1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Accident?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Garys, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Garys

Garys NES Member

Limo crash at popular tourist spot kills 20, officials say

2. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

that's a lot of people for a car crash. Even a big limo holds 'only' 10. Article says 18 in the limo??

3. Garys

Garys NES Member

Part of it is that the limo ran into pedestrians on the sidewalk.

4. zboys

zboys NES Member

There are 18 passenger limos, my wife drives one occasionally for her work

northny likes this.
  5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

High capacity vehicle. No one needs one of those.

looser38, robjax, bgoum and 6 others like this.
  6. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

7. kevin9

kevin9

A quick google shows the store located at a "T" intersection. A vehicle coming down the stem of the "T" too fast to stop would overrun right into the store parking lot.

8. Lignum Vitea

Lignum Vitea

Driver error, mechanical failure or driver yelling Al Akbar as he plows the sidewalk.

robjax likes this.
  9. ProGun

ProGun NES Member

Based on past behavior, I would certainly expect Herr Cuomo to be all over these high-capacity vehicles.

[​IMG]

robjax likes this.
  10. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  11. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

The CNN News got it wrong? Shocking I say SHOCKING!

looser38 likes this.
  12. meh

meh NES Member

I heard that the NTSB was dispatching a "go team". If that's true, we'll eventually get a thorough report.

13. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

From what I understand it’s a very hilly area and commercial vehicles and large trucks have been banned on this particular road.

AHM likes this.
  14. kevin9

kevin9

That would fit: Here's the Google maps view and street-view where you can see NY 30 ending at a "T" across from the parking lot
    upload_2018-10-7_19-57-27.png
    upload_2018-10-7_20-5-35.png
    Also true. Here's the google maps terrain view where you can see 30 leading to the intersection is a pretty good downhill stretch
    upload_2018-10-7_19-59-59.png
    And here's the street-view at the intersection of 7 and 30 with no truck signs for 30:
    upload_2018-10-7_20-2-21.png

15. JJ4

JJ4 NES Member

If they just chopped and extended the vehicle without upgrading the brakes it probably couldn't handle the additional weight.

Saw that this is the worst US transportation fatalities in about a decade.

16. Zappa

Now that we know the vehicle was a 2001 Ford Excursion, I'm leaning towards brake failure as the cause of the accident. Ford trucks of the era are prone to brake lines rotting out, especially in regions where Winter and road salt are factors.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Fixxah, Nick Fury and mibro like this.
  17. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I'm definitely thinking brake failure if some sort. Terrible either way.

18. Nick Fury

Nick Fury

Yep. I had a 2000 Ford Ranger and one day I went to back out and the pedal went straight to the floor. A couple more pumps produced the same thing. I threw it into park and saw brake fluid everywhere. I shudder to think what would have happened if I was actually driving...

19. Pete85

Pete85

The limo we rented for my 21st birthday held 17 passengers, and that was almost 13 years ago. Add the driver and you're up to 18 and if someone was riding shotgun (backup driver, family/friend of the driver) and you're up to 19. I'm sure there are bigger limos than the one we rented, that can hold more passengers.

20. Zappa

Updated info:

Four sisters and their husbands are among TWENTY people killed on their way to a surprise party when their limousine span out of control, hit a parked car and mowed down two bystanders in New York

• All 18 people inside the limo - including the driver were killed in the crash and all of them were adults
    • Four sisters; Abigail Jackson, Mary Dyson, Allison King and Amy Steenburg, and their husbands, all died
    • They were en route to a surprise 30th birthday party for the youngest sister Amy when they crashed

21. Horrible

Horrible NES Member

That is about the same death toll as 5 mass shootings. NYC needs some serious limo control! Ban limos!

Lip and robjax like this.
  22. clampett

clampett NES Member

A few years ago I lost the brakes to my 2002 F550 while driving down a mountain road. A combination of shifting the transmission into low, applying the E brake, and the fact that I was only going 20 mph when I lost the brakes is how I was able to keep it on the road. The steel brake line had rusted out, which surprised me, my fuel lines are stainless steel and I assumed that my brake lines were too.

FormerlyIndifferent likes this.
  23. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

New law only 2 people per limo !

24. powerman

powerman NES Member

My 2005 Econoline passenger wagon had to have all lines replaced 5 years ago. My daughter was in boston and lost all brakes. Both circuits, I think the rear make have failed slowly and was not working and then she Blew one of the font lines right out so had zero brakes. Luckly se was going slow enough to stop with the e brake.
    The e brakes are worthless. Really parking brakes

25. Zappa

The brake line rusting problem normally occurs beneath the clips that secure the lines to the underbody, where it can't easily be spotted during a visual inspection. Water and road salt collect between the line and the clips, which accelerates corrosion in those spots.
    I worked a fatal accident about five years ago that involved brake failure on a late 90's model Explorer, in which the victim was a high school girl. This was an odd tragedy, which would have been prevented, if she had obeyed her father.
    She was told NOT to drive the car because there was a problem with the brakes, but she decided to take it anyway. She didn't even make it off her residential street (which was a slight downhill grade) before the car crashed into a tree. Here's the odd twist, when she went to hit the brakes and nothing happened, she freaked out and jumped from the moving vehicle. However, she didn't get far enough away from the vehicles path when she hit the ground and was run over by the rear wheel. The now driverless vehicle continued on to jump the curb and hit a tree.
    When I got to the scene, I surveyed the damage and the car wasn't really all that bad. The nose was crunched, but it didn't look anything close to being a fatal. In fact, the car still ran. If she had stayed inside with her seatbelt on, she would have been fine. I actually got in it, started it up, and backed it off from the tree, which is when I discovered it had no brakes. Not really a problem for me, I just jammed it back into PARK to stop, but I'm a professional, this wasn't my first time dealing with a no brake situation.

dingbat, Aaron[MA] and Squib308 like this.
  26. Garys

Garys NES Member

I read an updated story on this accident today. The limo was a replacement for a bus that had broken down. One of the victims texted her sister (I think) and complained about the terrible condition of the limo. Brake failure is certainly a possibility, although driver error is as well.

If the brake lines failed, that should be evident when the limo is locked at. If not, then maybe it was driver error, but since he's dead we'll likely never know.

AHM likes this.
  27. crazymjb

crazymjb

It's still nuts to me that EVERYONE in the limo was killed. Awful tragedy, especially for the poor girl whose party it was for and lost her entire family.

Mike

28. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Yeah that's pretty f***ed up, if you think about it. Nobody can ever say "happy birthday" to her ever again without ending up feeling like a clown about it.

-Mike

looser38 likes this.
  29. meh

meh NES Member

The reporting is made more confusing for mentioning the "surprise" aspect of it, but I think the surprise must have been prior to the group embarking. Or perhaps she was given a different cover story for the trip, but Amy Steenburg died in the crash.

30. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I spent a fair amount of time reminding my kids to use the emergency brake if the main brakes fail