• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A WW2 story

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Every Wednesday I take my 88 yo Dad out to lunch for a 'Happy Hamburger" as he calls it.

Last week he surprised me by telling me a story about a day in his life as an infantryman in France in July 1944.

His position had been overrun, he shared a foxhole with a guy. In the middle of the action, a German came up from behind, shot his foxhole mate and pointed the gun at him but didn't shoot. He was taken prisoner, and was force marched along a road going to somewhere German. During the walk, an American plane came overhead and strafed the road. With all the confusion, he managed to duck into the woods and escape...unarmed of course.

As he tried to find his way back to his unit, he saw a little white farm house with a nearby barn. As he approached the barn, he saw three German rifles stacked in a triangle outside the door. "Oh, shit" was his thought of the moment.

Before he could do anything, 3 Germans came out of the barn, and saw him. They did not go towards the rifles, but one pulled a 'potato masher' off of his belt, pulled the pin and threw it towards my Dad. He said all he could think of doing was hitting the dirt and hope that he wasn't hit too badly. As he lay there, the grenade fizzled out..a dud.

When he realized he wasn't going to blow up, he looked up and saw the three Germans advancing towards him with their hands raised in surrender ! He wasn't even armed.

He got up, looked at them and waved them off, pointing towards the road. They went towards the road, looked back and saw my Dad waving to them telling them to keep going. He sent them away. He said he was in no position to take prisoners as he didn't even know where he was or which way to go to get 'home'...and he was unarmed. He said he never thought of taking the stacked rifles.

I asked him if he thought the German soldiers were actually Poles as the Polish were 'recruited' into the Army and didn't want to be there.

He said he never thought of that but it was a possibility.

First the foxhole shooting where he was no hurt, then the 'surrender'. What a weird day, he said.

He was 18.

Last edited:
That's an awesome story and it's great your dad finally shared it with you.

Enjoy the stories he's willing to share.

My dad told many stories, but they were mostly "funny", though some did have a bit of gruesomeness ("I found a nice German army boot - but there was a German leg in it, so I put it back.").

He was "Over there" but was an Armorer, and not supposed to be closer than seven miles - though that was a theory - from the front.

I'm sure that there was a lot of stuff that happened over there, that stayed over there.

Thanks for sharing.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

The guy in the foxhole who was shot. Those who die probably never know what happens after. They aren't here to see. For all they know the events that killed them led to world coming to an end soon after they died.

They probably don't know we are repeating mistakes and giving our liberty to other human beings.

Every Wednesday I take my 88 yo Dad out to lunch for a 'Happy Hamburger" as he calls it.

Last week he surprised me by telling me a story about a day in his life as an infantryman in France in July 1944.

His position had been overrun, he shared a foxhole with a guy. In the middle of the action, a German came up from behind, shot his foxhole mate and pointed the gun at him but didn't shoot. He was taken prisoner, and was force marched along a road going to somewhere German. During the walk, an American plane came overhead and strafed the road. With all the confusion, he managed to duck into the woods and escape...unarmed of course.

As he tried to find his way back to his unit, he saw a little white farm house with a nearby barn. As he approached the barn, he saw three German rifles stacked in a triangle outside the door. "Oh, shit" was his thought of the moment.

Before he could do anything, 3 Germans came out of the barn, and saw him. They did not go towards the rifles, but one pulled a 'potato masher' off of his belt, pulled the pin and threw it towards my Dad. He said all he could think of doing was hitting the dirt and hope that he wasn't hit too badly. As he lay there, the grenade fizzled out..a dud.

When he realized he wasn't going to blow up, he looked up and saw the three Germans advancing towards him with their hands raised in surrender ! He wasn't even armed.

He got up, looked at them and waved them off, pointing towards the road. They went towards the road, looked back and saw my Dad waving to them telling them to keep going. He sent them away. He said he was in no position to take prisoners as he didn't even know where he was or which way to go to get 'home'...and he was unarmed. He said he never thought of taking the stacked rifles.

I asked him if he thought the German soldiers were actually Poles as the Polish were 'recruited' into the Army and didn't want to be there.

He said he never thought of that but it was a possibility.

First the foxhole shooting where he was no hurt, then the 'surrender'. What a weird day, he said.

He was 18.

Great story... there is nothing like when they open up a little to you to share such heroic and horrific stories...

Before my Grandfather passed he let us in about the battle for Iwo...

You feel so much closer to them

thanks Pilgrim...that was a great read on here, nice change from all the usual BS and Political/gun grabbing stuff posted....His story was pretty miraculous...Im not a very religious guy but someone was looking out for him that day. Cherish all the time you can with him. It was and is the greatest generation of people, to me anyway. thanks again brother

I love hearing my father's stories of Korea, but he isn't to forthcoming with them.
It usually takes a few beverages and a lot of prodding on a hunting or fishing trip to get anything out of him. I can only imagine what it was really like as I know he is holding back quite a bit.

Some of the "meekest" old guys were not so meek, when they were not so old.

One guy I worked with in the Car business, one frigid night told a story of being in a foxhole in Korea one frigid night, sharpening his bayonet, when a huge weight landed on him, and he was covered in blood. "A Chinaman fell on me, and stabbed himself on my bayonet."

A friend's dad, another meek-ish guy told a quick story about the Nazis stopping coming over the hill after a while....because of the BAR he was carrying.

Talk to the oldsters. Some need to tell the stories, and are running out of time to do so.

A few years back, I was at the PD for LTC renewal, and a Old Guy with a WWII VET hat on was sitting there. "Thanks," I said, gesturing to his hat. He immediately told me a story- he and another guy switched seats on a tank, out of boredom, and five minutes later the other guy was gone. It still bothered him. I like to think that telling the story, helped.

One fellow I worked with told me of the many miseries American Soldiers had in Italy. Every once in a great while they were allowed to have their clothing deloused. Everyone was required to toss everything in a pile. It was all deloused. Then they tossed you a Shirt and a Pair of Pants. There was no effort at all to assure they were yours, or even they were the right size. You were expected to sort all that out among yourselves. I'm certain this was a minor matter, as most soldiers kept the things that really bothered them a secret to the grave.

Back
Top Bottom