• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

About that time again.

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Found out Friday I need to have my right shoulder reconstructed for the 3rd time.

I currently practice left handed shooting fairly regularly, as I am left eye dominant, and want to be prepared if something happens left vs. right handed.

Any tips or tricks I ought to be aware of other than getting some lefty holsters and practicing drawing and one handed shooting?

Right arm will be in a sling for 4-6 months.

Good luck! I've had both shoulders done.

No specific advice for shooting lefty- the switch seemed easy enough for me. Just watch out for where some semi's will spit the cases. If you often shoot without eye protection, you should wear it when shooting semi's as a lefty.

If you get the green light from the doc to shoot rifles righty but still are a bit sore, a shoulder recoil pad can help. Worked for me in large bore competitions.

I will follow this thread. I am also left eye dominant but right handed. I shoot all my rifles left handed (for some reason it feels more comfortable holding the rifle with my right hand), but I shoot handguns with my right hand (I cant get a good left hand grip on a handgun to save my life), but aim with my left eye.

It is a giant PITA.

Maybe I could just close my left eye when shooting handguns lol. But I want to see if someone has a better solution.

Last edited:
Be very wary with the painkillers - opioid induced constipation is no flipping joke, bro. I got hit after my shoulder surgery, and I think I may have actually shed tears. Seriously, as gross as it is to talk about - if you’re going to be taking opiates, take a stool softener.

Be very wary with the painkillers - opioid induced constipation is no flipping joke, bro. I got hit after my shoulder surgery, and I think I may have actually shed tears. Seriously, as gross as it is to talk about - if you’re going to be taking opiates, take a stool softener.
That is for sure!! When I had my Heart surgery my gut locked up tight. laxatives didn't work, They had to take me to X ray and use a tracible enema. That caused me to spend an extra six days in the hospital

That is for sure!! When I had my Heart surgery my gut locked up tight. laxatives didn't work, They had to take me to X ray and use a tracible enema. That caused me to spend an extra six days in the hospital
Yeah, my wife swears they warned me before I left the hospital - but I was so high from everything they pumped into me I couldn’t remember a damned thing.

Yeah, my wife swears they warned me before I left the hospital - but I was so high from everything they pumped into me I couldn’t remember a damned thing.
Thankfully, I have never needed to take these sorts of meds for more than a couple days.

Right now, my shoulder sort of feels like some sadistic jerk is slowly drilling into my shoulder, packing the hole with rock salt, then washing it out with vinegar.

Found out Friday I need to have my right shoulder reconstructed for the 3rd time.

I currently practice left handed shooting fairly regularly, as I am left eye dominant, and want to be prepared if something happens left vs. right handed.

Any tips or tricks I ought to be aware of other than getting some lefty holsters and practicing drawing and one handed shooting?

Right arm will be in a sling for 4-6 months.

Sorry to come across as an ass, but maybe you might want to consider spending your energy finding the correct surgeon. I do sincerely wish you a speedy and full recovery.

I broke the knuckle on my right pinkie in a bar fight years ago, called a "boxer's fracture". In a cast for a month. The absolute WORST thing was figuring out how to wipe my ass with the other hand. Thanks for the memory.
Defending my GF's "wife now" honor many years ago, I broke my right hand 4th metacarpal on some jerks forehead.

Back
Top Bottom