• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

About 40 guns stolen from Lowell home

serial numbers. thats how you trace the gun. If a family member passed it down to him, then the gun might be under his family members name, but it is still a legal gun.

If he moved here from another state, then when he applied for a license, they ask you if you had a license in another state, and the number.

anyways, it is bullshit that they revoked his license.

maybe we should all donate some money and get him a good lawyer to sue the state and the local PD. That would be money well spent in this state.

You do realize that nearly all states do not have 'gun registration' nor require a license for mere possession of firearm, right? The only possible record would be a 4473 at the dealer whom the firearm was purchased from and good luck finding out who that dealer was after a dozen or so private transfers.

You do realize that nearly all states do not have 'gun registration' nor require a license for mere possession of firearm, right? The only possible record would be a 4473 at the dealer whom the firearm was purchased from and good luck finding out who that dealer was after a dozen or so private transfers.

you are right. I keep forgetting. Been in MA for too long.

never mind what i said up there ^^ then

Can anybody tell me why it matters how he got the guns? If he can possess them legally, then what's the point? If someone breaks into your house and steals your watch collection do the police check the serial number of each stolen watch to see if you bought them from an authorized dealer?

serial numbers. thats how you trace the gun. If a family member passed it down to him, then the gun might be under his family members name, but it is still a legal gun.

You don't know much about how gun tracing actually works. There are tons of guns in MA that are in NO MA state computers. Conducting a federal trace is not typing some numbers in a computer, either. BATFE doesn't like conducting real traces without a bonafide reason, either. (They suck up a lot of staff time for them. ) Something like a guy serving a 209A is not a legit reason to conduct a full BATFE trace on a firearm.

-Mike

I can see these two things being related...the shooting on Grand St. Friday night, and the alleged "theft" of guns from Dublin St. reported on Monday. These locations and the two suspects' addresses are literally blocks apart.
Possibly, the two rifles used in the shooting were....."stolen"... from the Dublin St. house just last week, and their owner didn't realize it until Monday, whereupon he immediately reported it.

And why does the name "Gregory Girard" keep popping into my head?

Last edited:
Un-freakin'-believable. I hope the gun owner has Scrivener's number... I'd love to see Scriv sicced on the Lowell PD. That Kenneth Lavallee is a jackass. Wonder what he does to a rape victim?

You took the words right out of my mouth, Ross.
I'd love to see Keith ripping the Superintendent and 2nd one big enough to park a heavy battle tank inside.

If he moved here from another state, then when he applied for a license, they ask you if you had a license in another state, and the number.

anyways, it is bullshit that they revoked his license.

maybe we should all donate some money and get him a good lawyer to sue the state and the local PD. That would be money well spent in this state.

One, I have several guns that are so old, they don't have serial numbers. Two, let's say it's a grandfather's gun that was a war bring back...no paperwork. Let's say that it's a gun that was passed down from a grandfather...from when he was a little boy...no 4473. No paperwork.

And as Nick said...almost ALL other states only require a drivers license to purchace. So, there is no license or registration in other states to track.

If Jose and I were friends when I lived in Ohio...I could just drive over to his house, buy one of his guns and go home. No paperwork. No anything. Just cash and go. It's like that in the rest of the country.

You don't know much about how gun tracing actually works. There are tons of guns in MA that are in NO MA state computers. Conducting a federal trace is not typing some numbers in a computer, either. BATFE doesn't like conducting real traces without a bonafide reason, either. (They suck up a lot of staff time for them. ) Something like a guy serving a 209A is not a legit reason to conduct a full BATFE trace on a firearm.

-Mike

This. They have to first have the manufacture look up the serial number (if there is one to track) so they can figure out what dealer got it in the mail. Then, go through the dealers's books (provided they are still alive, in business, around, etc) to see who it was sold to. Find that person, and that's if they are still alive, around, etc...and then go from there. Like drgrant said, it's not simple to track a gun if it's from somewhere other than MA...and I'm sure that even in MA it's not giong to be easy. More so if they bought it before the big "blue card" flood.

Im guessing its someone he knows or someone who knows who he knows. If they are not ARs or evil looking firearms or handguns whats not easily sold will be in the bushes down the street.....maybe

Yes, you ARE guessing... unless you're involved with this? Tell me, what basis do you have for your "guess"? Does it have any basis in reality?

Why are there so many armchair quarterbacks here eager to blame the gun owner?

Can anybody tell me why it matters how he got the guns? If he can possess them legally, then what's the point?

So he can pretend to the public that this is actually a Good Thing that the guns were stolen because that way he'll have found an Illegal Gun Owner and gotten those Guns (that were actually locked in a VAULT!) "Off The Street".
sarcasm.gif

The COP there obviously hates gun owners - this is evident from the treatment that the gun owner got when he was the victim of the crime in the first place. So the COP is looking for ANY reason to screw the gun owner that he can find. Probably because the COP is an incompetent excuse for a chief and is looking to take the heat off of himself for the crime rate in his town.

I can see these two things being related...the shooting on Grand St. Friday night, and the alleged "theft" of guns from Dublin St. reported on Monday. These locations and the two suspects' addresses are literally blocks apart.
Possibly, the two rifles used in the shooting were....."stolen"... from the Dublin St. house just last week, and their owner didn't realize it until Monday, whereupon he immediately reported it.

Another Monday morning quarterback. Again, do you have any PROOF other than geographical proximity?

The only thing that would make a bit of sense is running an NCIC stolen gun check on each of the numbers - which is not much different than running a criminal record check on anyone the police encounter in an investigation.

And yes, reported stolen guns sometimes make it back home. I know of two cases where stolen 1911s made it back to the owner - on actually made it back to MA several years after the theft.

It appears that the chief knows the chances of recovering any of the guns in the short term, of of solving this crime, are slim so he is looking at the only possible target to see if there is anything that will stick.

I wrote an email to the reporter asking why the victim's firearms license was revoked. I am not holding my breath for an answer, but if I get one, I will post the gist of it here.

Update:
The guy had built a VAULT in his basement. Granted this could be a 'vault' in the sense that he had a 'cache' of weapons. But it seems as though they were secured properly.

"The owner of the property discovered that the cellar of his home had been broken into and that his home-built secure vault in the cellar area had been compromised."

Now here's the kicker. According to the article the police are going OUT OF THEIR WAY to find something to charge him with.

"Lowell Police are reviewing all aspects of state and federal gun laws to determine if there are any violations. The gunowner's Massachusetts license to carry a firearm was immediately revoked by Superintendent Kenneth Lavallee."

How about you stop wasting your time reviewing the state's gun laws and maybe...I don't know, go out and look for the guns?

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_17006977#ixzz1A6dmCdxb
A vault can be relatively easy to build in a basement if the person doing the construction has some basic masonry skills. The most expensive component would be the vault door. This case underscores the reasons why I have no interest in becoming an LTC holder and owning more than a very few firearms in this state. LTCs are much too easy for CLEOs and licensing officers to revoke at will. No thanks, I will stick with my "shall issue" FID for the five years that I have left until my retirement to the free state of Alabama.

Yes, you ARE guessing... unless you're involved with this? Tell me, what basis do you have for your "guess"? Does it have any basis in reality?

Why are there so many armchair quarterbacks here eager to blame the gun owner?

So he can pretend to the public that this is actually a Good Thing that the guns were stolen because that way he'll have found an Illegal Gun Owner and gotten those Guns (that were actually locked in a VAULT!) "Off The Street".
sarcasm.gif

The COP there obviously hates gun owners - this is evident from the treatment that the gun owner got when he was the victim of the crime in the first place. So the COP is looking for ANY reason to screw the gun owner that he can find. Probably because the COP is an incompetent excuse for a chief and is looking to take the heat off of himself for the crime rate in his town.

Another Monday morning quarterback. Again, do you have any PROOF other than geographical proximity?

This.

WTF is wrong with some of you people? This man got screwed 3 times here - first my the thief, then by the COP and then by the Sun. There IS no excuse for this. Period.

This.

WTF is wrong with some of you people? This man got screwed 3 times here - first my the thief, then by the COP and then by the Sun. There IS no excuse for this. Period.

This. For f--k's sake, I'm not even a MA resident and I'm outraged.
Anyone have contact with the guy? Maybe contact the COP for an official statement on why the victim is being treated like the criminal?

This case underscores the reasons why I have no interest in becoming an LTC holder and owning more than a very few firearms in this state. LTCs are much too easy for CLEOs and licensing officers to revoke at will. No thanks, I will stick with my "shall issue" FID for the five years that I have left until my retirement to the free state of Alabama.

FIDs can be revoked through PD blackmail/abuse too, so don't saunter around thinking you are immune from abuse just because you sucked for getting the crap license. If an anti gun CLEO wants to take your FID, he will do it. You are delusional if you believe otherwise.

-Mike

FIDs can be revoked through PD blackmail/abuse too, so don't saunter around thinking you are immune from abuse just because you sucked for getting the crap license. If an anti gun CLEO wants to take your FID, he will do it.

-Mike

This. The judges here won't punish them.

The "that his home-built secure vault in the cellar area had been compromised" statement would lead me to beleive this person may have a storage issue on their hands. This may answer the multitude of question raised here about closets and homes being storage containers. Probably if it aint in a safe or locked purpose made container it will be judged not stored properly. If you have thousands of dollars worth of firearms why would'nt you invest in a safe. The cost of the lawyer could be several safes and you would still have your toys. Not saying I agree with all the storage laws but just to keep the dirt bags from collecting my stuff this would make sense to me.
Good call on that.

What sucks is the gun owners are outnumbered by those that would side with the COP in MASS, at least it appears this way. The sheeple will say atta boy to the COP thereby giving him praise and embolden other COP to do similar to victims of 2A belief, and there is no help from the Matt Laurer media!!Hey wanna start another Revolution?

Hey, if you choose to live in an antigun state, and put lots of $ into a highly controversial type and number of guns, your indiscetion and lack of concern about your freedom/risk is quite likely to bite you in the butt. Why stay there, giving tax money to your enemies, hmm? Why have more than a minimal battery there? Why aint anything else cached elsewhere, or stored in another state.

Why are you even on this site? GO troll somewhere else.

This whole story is ridiculouly disturbing. I mean at this point whats to stop the COP in your city from pulling your LTC and taking your guns if someone breaks into your house and steals your TV and Xbox or something??

Last edited:
Updated Story

The firearms were kept in a home-built vault in the basement. Capt. Kelly Richardson said law-enforcement officials are investigating how the man's basement was violated.

"It was very, very secure," Richardson said. "Whoever broke into it had some time because it was so secure."

link to full article

For anyone who thinks they can help this unfortunate theft/abuse victim, lowellsun.com has now also printed his name, and his phone number is easy enough to find from there.

FIDs can be revoked through PD blackmail/abuse too, so don't saunter around thinking you are immune from abuse just because you sucked for getting the crap license. If an anti gun CLEO wants to take your FID, he will do it. You are delusional if you believe otherwise.

-Mike
Ultimately, it will be up to a court to decide on the FID and there would have to be a valid reason (209A, R.O, pending criminal charges, commitment for substance abuse, etc. that are also FEDERAL DQs). A CLEO can arbitrarily yank a LTC for no reason at all and that is what happened to that poor guy who had his guns stolen. I didn't "sucked for getting the crap license"; I got what I exactly what I needed for hunting and target shooting. I have a Class D driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement. I do not drive for a living, so I have no use for a Class A or B C.D.L. with all of the endorsements that professional truckers and bus drivers need. Why would having a lesser license be a handicap if my lifestyle doesn't require it?

Ultimately, it will be up to a court to decide on the FID and there would have to be a valid reason (209A, R.O, pending criminal charges, commitment for substance abuse, etc. that are also FEDERAL DQs). A CLEO can arbitrarily yank a LTC for no reason at all and that is what happened to that poor guy who had his guns stolen. I didn't "sucked for getting the crap license"; I got what I exactly what I needed for hunting and target shooting. I have a Class D driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement. I do not drive for a living, so I have no use for a Class A or B C.D.L. with all of the endorsements that professional truckers and bus drivers need. Why would having a lesser license be a handicap if my lifestyle doesn't require it?

[rolleyes] FUDD

Most neighbors did not answer their doors yesterday, but one woman said it was "creepy" that so many weapons had been housed nearby.

"Why in the hell would anybody have so many guns?" she asked.

That woman declined to give her name, citing gang members in the neighborhood.

I would like to know if she collects ANYTHING?? What should it matter what one collects? If she's got a curio of Hummel dolls...I would have gone NUTS on that lady.

That statement always drives me crazy. If I tell people that I collect Pint Glasses...no one cares...and people will actually somtimes give me one as a gift. But god forbid I tell people I collect Guns. Well...hell...that's just scary. [rolleyes]

Most neighbors did not answer their doors yesterday, but one woman said it was "creepy" that so many weapons had been housed nearby.
"Why in the hell would anybody have so many guns?" she asked.
That woman declined to give her name, citing gang members in the neighborhood.
"I don't want to get involved," she said. "I have three kids."

She doesn't want to get involved or give her name, but she is a neighbor of the man and has 3 kids. What a genius.

Why is the Lowell sun posting the victim's name and address all over the story, but not this nosy coward?

Back
Top Bottom