• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Accessibility, time counts

Accessibility , Time Counts
Although there are a variety of means and methods a person can employ to carry their concealable firearm on their person, the key factor of “accessibility” can be the determining factor of the out come.
How quickly an individual is able to gain access to their concealed firearm during a highly volatile and stressful situation and confront the threat depends on two factors. Number one is what physical position finds themselves at the time of the confrontation. Standing erect on your feet? Sitting in a car? Lying on the ground? Number two is the preferred method one carrying their firearm and what type of equipment utilized securing the firearm. IWB, OWB, POCKET, ANKLE, or SHOULDER among other ways are variety of ways to conceal carry with each method having both pluses and minuses.

Lets start with a situation where one is standing erect on their feet during an encounter. Pocket carry wins here with my vote. Concealed and readily available with a minimum of body mechanics involved during presentation of the firearm. Add to that I would venture to say most of us during our lives have developed muscle memory by repeatedly reaching into our pockets to retrieving a variety of items. So, under times of extreme stress this muscle memory imprinting could lend itself to a quicker and successful presentation of a concealed firearm. On the downside if one is seated, or lying prone, pocket carry can present some delay in retrieving the firearm. Not impossible, but definitely can slow things down. Now lets look at IWB, OWB and SHOULDER HOLSTER carry options , These methods require some additional measures for concealment purposes, i.e. coat, jacket,shirt,etc. Slower in retrieval of a concealed firearm but advantageous while seated, kneeling, or lying prone. Also presents the issue of telegraphing your moves to your adversary , i.e. sweeping back your jacket, lifting your shirt etc. which can be counterproductive and have an adverse impact on the outcome. Finally utilizing a ankle holster does provide a good measure of concealment and advantage of being readily available while lying prone, kneeling or sitting but like IWB, OWB and SHOULDER HOLSTER, rapid retrieval can be delayed.

Lastly, regardless on what method one utilizes to carry their concealable firearm, one thing that is imperative is your holster gear. It is somewhat perplexing to me why an individual would shell out a considerable amount of cash to purchase a quality firearm yet settle for a mediocre holster. Why would anyone purchase a holster that could invariably delay a rapid ,unimpeded draw of a firearm. It is just as important to have a good, operational, quality holster as the gun itself. Remember accessibility, time counts.

Cordially,
Robert Mika

P.S. Any feedback regarding this post from members of this forum would be greatly appreciated

I disagree about pocket carry. Even using a pocket holster the gun hangs up 10x more than grabbing it out of an iwb kydex holster. I would pocket carry a .25, but for me any "useful" sized gun is too big to access quickly.

I wish I could just walk around with my Roscoe in my hand...

Appendix carry is by far the fastest method that gives you the widest range of accessibility and speed. Just sayin'
Standing? Wins
Prone? Wins
Car? Wins.
Weak hand draw? Wins
Landing hot chicks? Wins
Comfort? Loses (in most cases)

FAT PEOPLE DON'T APPLY

Last edited by a moderator:
Accessibility , Time Counts
Although there are a variety of means and methods a person can employ to carry their concealable firearm on their person, the key factor of “accessibility” can be the determining factor of the out come.
How quickly an individual is able to gain access to their concealed firearm during a highly volatile and stressful situation and confront the threat depends on two factors. Number one is what physical position finds themselves at the time of the confrontation. Standing erect on your feet? Sitting in a car? Lying on the ground? Number two is the preferred method one carrying their firearm and what type of equipment utilized securing the firearm. IWB, OWB, POCKET, ANKLE, or SHOULDER among other ways are variety of ways to conceal carry with each method having both pluses and minuses.

Lets start with a situation where one is standing erect on their feet during an encounter. Pocket carry wins here with my vote. Concealed and readily available with a minimum of body mechanics involved during presentation of the firearm. Add to that I would venture to say most of us during our lives have developed muscle memory by repeatedly reaching into our pockets to retrieving a variety of items. So, under times of extreme stress this muscle memory imprinting could lend itself to a quicker and successful presentation of a concealed firearm. On the downside if one is seated, or lying prone, pocket carry can present some delay in retrieving the firearm. Not impossible, but definitely can slow things down. Now lets look at IWB, OWB and SHOULDER HOLSTER carry options , These methods require some additional measures for concealment purposes, i.e. coat, jacket,shirt,etc. Slower in retrieval of a concealed firearm but advantageous while seated, kneeling, or lying prone. Also presents the issue of telegraphing your moves to your adversary , i.e. sweeping back your jacket, lifting your shirt etc. which can be counterproductive and have an adverse impact on the outcome. Finally utilizing a ankle holster does provide a good measure of concealment and advantage of being readily available while lying prone, kneeling or sitting but like IWB, OWB and SHOULDER HOLSTER, rapid retrieval can be delayed.

Lastly, regardless on what method one utilizes to carry their concealable firearm, one thing that is imperative is your holster gear. It is somewhat perplexing to me why an individual would shell out a considerable amount of cash to purchase a quality firearm yet settle for a mediocre holster. Why would anyone purchase a holster that could invariably delay a rapid ,unimpeded draw of a firearm. It is just as important to have a good, operational, quality holster as the gun itself. Remember accessibility, time counts.

Cordially,
Robert Mika

P.S. Any feedback regarding this post from members of this forum would be greatly appreciated
Thank you very much for your holsters that you made me. They are tremendous.

No It really doesn't. I'm sorry people are fat, but the reality is that appendix provides the most accessibility and speed all things being equal. I get they are not. If you're fat, maybe you should get in shape, because you're more likely to need physical fitness to survive long term rather than getting a gun out.

Cheese guy’s original post reminds me of high school when teacher said to write a 1000 word essay, and you would go on and on just to hit that number!
Cheese man- notice all replies are from green members, consider going green yourself!

Last edited:
OP is just advertising his own product.

I have a Desantis pocket holster and like it a lot. Pocket carry is great for deep concealment but otherwise I tend to carry appendix. We spend a lot of our lives sitting down, whether in our cars or elsewhere, and drawing from the pocket or even 4 o'clock is a major hurdle in those situations, while appendix is fast and easy. Plus it earns tacticoolness points on da 'gram.

So this is just social media marketing?

Not a bad attempt, but the claim that pocket carry is best simply doesn't hold water. When I pocket carry, I am always conscious of how slow the draw would be compared to an IWB holster. And it's hopeless in the car. But pocket carry does provide maximum concealment, and sometimes that's necessary.

Back
Top Bottom