried more than shot? Positional shooting, off hand kneeling etc? Home defense?

The Savage rifles tend to have a great bang for the buck.

Stepping up the Tikka are well made but not in custom rifle cost levels.

First congratulations on the HSC membership. It’s one of the few things in MA that I miss.

what is the intended purpose of the lightweight rifle in .308? Hunting so it will be carried more than shot? Positional shooting, off hand kneeling etc? Home defense?

The Savage rifles tend to have a great bang for the buck.

Stepping up the Tikka are well made but not in custom rifle cost levels.

I was a member there for years but let it lapse. Just looking for something that one could carry for a long time if necessary for, you know, the zombies :D

Begera's are also awesome ive heard ad well.

Personally, I dont need a bolt gun.
But I want the beretta brx 1 when it finally gets here. Mmmm straight pull goodness
Or ill build one.

Tikka hands down. No other factory sub $1k rifle comes close.
tikka no doubt. then, the old CZ 457 or newer 600.
then - a bergara b-14 hmr that is probably the best one in the segment, and arguably better than a tikka.
all can be found sub-1K.

My favorite hunting rifle is the Ruger .308 american predator with 18" barrel. Think I paid $379 for it, then scoped it with a 100 dollar KTP bought 3-9X Vortex Diamondback.

Shoots MOA at 100 yards all day long. If you don't like the stock you can put a Magpul hunter on and make it better. But it add weight.

tikka no doubt. then, the old CZ 457 or newer 600.
then - a bergara b-14 hmr that is probably the best one in the segment, and arguably better than a tikka.
all can be found sub-1K.
+1 Bergara B-14 series.
Felt better in my hands than that Tikka, but can't go wrong with either of those two.

Couple of grand. Something in that ball park.
huh.

then you really have to define what weight you want, as there are crazy good new things out there now in at or even under 5lbs weight segment, but, they not going to be as accurate as a 9-10lbs rig.
and a potential barrel longevity of those ultralight hunting rigs is also quite a question.

of one things i can show - it is how my last ar10 build groups with a 6.5CM hornady eldx loads, at a 100yds.
it is a 2lb faxon 16" big gunner 5R match barrel.
just weighted it - whole rifle is 10lb 4oz with the primary arms 3-18x scope mounted and empty mag in it. not too heavy.
from what i heard .308 faxons perform similar enough - and the point here is - a reasonably lightweight traditional ar10 build that shoots accurate enough is quite doable.

1679319952346.png

Last edited:
You can build/have built to your liking for a couple grand.
I thought it was under a grand/ 600-800.

Knowing that, I'd build my own definatly.
Because in the end, you'll end up tweaking and changing things on a pre-built ruger,savage,bergara or tikka that'll push the price higher and higher each time.

huh.

then you really have to define what weight you want, as there are crazy good new things out there now in at or even under 5lbs weight segment, but, they not going to be as accurate as a 9-10lbs rig.
and a potential barrel longevity of those ultralight hunting rigs is also quite a question.

Right, I'm just looking for a balance. The rifle that I do have is very heavy but also super accurate. I get it.

Negative. I have a Leupold that a decent scope.
origin action - 900
proof carbon prefit - 900
trigger - 300
KRG Bravo - 350

2450 all in for a custom rig in a R700 footprint with endless trigger, chassis and barrel options.

Gonna be pretty hard to beat the Ruger SFAR in terms of lightweight for an autoloader .308 and since it's an AR it will likely be accurate. Under $1000 and all you'll need is an optic and a trigger for a few hundred more.

Back
Top Bottom