• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A1 stock for builds.

mac1911

NES Member
I dont know if anyone is interested but I had a heck of a time finding a A1 stock for my service rifle upper. compasslake engineering has some for 45.00+ shipping comes with mounting screws and sling swivel. I have only found a few A1 stocks for sale and either they have been stripped or come with buffer/spring/tube wich I dont need.
http://www.compasslake.com/

Thats surprising they are so rare now. Several years ago people couldn't give them away. I'd seen boxes of used ones before at gunshows with $1 to $5 price tags on them.

Just goes to show that almost any parts for any gun have value at some point in time.

yes fulton armory has used stripped ones for 5-10 bucks. Then you need the rest. New fulton has them for 49.95 complete minus tube ect ect.

Is this just the stock? What about the front triangular handguards?

Just like an old Prime computer board, drive, memory, or some other part; they are worth crap until somebody needs one.

Are we talking AR stocks? I have a new one collecting dust on the shelf; I prefer the Ace stock.

Just make sure the one you are buying has the trap door. They made two types of A1's. One with and one without.

yep they dont grip for shit, wouldnt mind swapping it for an A2

The later A1 stock uses an identical trapdoor buttplate to the A2, so if you can track one down you can keep the same length. The current commercial A1 I saw was dimensionally identical to a milspec trapdoor A1, but was made out of a different plastic. Not as strong, but certainly strong enough.

I took this one of a Colt SP1 from 1977, if anyone is interested make me an offer. Sold

Attachments

• DSCN1518.jpg
    DSCN1518.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1519.jpg
    DSCN1519.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN1520.jpg
    DSCN1520.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I'm interested too.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

It seems, other people have found the 1 inch shorter length has some benefits. I use to pick up the A1s for $10. The only 1 I could find at Wilmington show was priced $60!!! Stock alone, no hand guards..

Try white oak armory also......the shorter stock helps me get right up to the rear sight. Especially with my shooting coat on and in standing position. Now I just need to take the time to form a weight for cleaning kit area. Its a bit unbalanced with the heavy front end of my RRA national match model.

What are the differences between an A1 and an A2 stock?

I just put in an order last night for a PWS upper in 7.62x39 - now I might finally get to use up one of those AR lowers I bought a couple of years back. Gotta find the rest of the parts first - and the stock is one of the first on the list.

Primary difference is length - A1 is IIRC 5/8" shorter than an A2. You don't need the spacer on the buffer tube, and the A1 has a different screw length into the tube than an A2.

Early original A1 stocks don't have the trapdoor buttplate, and have a narrow, slippery, plastic buttplate that I can't recommend. Later A1 kept the same length with the same trapdoor buttplate as the A2, and are my favorite fixed stock.

Fulton sells a decent commercial copy of the A1. Maybe not as tough a stock as the original Colts, but tough enough.

Late A1; A2; A1 commercial

16731.JPG

Early A1

IMG_2848.jpg

Last edited:
Its a tad shorter but makes a big difference. I could not get tight to the rear peep in the standing posistion with my shooting coat on. I like my nose right tight with chargeing handle.

I have pretty long arms, so maybe the A2 would be better. Does that sound right?

Probably. It actually has a little more to do with neck length and if you are stretching yours to get to the rear sight, but long necks usually go with long arms.

Coyote33 said:
Thanks.

Those are not exactly the "surplus" prices I was expecting. But thank you just the same.

Yeah, somehow that stuff turned into "collector's items" and was marked up accordingly.

I got my A1 stock from Numrich.com

Edit: just checked. Still got em. $22 each with the trap door. They are used stocks, so I junked the butt end and bought a new one.

I had to wetsand the stock, but overall pleased with the end result

47c046da-e449-51e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is that a good way to clean up the finish on these? I have one with some sort of expoy on it, but wasn't sure how to clean it. I was thinking alcohol, then acetone, then toluolene. That is my usual order of solvent application. If wet sanding works, I might prefer that to the fumes.

Back
Top Bottom