• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Accident buck

I was hesitant to post this mistake buck. At first i thought it was a doe,(turnes out it was a small spike buck) I shot it from 40 yards uphill on the ground. While the arrow was in the air it nicked a branch and hit the deer in the rear. Right away i knew it was a bad shot and started looking for it, after about 5 min of tracking blood i found him laying on the ground trying to get up, my instinct was to jump on him and snap its neck to stop the painfull misery, and thats just what i did. I hope this experience will never happan again, i felt really bad for the thing, but i do have meat in the frezzer. I have had a 2x2 and another spike walk by me and i let them walk im interested in older bigger bucks. this was a mistake on my part thinking it was a doe, at 40 yards i couldent see spikes.

Deer.jpg

Good eating either way. The last one I shot in the ass I never saw it again :( Feel lucky u could recover it.

You killed Bambi[crying]

[rofl] (As a kid I came out of that movie wanting to hunt deer.)

It will be some very tender, tasty meat. Enjoy it. Don't beat yourself too hard about the bad shot, it's always a possibility with hunting (especially bow hunting.).

Hell of a way to go... But you ended it quickly. Kudos for snapping the neck. That takes some stones. Lucky for you you didn't get fecal matter in the meat. Enjoy it.

What do you mean by bad shot? 1. a shot that you shouldn't have taken because it was outside of your ability to make clean kill shot from the distance and environmental factors. or 2. It was a shot I felt I could make a clean kill however i muffed the shot and ended up only wounding the deer instead of making a clean kill.

if it was #1 learn to control yourself to wait for a clean kill shot and not force the issue. if it was #2 we all make bad shots here and there you did good.

Your first thought was to snap its neck? That's hardcore! Be proud of this one, 40 yards and from the ground... you put yourself at risk to end his pain quick. Congrats and enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom