• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

? about building a 10/22 from scratch

I was planning from scratch 10/22 project until yesterday, there was a 10/22 on GB that was an Ok deal. I'll be picking it up next week.

I like the M.O.A. Stainless Steel receiver, it is $179.95
http://www.moaguns.com/rec10_22.html
It is Stainless Steel which is nice.
Will accept threaded or factory barrels.
Has an additional mounting lug on the rear, solves barrel droop, if it worries you at all.

The 80% is neat but, spendy considering the last 20% is DIY, tools to finish it are $40, and then you have to send in the paper work to the ATF.

If the TI you are looking at is the one with the rail take a look at the NoDak Spud NDS-22 receivers. http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-22.htm
They just put "seconds" on clearence for $110.00

Are either of the receivers definitively better than stock? The pricing is close to or more thant what you'd pay for a whole 10/22, and you still have to finish it. You're essentially mfg a receiver, which is legal, but you have to file the form with ATF and the FA-10 (if you are in MA).

Seems like a whole lot of extra work for no benefit unless they are way better than stock.

The non-Ruger receivers are better than stock, but whether those improvements are worth it to you are going to be based on what your intended purpose for the rifle is, and how much cash you're willing to sink into it. If you're intent is to build an ultimate target rifle on the 10/22 platform, and you're budget is at least, say, $1000, than those receivers make a lot of sense. For anything less than that, I believe that your money would be better spent improving other parts of the 10/22.

You can build a really, really nice 10/22 off the Ruger receiver, after all. I have three 10/22s with varying levels of modification from factory. Add an aftermarket stock, better trigger, new aftermarket or reworked factory barrel, and some good sights or glass. That's where the big gains in accuracy and shootability are. The replacement receivers are for those hunting that last 2% of possible accuracy, or perhaps people who can't bear the thought of buying a Ruger 10/22 and getting rid of most of it.

I've got an 80% stainless receiver for a 10/22, but it's pretty low on the project list. I got it so I can add a bolt handle on the left side of the rifle (opposite the original), which on a Ruger receiver would involve destroying the serial number - not worth the jail term, for sure. My plan is to mill out the extra slot, and put my serial number elsewhere. I am aware that this is neither cost effective, or something that anyone who isn't left handed would understand the motivation for. That's what makes this receiver worth it to me - for most people, not so much.

Why would you be required to send paperwork to the BATF ?

Unless your planning on building a SBR.

Unless your talking about a state requirement ?

Im not familiar with a federal requirement to register a rifle as long as its at least 26 OAL and has a barrel at least 16 inches long.

ETA: Thanks for clearing that up namedpipes +3.

I was planning from scratch 10/22 project until yesterday, there was a 10/22 on GB that was an Ok deal. I'll be picking it up next week.

The 80% is neat but, spendy considering the last 20% is DIY, tools to finish it are $40, and then you have to send in the paper work to the ATF.

If the TI you are looking at is the one with the rail take a look at the NoDak Spud NDS-22 receivers. http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-22.htm
They just put "seconds" on clearence for $110.00

Why would you be required to send paperwork to the BATF ?

Unless your planning on building a SBR.

Unless your talking about a state requirement ?

Im not familiar with a federal requirement to register a rifle as long as its at least 26 OAL and has a barrel at least 16 inches long.

ETA: Thanks for clearing that up namedpipes +3.

Actually I was under the impression that you'd have to complete a form-1 when completing a receiver, as you would essentially be manufacturing a firearm. I see now there is some debate on that, but I don't have the definitive answer.

On the state side, you MUST pseudo-register the completed firearm via FA-10 form, if in Mass.

While we're touching on the subject...

...what DOES constitute 'manufacturing a firearm'?

If you build a '10/22 type rifle' completely from afermarket parts, without ever having purchase a rifle to use as the base of the project, ARE you engaged in manufacturing?

From both my experience building 6 or 7 of these and from reading a LOT from others top level builds, unless you're going full monty on your build, the aftermarket receivers will do very little if anything above and beyond the Ruger receiver. If you're going to go that route, you really should be looking at the other top level parts to go with it (Kidd trigger, Lilja bbl, etc) Don't go extreme on one aspect and low ball the rest. Having a fancy receiver to impress does nothing if the rest isn't equally impressive AND the performance isn't there. Also, on such a build, one should be looking at availabilty of the better target/match ammo as well. No gonna pout the cheap bulk fodder through a match level build are ya? ;)
Decide what the final result will be for (performance, fun, looks, etc). Plan your budget and start looking for parts. Remember, the recognized brands aren't always the best.
The 80% stuff...with so many options available why bother? Mess it up and you have a paperweight. You do need to serial number it I believe and it would require a serial number and the federal stuff. Using all aftermarket parts to build a complete one doesn't constitute "manufacturing" as the receiver is already made and registered. The 80% receivers were marketable prior to the Charger when folks wanted them to build a non-Class 3 legal 10/22 pistol.
Got specific Q's shoot 'em his way. Happy to help.

My reasons for building

I already have 1 extra 10/22 stock, barrel band and barrel. Ruger wants 42.00for the entire trigger group and 34.00 for the bolt assembly, The other bolts,V-block, handle and pins are under 30 bucks. My thought process was this: I want a receiver that is unique to the gun I would like to build. The ruger receiver is crap when it comes to fit, finish, friction and tolorances.
So, if I purchase a machined aftermarket receiver I can do 1 of two things, Put my existing parts on it or take apart my target 10/22 (.bull barrel and thumb home stock & trigger group) reassemble my stock 22 and add the cool looking aftermarket receiver to my target model. that gives me a totaly unique targer gun and the parts to reassemble my factory 10/22. I can say that I built it from scratch. All this for less than a couple hundred bucks or the cost of a new plastic ruger.

I looked at other receivers:
LH almost $400.00
Valq over $300.00
TI $240.00
X-ring $360.00
MOA $190.00 copy of the ruger receiver (its also a casting)
Nodak Spud $110.00 reworked and no longer available

RAZOR receiver 125.00 it looks better than the other ones (well toss up between X-Ring and it, my oppinion) and I get to finish the work. I don't have to pay any FFL dealer for the transfer fee that seems to range from 20 to 50 dollars depending on the gun shop and sinse I'm buying out of state I have no state tax. All the links are on this one page http://www.ruger1022receiver.com I don't mind spending a few dollars or I wouldn't be in this sport. I just don't want to spend 2 or 3 hundred more when I don't have to, to get the same thing.

Last edited:
I would love to see a federal law that requires one to file paperwork when building a firearm from 80% or below completion level.

While I realise that your state may require such a thing I contend that there is no federal law that does.

Actually I was under the impression that you'd have to complete a form-1 when completing a receiver, as you would essentially be manufacturing a firearm. I see now there is some debate on that, but I don't have the definitive answer.

On the state side, you MUST pseudo-register the completed firearm via FA-10 form, if in Mass.

If you own or are thinking of building a 1022 and you are not a member of the forum linked to below you are missing out on alot.

I found a bunch of Bingham taylor preban mags here that fit my 1022 for a very reasonable price.

They also have a billet 1022 receiver that is available don't remember if its stainless steel or aluminum but it was a beautiful piece that I plan to own once I locate my login info for this board.

http://rimfirecentral.com/

Last edited:
"Ruger wants 42.00for the entire trigger group and 34.00 for the bolt assembly"

Does this mean you're looking at spending the $$$ for a machined receiver because the "Ruger receiver is crap when it comes to fit, finish, friction and tolorances." and yet you're to use the factory trigger assembly and bolt? JMO, but a bit of a waste just for "cool parts".

All this for less than a couple hundred bucks or the cost of a new plastic ruger.

Still gotta know if there's any actual data showing these "plastic Rugers" are as inferior as they're made out to be

In the end, it's certainly your choice and your money to spend but making it with a fancy part or two just to say you did is like buying a bunch of go-fast performance parts for your car and using just as a casual Sunday drive grocery getter.

With a new barrel and an improved hammer any 10/22 can perform incredibly well. Everything else is for the most part preferences and aesthetics. For me it was a priority to fix the bolt release after the barrel and hammer, and then the stock. When I was first beginning the process of building my 10/22 I also considered the aftermarket receiver. Then I realized that what I would be paying for was really no more than aesthetics and had very little to do with an increase in performance. So I simply bought a carbine 10/22 and stripped it for the receiver housing and the trigger group housing and saved myself a ton of money. If you think accuracy is in the slightest way effected by using a stock receiver, look no further than my "I can make Modern Art" thread in the general discussion.

For the most part I would say the aftermarket receivers are more of a status symbol that usually only the owner will notice, and the ability to say "nothing you see here is stock". It simply comes down to your budget and what you feel is more important in your build. All I can tell you is that I have never had a problem with my stock receiver or trigger group housing, and I have put thousands of rounds of ammunition through my gun. For me the aftermarket receivers were ruled out simply because of the price point. Why pay more for just a blank receiver than an entire gun? Even if you are just taking the receiver off you may as well get all the spare parts along with it for less money.

Dan

Dan you are right...

I considered purchasing a new Ruger for parts. However, My buddy just did that to get a receiver and parts to build a custom rifle. The new receivers are casted like the old except they are a very poor quality, made from a cheap sand casting. There are pits and small voids throughout the casting. The internal clean up is gritty at best. The entire trigger housing is plastic along with the trigger and mag release. Even the bolt is unfinished, it's a steel casting with basic machine work and very little polish to reduce friction. It looks like it came out of the mold, got rough machine cut and went through heat treating without further clean up. The barrel is a 3/8 steel tube with low grade aluminum cast around it. It is cut so rough you can even see the lathe (turning) tool bit lines in it. The stock is basic crap wood. It might as well be plastic or pine. The gun has been cheaponed so much there is no quailty left in the parts.

Different Note: I have done trigger work on dozens of old Ruger hammers and sears. I would put the pull, creap and crispness up against any KID or ValQ trigger assembly. The problem with Ruger Triggers (hammer and sear) is they have broaching machine marks in them causing a hard, gritty and dirty feel. Once you micro polish the marks out and cut the hammer grove sear slot to the correct hieght the trigger will eaqual any aftermarket assembly. I guess what I am saying is, an aftermarket receiver with quality parts is something that I would rather invest in than a new plastic and cheapend Ruger 10/22. Especially to build a rifle that will last the rest of my life and who ever I leave it as well. Lets face it guns are an investment. They always have been and will just increase in value if you have quality firearms.

I only had to decide if I wanted to purchase an 80% Receiver and enjoy completing the project myself (build from scratch) or spend 2 to 3 times that and buy a completed receiver and pay the 20 - 50 dollar FFL transfer fee to a local gun shop?

I only had to decide if I wanted to purchase an 80% Receiver and enjoy completing the project myself (build from scratch) or spend 2 to 3 times that and buy a completed receiver and pay the 20 - 50 dollar FFL transfer fee to a local gun shop?

Good Point, I hadn't factored the DIY Satisfaction ROI and transfer fees into my math.

heck, what are you looking for in a 150.00 gun.....all parts from high grade steel and polished, hand fitted??? I'm confused about rugers a bit. Have they not been casting quit a bit of everything they make for a long time?

Understand the DIY factor......I refinished a pistol for the first time $$$ and time spent I could have paid for a better job with less down time. BUT I did IT!
Its funny how we take things and go nutty

I purchased the RAZOR receiver from Select Fire http://www.ruger1022receiver.com . I must say that the quality and finish was beautiful. It came with an instructional sheet on what to do to finish it. A drawing that called out all hole locations and the correct drill to use for each hole. No machining is needed.

When I compare it to the factory Ruger receiver there is no comparison. It is a totally unique part that is going to look very cool in my new rifle. I think I'll have it anodized deep purple along with the matt Aluminum WhistlePig Barrel http://www.wpgbc.com/photos.htm I'm looking at. Now to decide on a Stock????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom