Accuracy With A Bipod

At a 100 yards whether off a bag or bi-pod, I'm shooting 3/8 MOA out of my AR. At 200 yards, with the bi-pod I'm off by about 1/8 MOA compared to the bag, at 300 yards, the difference is much more pronounced to about 1/2 moa.

I took the ar out Saturday to check sight in after having it all apart. I brought some mixed ammo that I have been collecting and made a few minor adjustments for both windage and elevation. So, I was satisfied that it was shooting straight, I switched to my match ammo for hoser stages (Hornaday 55gr fmj bt w/ 22gr h322 mixed cases). After taking several shots and making a few more adjustments I realized that I had moved the scope turrets back to the zero settings that I started with. I guess that would be a credit to the ar's modular design.
Shooting off of a bench with only the bipod for support I was really missing my rear bag for the butstock. My groups were not as tight with only a bipod, but plenty accurate for sighting in. Then I moved to the 200yd position (actually I drove there with my suburban, it is behind the 100yd shooting area next to a pavilion with no benches), shooting off of my suburban's hood with one bipod leg extended more to level things out, I shot my long range match load (69gr smk) again i was missing my rear bag, but shooting like this is more realistic for preparing to shoot 3 gun. I can easily shoot an inch at 200 with the SMK's and my sand bags, but off my hood it is about 2 1/4". I'll do some comparisons with some actual results when it gets warmer out.
I have been shooting heavy bolt guns with powerful scopes off of sandbags for a long time so it is definitely a different feel that I will have to get used to.

Back
Top Bottom