• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A Word on The NRA

Old Rover

NES Member
Hi All , I just became a life member and was very depressed when I read All the Negative Comments regarding the NRA in the thread about Voting for JIM Wallace for the NRA Board .
The NRA is the Only National Gun Rights Organization we have . Sure the have had some issues but I don’t believe them all .Things will get better ,Give them a chance they are all we have.
We have to stick with them through thick and thin . I am just a concerned gun owner , but we have to Stick Together.
The Only Other Large Organization is the ANTIGUN Democrat Party whom has endless amounts of Money trying to take away The Second Amendment . WHEN YOU BADMOUTH THE NRA YOU BECOME A. MOUTHPIECE for the DEMOCRATIC PARTY ! That’s the SAME THING THEY DO ! Strength in numbers ! Thanks

Get rid of WLP, they gave him a 57% raise to something like 2.5 MILLION bucks a year ! For what? Another safari?
they haven't done squat for MA, they interfeared in NH, IIRC they delayed constitutional carry here, if not I'm done paying for fancy suits and vacations. GOA & NHFC gets my $$$.

I can understand the frustration, considering it seems like the left has a more united front some days, but what do you expect people to do? There are clearly some big problems with the NRA, and how else do you hold their feet to the fire besides money? It seems to be the only thing they are concerned about.

GOA is a national gun rights group and they haven't supported any gun control as far as I know, unlike the NRA which has. As others have said Wayne has to go along with any others that would enrich themselves while selling us out.

I will have to Check them out , I don’t spend much time on the internet. Also there no rules against belonging to more than One Rights organization. I do.

The NRA are way too conciliatory for my liking.

That’s their legacy, negotiating away our rights little by little (and sometimes in big chunks). People need to learn their history. Even old people.

Oh, and they also have the world’s worst marketing team, which is especially bad because they’re: (a) prolific spammers; and (b) a bloated, lumbering target for the antis that purports to speak for all American gun owners.

Last edited:
I am an Endowment Member and have been for years, but I have not sent them a dime since that moron Hoenwater (Spelling) came here to New Hampshire and stuck his nose in our Constitutional Carry Bill. That caused the bill to get held up for several years. He is still employed by NRA. He and Wayne have got to go!!

I guess you say about anything to justify the out lay of cash to be a life member....Me, until the NRA can get it's shit together I'm sticking with the local organizations GOAL, COMM2A etc. it at the moment is better money spent. Things change down the line I may reconsider. Opinions may vary.

I like most people on this forum belong to the NRA.
I support their firearm safety and their youth programs.
But I have issue with the lavish spending that makes the organization seem like a personal bank account for those running it.
I work hard for what I earn and squandering my donation away does not sit well with me!

I wish they would stop what seems like apologizing for every shooting they had nothing to do with.

They should be exposing more of the political hipocrisy that is used to strip away our rights.
They need to voice more often that law abiding citizens do not murder other people with firearms.
No more side deals that slowly strip away our rights and stand firm in what our constitution states!

Wayne needs to GO!

Last edited:
I really don't care about the NRA and truly believe that they have no interest in solidifying the Second Amendment and gun rights in general for individuals. Where were they when the Federal AWB expired and Massachusetts kept it alive? Where were they when the Massachusetts AG banned the dealer sale of AR-15 and other rifles, and left that "guidance" open ended for future modification? Where was the team of lawyers challenging this ruling the day it happened?

The NRA is a money making enterprise. If they solved our gun rights problems they would be out of business. NRA bigwigs enjoy a lavish lifestyle and talk a good game, but do next to nothing on the front lines in states like Massachusetts. I'm thrilled that the NRA has a powerful lobby and influences politics in Washington. That doesn't help me here in Massachusetts, nor does it help California, New York, Maryland, or any other firearm-unfriendly state. It seems to me that they forgot that the N stands for NATIONAL.

Chris

Last edited:
There are a lot of strong arguments here. To summarize:

Wayne spends money lavishly, his income, which comes from members.
Many say his compensation is too much - but is it?
Taking the skinflint approach here is sure path to failure.

What we should be focused on is NOT the $$$, but being successful, at any cost.

Is the NRA making a difference? The answer is undoubtedly 'yes'.
Could they do more? Undoubtedly, yes.

Support them. Support GOA. Support SAF, and NAGF.
They all do a lot of good.

Wayne is 70 years old, he will retire (or expire) soon. If you don't like him, rest assured there will be new leadership one way or the other.
Don't forsake all of the rest of us.
Do your part.

If Jack was here right now he would label this as post 562. I’ll call it 9/16 for short.

When Wayne is gone I’ll come back.
For now it’s:
Comm 2A (Amazon Smile)
GOAL
GOA
SAM
Gun Owners Of Maine.

Wayne spends money lavishly, his income, which comes from members.
Many say his compensation is too much - but is it?
Taking the skinflint approach here is sure path to failure.

I have no problem with CEOs of large corporations and organizations making big money. (Screw you Bernie and Elizabeth). I DO have a problem when those CEOs forget their shareholders or constituents. Wayne LaPierre and the NRA are like Jessie Jackson and the NAACP. If either organization fulfilled their mission, they would have no further reason to exist and would go out of business. Does the NRA really want that? This is above and beyond their abandonment of Massachusetts. I can not forgive their lack of action as law abiding firearm owners here in the Commonwealth have seen our rights slowly (and sometimes very quickly) eroded over the years.

Chris

There are a lot of stocks in the market and I have limited cash. Why would I blow it on a blatantly mismanaged fund or company when there are so many good options? Any that stop giving a return deserve to fold.

Wayne is 70 years old, he will retire (or expire) soon. If you don't like him, rest assured there will be new leadership one way or the other.

Letting someone like Wayne rise to or stay in the top suggests systemic illness. I'm not convinced Wayne's one-day successor is going to suddenly turn everything around. That joker must prove he's not part of the same disease.

Back
Top Bottom