• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AAR: On Target Training - Defensive Carbine 1

Foreword: I apologize for my vagueness, grammatical mistakes and timeline hopping. I didn’t take notes therefore these are from memory.

AAR: On Target Training - Defensive Carbine 1

Who: Seth Wish of On Target Training

When: October 14, 2017

Where: Hosted by Shanbri Arms in Exeter, RI.

WX: Moderate rain, low 60°F

Attendance: 17 students of all ages and skill levels, Seth is the primary instructor and Daria Chase as the AI.

Course description from the source:

This carbine class will focus on defensive applications and fundamental skills for the AR 15 carbine. The event is appropriate for students who own an AR 15, practice firearms safety, and have a desire to learn.
Items needed:
  • Carbine (pistol carbines are also ok)
  • 5 Mags
  • Mag pouches
  • Sling (allowing muzzle down carry)
  • Handgun, holster, 2 mags

• Estimated round count 500 carbine and 100 pistol

About me: I don’t have much experience weapon handling and shooting, I’ve probably expended only 5k rounds in my lifetime. No real-world experience either. I just like to hold my gun when I watch 13 Hours.

Objective: Since I’m not a member at any ranges or clubs, I maximize the opportunity to shoot when courses like this are offered. It provides me the ability to stretch my legs a bit and apply weapon manipulation, movement and shooting styles that aren’t permitted at the majority of ranges in RI.

Gear used: All students were using an AR platform in rifle configuration, one on a pistol. There was one new rifle had serious malfunctions due to improper lubrication, I didn’t get the name of manufacturer. Lots of accessories were going down: Sun Options LPVO mount breaking, clamp-on FSB fell off a rifle, light mounts failing, ambi safety switches coming apart and magazine issues.

Round Count: I used about 400rds of XTAC 55gr 5.56, 34rds of 115gr 9mm.

I ran a 16” SR-15 on an Aimpoint H2 and Proctor 2-point sling without any hiccups. Sidearm was Glock 19 Gen 3 with an RMR.

Gear loadout consisted of a Ronin Tactics PC with SKD Level IV plates, 3 magazines, Spiritus Systems SACK pouch and a Grey Ghost Gear slim IFAK. Propper 1.75” riggers belt with a Glock kydex holster, 2x HSGI taco pistol magazine pouches, 1x kydex AR magazine carrier and a Lunar Concepts SwiftTQ carrier.

Training:

The class broke off in two squads, 8 students in one and 9 in the other. Seth began the class with a quick safety brief followed by a quick zero confirmation.

We warmed up at 7 yards and went back to the 50 yard line shooting steel before lunch break.
Seth encouraged speeding up the cadence as the repetition for each drill increases while accounting for accuracy.

Seth preached doing what works for you as long as it is efficient and within your workspace. He demonstrated a few methods of ready positions and encouraged students to apply variations throughout the day for each drill. There was a huge emphasis to break student’s bad range safety habits or outdated training scars.

The transitions to handgun was very brief with only two drills, something I appreciate because this is mainly a rifle class.

Target transitions were covered on paper and steel out at distance.

No movement was covered in this course.

Furthest distance we shot was 50 yards.

The tempo of the course was smooth, the very little downtime was spent jamming magazines and learning from instructions to other students on the other squad.

I recommend bringing more magazines than advised so you can spend less time fumbling to jam magazines. Your downtime would be better spent focusing more on instruction, learning from other students from the other squad shooting their drills and reflecting on what you just learned to apply the necessary modifications for the rest of the day.

This is my second course with On Target Training. Seth’s material teaches a realistic approach to using your gun, nothing fancy. He’ll get loud and on your case during drills, inducing welcomed stress. He made a point to halt the course to explain and demonstrate of to address a malfunctioning piece of equipment equipment; his explanations weren’t degrading (although I could care less about hurt feelings). Both Seth and Daria were very accommodating for those with physical limitations.

Don’t let the “level 1” title fool you, we are at the walking phase at this point. You should know how to perform the basics weapon manipulation and getting your rounds on paper at the least.

Lots of students running weird gear and loadouts, I hope they were able to assess and sort out a more streamlined/useful setup to their needs. Make sure you don't look like a walking lookbook for Condor with 12 magazines sagging from your belt, run gear that is applicable to your use.

Overall, I received exactly what I wanted out of the course: affirmation of my current abilities and gear. The rain made the conditions even better for me to test the gear out. The course confirmed that shooting requires trigger time more than once a year; especially remembering holdovers for your configuration and round type. I really struggled in that department.

37699085081_2db0183642_b.jpg

37666582782_5c0f595b40_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom