• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

about tommy guns

paul73

NES Member
just got an email from the battlehawk today and it got my attention.
could anybody who knows this stuff explain - how the seemingly same thing can have a price span from $3.5K down to $1.2K?
what is actually different there, as they all seem to be from the auto ordnance?
1663260462711.png

Looks like it’s like the STI type trim level. The action is identical and the metal is the same except for the color and finish. The furniture seems to be the big driver of the cost from basic plastic to higher end wood. Then you have a “limited edition” model, limited addition in the firearms world is a crap shoot as far as them holding value. Do you care about the bootlegger edition? I don’t, but that may be cool to you.

Looks like it’s like the STI type trim level. The action is identical and the metal is the same except for the color and finish. The furniture seems to be the big driver of the cost from basic plastic to higher end wood. Then you have a “limited edition” model, limited addition in the firearms world is a crap shoot as far as them holding value. Do you care about the bootlegger edition? I don’t, but that may be cool to you.
it`s gotta be one hell of the trim if it has same guts but differs $2K in price. i kinda presumed it has to be something more to it.
my interest is purely academical here.

it`s gotta be one hell of the trim if it has same guts but differs $2K in price. i kinda presumed it has to be something more to it.
my interest is purely academical here.

A gold semi-automatic Tommy Gun is apparently a highly sought after item lol.

The high end ones come with a drum vs a stick mag. Front grip is a higher end option. I just looked on the Kahr site and the action is the same. The premium is mostly fit and finish.

Last edited:
Get a nice PCC. Put a brick or seven on the stock right behind the receiver. Shoot a few rounds. Now you've experienced shooting a Tommy-gun.

I shot one full-auto once. It wasn't pleasant for such a poofter cartridge. Ass end wanted to fall to hte ground. Terrible design. Not worth $1,200 in my book.

I fired an M1A1 at the old Westfield Machine Gun Shoot about 15 years ago. It was fun. For about five minutes.

Heavy sucka fer shure.

I can think of better ways to get rid of a lot of 45ACP very fast.

But, it was fun.

Get a nice PCC. Put a brick or seven on the stock right behind the receiver. Shoot a few rounds. Now you've experienced shooting a Tommy-gun.
You aren't kidding. My PD has 2 genuine Tommy guns (transferables) and one day I just lifted one out of the rack in the armory (no mag in the smg). Heavy as hell, I had no desire to shoot it.

I've always loved Tommy guns. I rented one in Vegas once - I thought it was OK. I didn't really feel it was too heavy (but the weight was REALLY noticeable when I swapped guns with a friend for the last map and took his MP5. The think I didn't like was I couldn't get through a mag without at least one jam, if not more. I don't know if that's common, or just a "feature" of rented full autos, but my buddy's MP5 ran without a hiccup.

Just saw one at Maine Pawn and Gun in Berlin, if anyone is interested.

and let’s not forget how much fun it is having the racking knob chew up your hand while pulling back against what feels like a 300lb spring

and let’s not forget how much fun it is having the racking knob chew up your hand while pulling back against what feels like a 300lb spring
Or having one not fire and lock up only to discharge in the back seat through the case...like a client's. True I was not there and would've dealt with it at the range but still scary.

IMG_2010.jpg

You aren't kidding. My PD has 2 genuine Tommy guns (transferables) and one day I just lifted one out of the rack in the armory (no mag in the smg). Heavy as hell, I had no desire to shoot it.

It is similar to an Uzi in it's recoil, if I recall. For the cartridge it is firing, somehow it seems to MAGNIFY the recoil. I sold my Uzi because of this. A 9mm beating you in the head with a gun that weighs about half as much as my car never made sense to me. Tommy Gun was similar. I think in both cases it's not hte mass but where it's located.

just got an email from the battlehawk today and it got my attention.
could anybody who knows this stuff explain - how the seemingly same thing can have a price span from $3.5K down to $1.2K?
what is actually different there, as they all seem to be from the auto ordnance?
View attachment 662146
In my opinion, the best value is the $1,300 gun. Unless you like plastic.

Also, I just looked at Battlehawk. They seem to only have 1 rifle in stock.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best value is the $1,300 gun. Unless you like plastic.

Also, I just looked at Battlehawk. They seem to only have 1 rifle in stock.
i`ve held it before, and i shot it. i like the sense of history behind it, but do not like it much as a gun.
to have a full auto version of it would be nice. but the amount of effort to get to this status, damn, it is not for me.

i`ve held it before, and i shot it. i like the sense of history behind it, but do not like it much as a gun.
to have a full auto version of it would be nice. but the amount of effort to get to this status, damn, it is not for me.
You could become an FFL and turn the $1300 into a full auto.

I have an AO 1927A1 with the drum and sticks. I don't even like to carry it out to the range on my own property. It is surprisingly accurate even with the crappy sights, but one mag through it and I am good for the day. Charging it sucks, carrying it sucks. I got it from a family member just for novelty and to give to my brother when he gets out of the navy (He has always wanted one). The only reason to own one is if you think they are cool, otherwise totally useless.

I've always loved Tommy guns. I rented one in Vegas once - I thought it was OK. I didn't really feel it was too heavy (but the weight was REALLY noticeable when I swapped guns with a friend for the last map and took his MP5. The think I didn't like was I couldn't get through a mag without at least one jam, if not more. I don't know if that's common, or just a "feature" of rented full autos, but my buddy's MP5 ran without a hiccup.

Just saw one at Maine Pawn and Gun in Berlin, if anyone is interested.
Same here. Rented one at MFL when they were over at the old location on Brown Ave. in Manchester. Buurrrrrp. Jam. Buurrrrrrp. Jam. Kind of spoiled the fun of it, but I just assumed it was old, worn magazines. The quote about a semi one being like a Franklin Mint collectable is about right.

I got rid of mine earlier in the year. It was heavy, racking a round took strength for sure. I didn't have any issues running it. But, the person I traded it too contacted me to trade back. Later found out they had nothing but trouble with it. I don't know what believe of his story.

It has a cool factor for sure. I wouldn't mind a WW2 version. Short barrel and side cocking. They really should lighten it up though

The semi auto is much harder to rack than the full auto. Yes, it's quite heavy which helps keep recoil down. Imagine how heavy it is with a full C drum.

Dad was a USMC Vietnam helicopter pilot and kept a Thompson as an "Oh shit!" gun. For whatever reason he loved that thing and always regretted that he didn't bring it back.

I bought one from Hembrow's Gun Shop waaaay back in the day. Had it to go with my Garand and AO 1911. The Garand and the 1911 got plenty of range time, the tommy gun, not so much. Paul.

Mine started life as a West Hurley but sometime before I got it, someone replaced every part except the receiver with WWII Savage parts. Some West Hurleys don't work because there was a rush to get them into the registry before the law went into effect. Mine runs like a top.

Back
Top Bottom