• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AAR: Peterborough, NH - Feb. 19-20, 2011

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
The SB, Firewall99 is not feeling well at this time, but wanted me fill in what info I can for this AAR. He will add details when he feels better.

SUMMARY: We had a great shoot! Windy and cold! The shooters were a hardy bunch that wouldn't give up. Two out of seven shot Rifleman, despite the arduous conditions.

Shoot Boss: Firewall99
Instructors: Dakota, Andy in NH

Riflemen Made: 2
Riflemen Made Ratio: 28.5%

Day 1 Weather: Overcast, NW wind at 22mph (gusts to 36), high of 41*F.
Day 2 Weather: Partly cloudy, NW wind at 14mph (gusts to 24), high of 30*F.

The Monadnock Rod and Gun Club does not have a clubhouse. They do have a small kitchen (and some great cooks - Thanks Mark and Dave!) and a pavilion. From a safety and practical standpoint we needed a place to warm up and give classes. I was able to arrange the use of a Kifaru 24-man tipi to fulfill this need.

Due to the extreme weather conditions; high wind, high temperature (59*F), and loose snow pack on Friday, Firewall99 and myself found it too difficult to erect the big tipi by ourselves. Instead, we set up a smaller 8-man tipi to satisfy our safety and practical requirements. As it turned out, this was a good choice with regard to our low shooter turnout.

Dakota keeps an eye on the first day shooters.

P2191834.jpg

Firewall99 and Dakota explain the AQT.

P2191837.jpg

Firewall99 keeps the time during a drill. It was so windy we used blocks of wood to hold things down.

P2191836.jpg

Robert and Mike warm and out of the wind while listening to history.

DSCN3497.jpg

The high temperature the day before and the subsequent drop ensured that the range would be a frozen sheet of ice. One shooter took a pretty good fall and others had some near misses. Those without metal cleats on their boots walked gingerly.

DSCN3506.jpg

Robert - our day one Winter-seed Rifleman!

P2191840.jpg

Day Two.

Cindy, a repeat Apple-seeder, all bundled up on her quest for Rifleman.

P2201842.jpg

Rich and Louise take aim.

P2201847.jpg

Firewall99 helps Rich with the 'Best Friend Drill' after switching to an M1 Carbine.

P2201850.jpg

Cindy and Louise work the 'Best Friend Drill'.

P2201851.jpg

Rich earns his Winter-seed Rifleman patch!

P2201853.jpg

Back
Top Bottom