Red-Dot Pistol (RDP)
April 25, 2021, KEENE NH
AAR

Instructor: Don Edwards
Weather: Cloudy light rain. 45-52
Location: Cheshire County Shooting Sports Education Foundation, Keene, NH
Round Count: (day 2) 350 +/-

---

This is a two-day class and Don was nice enough to allow me to jump in on day two. I was unable to make day one. I had taken a few red dot classes and the hosting instructor went to bat for me saying if I missed day one I would not fall behind.

I was told that on day one there was a lot of theory, history, and relevant talk about the red dot on pistols. How to locate the dot, be threat-focused, drawing the pistol, and seeing the dot by looking at the rear of the window while threat-focused, and zeroing.

On day two Don gave me quick 10-minute catchup hitting all the high spots that he wanted to make sure I understood. He asked me what I was shooting, which dot I had, and what distance I was zeroed at. M&P, Holosun HE507CGRX2, 15 yards.

We started off at the 15 yards into B8’s 10 rounds to get us warmed and to see if what was learned on day one sunk in. We scored the targets and then moved back to 25 yards. I did well on the 15 (97), and less well on the 25 (81). My 25-yard game needs work!

We kept moving from the 7, 10, 15, and then back to the 25 shooting on B8’s, a fresh target each iteration so we could be held accountable. We did single shots and then random multiple shots working on our recoil control and trying to get as many quality hits as fast as we could shoot them. Don encouraged us to push ourselves and find where our limit was and then we were to back off.

After lunch, we did two things that I have not done in any other red dot class. Don had us turn off our dot and either use our backup iron sights or use the housing as a reference point. We ran a number of mags into B8s that way. Finding out where the holds needed to be at certain distances from the target. After we turned our dot back on Don came around and sprayed water all over our dot soaking it, simulating a massive rainstorm. We had to work around all the water issues as we shot random amounts into the B8s. That was not an issue for me, I had done a lot of shooting in the rain with a dot so I knew what to expect. That was great!

We changed out the B8s to more of a self-defense type of target and we ran multiple target drills pushing the speed and first shot as fast as we could make the hits. Those drills were good and fun.

A few gear observations:

There were two SIG P365 with Romeo Zeros. One of the optics failed and the other had zeroing issues during the class. I had broken two of them myself last year. The Holosuns in the class worked well, Don was lending out a G17 Boresight Solutions with a T1 Micro that rocked, the Aimpoint ran flawlessly, and the SIG Romeo Pro worked well.
The P365 is a small gun that students had issues with past 10 yards and with the small-sized grip, it was uncomfortable for a two-day class. The students having difficulties were encouraged to swap their small guns out for a full-sized gun so they could get the concepts and techniques down and understand how to use the red-dot correctly without getting frustrated with their performance.

Don is a very likable instructor that is low-key, soft-spoken, approachable, and knows his trade very well. He likes to engage the students in conversations about skills, gear, and life. In a sea of hyped-up instructors, Don stands out as a true quiet professional. I dug his style and will absolutely be taking more of his classes when he comes back to the North East.

Back
Top Bottom