1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Accident?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Garys, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Pete85

Pete85

Seat belts aren't required in limos, so I'd highly doubt that anyone had buckled up. If they hid the parked car at a decent amount of speed, people are going to go flying. If they limo suffered brake failure while going down a moderate to steep grade, it could have very quickly gotten up to 60+ mph. People not wearing seat belts don't gain the benefit of crumple zones, they just keep moving until they hit something solid and are stopped instantly.

Salyeica likes this.
  2. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I just realized that reading through it, the media accounts of the events are, as usual, all f***ed up.

-Mike

3. robjax

robjax

don't forget downshifting.

4. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

That worked? I thought cars couldn't shift into park if they were moving too quickly, something about a pin needing to go into a hole on a rapidly spinning shaft or something (sorry I've never seen the mechanism so I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly). IIRC Myth Busters either tried that, or shifting into reverse... forget which, but the car was unaffected.

5. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I'm not sure I would want to get into many of these limos for rent out there. I frequently see them for sale on the side of the road, looking in very lousy condition and some low price like $5000. It's supposed to be luxury, right? It shouldn't cost less than my Cobalt (with no options whatsoever not even power windows) I drive around in.

6. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Mostly only works with a standard

7. drgrant

lol a downshift with an auto still bleeds off speed, and lots of it, too....

SeanT, connor, Laderbuilt and 4 others like this.
  8. meh

meh NES Member

Pin-in-hole is the wrong visual. Rather pawl-in-teeth (of a gear).

9. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

[angry]

Catastrophic limo crash kills 20, but no one knows what's to blame
    UPDATE:

The driver of the modified limo that crashed in upstate New York "did not have the appropriate driver's license to be operating that vehicle," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday.

He also said the vehicle -- which was an SUV modified into a limousine -- "was inspected by the New York State Department of Transportation last month and failed inspection and was not supposed to be on the road."

Twenty people died in Saturday's crash in Schoharie, including the limo's 17 passengers, the driver and two pedestrians.

10. robjax

robjax

admittedly it will work better with a standard. If I have no brakes I'm doing anything I can to slow that car to a stop whether a standard or automatic.

I had a 1971 Plymouth Scamp back in the early 80's. One of my back brakes fell part inside the drum as I was driving down a hill on rt 9 approaching a red light. A couple of fortunate instances was that even though I was moving pretty good I had to actually climb a hill by the Elliot T Stop in Newton as I approached the light. That was very fortunate. But since the brake just fell apart (a spring popped off) it didn't breach the hydraulic system so I did have minimal front brakes. Another thing in my favor is that it was a 3 speed on the floor. So that all worked in my favor and I was not only able to stop the car but also nursed it home back to Boston.

But for a split second I was in a holy crap moment.

I lost a brake line twice in my Expedition when I had one. Once down the cape on Rt 6 in Wellfleet. Front left brake line split. I clamped it off with vise grips and was still able to drive. Fortunately I didn't lose all the fluid so was able to stop. Second time I had my boat on the back (24 foot chaparral). Was pulling out of the driveway and hit the brake and the pedal went to the floor. The steel line went on that occurrence. Thank God I never got on the road or the highway. lol

11. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i am not saying i would not try to downshift. But every time i have tried that in the past, i ACCELERATED downhill.

12. drgrant

Your transmission is broken, then.... I downshift an auto nearly every day I drive...

13. CatSnoutSoup

CatSnoutSoup NES Member

14. meh

meh NES Member

Obviously whether you're going to accelerate or decelerate by downshifting depends on the speed when downshifting and the grade. But as long as the wheels have traction, it will slow you down versus what you'd be doing without downshifting. You may not like the speed you go, but that's a different thing. I drove up Mt. Washington in a minivan years ago. I would not have attempted going down in L1 without brakes.

15. Garys

Garys NES Member

If he doesn't flee the country to avoid prosecution, I expect that he'll cry racism is behind the charges. And of course, his company will be owned by five other shell companies that will all declare bankruptcy to avoid paying the judgements. And, we'll find that the limo wasn't insured, either.

16. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Same here. I can usually come off a ramp and slow from 70 and just need to tap the brakes to come to a full stop at the bottom of the ramp.

17. TLB

TLB

Have to feel for the family members that weren't there. Article said several kids among them. Parents, aunts, and uncles gone in an instant. Terrible.

AHM likes this.
  18. powerman

powerman NES Member

FYI: Engine braking on these new cars is non existent
    Was doing some 4wheeling in Colorado with one of the newer trail hawks. In 4 low equivalent with rear diff locked in manual mode in first gear, would get to about 15mph about 3500rpm and would then LET GO. zero braking. We figured it had something to do with the cam timing, it would change and engine would breath easy and go to zero engine braking. It was like a switch you had something then it seemed like you shifted into neutral.

dingbat likes this.
  19. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

I saw an article in a NH paper this year about car brakes overheating more than usual coming down the MT WA autoroad. I wonder if this had something to do with it?

20. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Gotta be a jeep thing. My 2008 Acura TL, wifes 2013 Sorento, 2014 GMC Savana and my 2015 Malibu all have had manual mode shifters. Every time I'd come off a highway I'd pull it into manual and whack it down to third gear and let the engine slow me. Then to second, finally first depending on traffic, and then just bump the brakes to stop at the bottom.

My 18 Fusion has that stupid dial shifter, and just a low button which will do the same, just not how I would like for engine braking. Still has never released like you experienced.

drgrant likes this.
  21. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

More than likely its stupidity related.

22. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

I left a car shoot where someone called 911 after the car caught fire. Wanted to beat feet and when I pulled over for the fire truck on the main road both brake lines popped. Luckily it was near the gas station down the road and not in the hills. Scary to think how things went from bad to horrific in seconds.

SERE likes this.
  23. ToddDubya

ToddDubya NES Member

24. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

I was only crawling with it, all I had to do was back it away from the tree and off the sidewalk onto the street, then I jammed it into Park. I could have dragged it off with the tow truck too, but this was quicker because I wanted to tow it from the front.

He had a valid license, but it wasn't a CDL, which is required by law when you transport more than 14 passengers. You can actually drive a vehicle up to 26,000 lbs GVW with a regular Class D license, and there's no way a stretched Excursion is even close to 26,000 because it's essentially an F-250 chassis.

I'm still going with brake failure as the cause, but I'd like to see the inspection report to see specifically why it was failed. Yes, bad brakes are a major safety issue, but it could have been failed for a much smaller problem such as a cracked windshield, broken side mirror, exhaust leak, or even a blinker light not working.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    mwalsh9152 likes this.
  25. AHM

AHM NES Member

My grandfather would regard a car as powerful
    if it could ascend Oak Hill westbound on Rt .7 (not Rt. 30)
    without downshifting out of high gear.
    Sigh.

26. Lip

Lip Army Veteran

Well I've heard the NTSB is reviewing how they make them. I wonder like the atf they will disallow them and then allow them modified..

27. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

I just read an updated article that said there were no skid marks approaching or through the intersection, which again makes me think it was brake failure.

dingbat likes this.
  28. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

29. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

“On Monday, Mr. Cuomo seemed to question whether more legislative oversight of the industry was the answer. “I don’t know that this a situation where you can find a new law or a new regulation,” he said.”

Versus

“Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo reiterated his call Saturday for the GOP-controlled State Senate to return to Albany to pass the “red-flag” bill, which is aimed at blocking dangerous people from having access to guns.

At a news conference in a Manhattan hotel with members of the Congressional Black Caucus, Cuomo also spoke out against President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee. U.S. appeals court Judge Brett Kavanaugh, if confirmed, would vote to overturn state gun-control laws such as the 2013 SAFE Act, which bans assault-style weapons and magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, Cuomo said. “

Kavanaugh’s possible ascension to the high court makes passage of the red-flag bill an urgent priority, he said.

30. Ski

Ski

This whole story smells like shit...
    I would never rule out possible Islamist jihad motive from the driver who was Pakistani.
    The owner was a counter terrorism informant (as if they're all credible )with a very sketchy background including murder.
    Never underestimate that the driver could have committed his obligated suicidal jihad against infidels drinking and celebrating.