• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Abolish the NH State Handgun Background Check Requirement.

I recent was at a gun shop waiting for the "state" to return an answer for the purchase of a handgun.

It took over and hour to receive a call back from the state with and approval.

It wasn't a weekend, no gun shows were going on...just a normal work day. So what took them so long to run a simple check?

If you buy a long gun, gun shops use the Federal background checking system and the answer comes back within 10 minutes.

I was wondering about this NH background check department....

Why does it actually exist, when the majority of the other states just use the Federal system for long gun and hand gun back ground checks?

How many people actually work there and how much money does it cost to run this department annually?

From what I understand there is little accountability for them as to their performance and timeliness.

If gun shops calls them to ask about the status a check (after waiting a good bit of time), they get an attitude from the supervisor and sometimes the person is "delayed" because of the enquire.

I have heard theses stories from a number of gun shops!!!.

I wonder if it is time to try and get this NH background check requirement abolished and simply go though the Fed system!

What is the benefit of hiring and paying all these people to do a job that the Feds already do for free ( and much faster!)?

With a tight State budget, are there not many more important departments and programs that can use this money?

As I see it, this department and its performance is accountable to no one and if you complain about their service, you will pay a price in longer reply times and delays.

Your thoughts???

Why does it actually exist, when the majority of the other states just use the Federal system for long gun and hand gun back ground checks?

It was originally instituted to avoid the 3-day waiting period, I think. Not sure why it still exists.

I've only mentioned this about 48 times in these threads, but the system exists because NH was actually trying to, at the time, do a good thing- which was provide a bypass for the mandatory brady waiting period. So the NH NICS POC was basically a dirty hack to help citizens get handguns faster. Since that shit is now looooooong gone... the NICS POC has outlived its usefulness. It should have been repealed when the brady wait period thing went away, frankly.

What is the benefit of hiring and paying all these people to do a job that the Feds already do for free ( and much faster!)?

I would bet that "All these people" is probably like 3 people or less (which is why it gets backed up so easily) but I would still agree with you that it is as waste of resources.

-Mike

Did the shop call, or fax, it in? Last time I purchased a pistol, the shop faxed it in and the 'ok' took less than 10 minutes. Seems like where you went might need to learn the tricks to get the system to reply back faster.

Did the shop call, or fax, it in? Last time I purchased a pistol, the shop faxed it in and the 'ok' took less than 10 minutes. Seems like where you went might need to learn the tricks to get the system to reply back faster.

Actually at both places the information was faxed in to the State. I am sure there are more than 3 people working there ...heard there was 5 to 7 people that work at the office. I'm not sure if the office is open 24 hours a day, but I know they operate 7 days a week so I highly doubt that they only have 3 people working there.

Actually at both places the information was faxed in to the State. I am sure there are more than 3 people working there ...heard there was 5 to 7 people that work at the office. I'm not sure if the office is open 24 hours a day, but I know they operate 7 days a week so I highly doubt that they only have 3 people working there.

Maybe they just don't like you... [shocked] [laugh]

I've waited 45 minutes, and I've waited like 15 minutes. Bigger fish were just fried!!

There are more fish to fry, and this one is on the list.

Back
Top Bottom