• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A woman just graduated the US Army’s sniper school for the first time ever

Reptile

NES Member
"The soldier met every standard ... We are proud of the results of her efforts."

A Montana Army National Guard soldier is the first woman ever to graduate from the Army’s intensive, seven-week sniper course.

Not a shocker to me.

I knew a number of graduates of those courses (SOTIC and SAFARTIC; the reporting is unclear which she went to, and those might be obsolete anyway). Without exception, those sniper-qualified people I knew were physically slight, calm, thoughtful, and deliberate. I’m surprised it took this long for a woman to get through.

Snipers are, by and large, not bloodthirsty Rambos. They are quiet professionals.

"The soldier met every standard ... We are proud of the results of her efforts."

A Montana Army National Guard soldier is the first woman ever to graduate from the Army’s intensive, seven-week sniper course.

They should not be making any distinction between male/female/trans/bi or what ever.
Should simply be just another sniper graduate. Congrats sniper

Oh for the most part most women I have seen especially beginers shoot better than men at the same “level”
I would really like the shooting sports to wake up and all the classifications that have anything to do with sex male female bisexual try trans whatever you wanna call it and just the shooters. I think the only difference in any classification when it comes to the shooting sports should be possibly age. Then at that point the only classification should be a skill level determined by whatever you’re competing in

"Maj. Gen. J. Peter Hronek, the Adjutant General of Montana, said in the release that the soldier “had to volunteer several times to reach this goal, which is a demonstration of her dedication and commitment to service.” "

So... not a first (or 2nd) attempt pass in sniper school? How many times can a person go to sniper school?

"Maj. Gen. J. Peter Hronek, the Adjutant General of Montana, said in the release that the soldier “had to volunteer several times to reach this goal, which is a demonstration of her dedication and commitment to service.” "

So... not a first (or 2nd) attempt pass in sniper school? How many times can a person go to sniper school?
Like I implied above, there are (or used to be, anyway) a number of different courses that civilians would call “sniper school.”

From serving with some graduates, these are not generally courses with high recycle rates. They’re not stress courses, and there are few injuries. They featured a lot of classwork.

He means she volunteered to enlist, to go OSUT, and to go to Sniper. It’s a common formulation in the Army; back in The Day, paratroopers in the 82d were told they “volunteered three times,” meaning they were super-duper-cool.

Once to enlist, again to go airborne, the third time to go to Division.

I applaud the accomplishment as I would for anyone that made this effort for our America. Don’t think it needs to be gender specific.
Good friend of mine is a female welder that gets dam offended when you reference her ability by gender

From serving with some graduates, these are not generally courses with high recycle rates. They’re not stress courses, and there are few injuries. They featured a lot of classwork.

Once to enlist, again to go airborne, the third time to go to Division.
The “volunteer three times” thing is for Rangers or SF. 82nd dudes only volunteer twice. Airborne and the division are synonymous as far as volunteering goes.

But yeah, not high washout rates as far as physicality goes for Army sniper school. Overall I haven’t been too impressed with the Army sniper graduates. Some real good fit thinkers, but also a good number of “bros” who got into section due to popularity but couldn’t tell you the difference between first focal plane vs second focal plane. Let alone any real understanding of external ballistics. There was really no consistency. But I’m sure SOTIC (now Special Forces Sniper Course or SFSC) are higher caliber though.

8cfab3bc0656c8c52e9246c8d9a689ea.jpg

The service record of female Soviet and Israeli snipers speaks for itself. The only disadvantage female snipers have that men don't is the scent detection issue from having periods.
Here are but two examples to bolster your position
Lyudmila Pavlechenko ..
Dr. Ruth Westheimer ..

She attended once, volunteering doesn’t mean you’re selected.

Dr. Ruth claims to never have killed anyone. The shrapnel that ended her career indicates otherwise.

Not that I could ever pass that school, but makes me jealous of all the schools people seem to be able to get into now. I was offered literally zero schools and neither was any of my company

Some schools are easier to get than others. Definitely easier in the Guard than it was SMCR. Sniper seems to be reserved for those already in those platoons though. The Guard also runs their own parallel course for a lot of army courses, including sniper. This is given the sheer size of the Guard.

The service record of female Soviet and Israeli snipers speaks for itself. The only disadvantage female snipers have that men don't is the scent detection issue from having periods.
Please, elaborate.

[popcorn]

Some schools are easier to get than others. Definitely easier in the Guard than it was SMCR. Sniper seems to be reserved for those already in those platoons though. The Guard also runs their own parallel course for a lot of army courses, including sniper. This is given the sheer size of the Guard.
I was offered none. Zero.

Sure, I wasn't exactly a trail blazer and I was definitely a high up in the E4 mafia. That said, I was maxing PT tests and I could shoot reasonably well most days by army standards.

Schools just weren't a thing. At the time, the Cape was running Air Assault. Great! we all thought. Wrong. My entire battalion got about 5 slots. I believe 3 washed out (and they were oddball choices and not the MOS of the actual battalion).

As a combat engineer, you figure sapper school would be a nice thing to go to. Zero people, and I mean zero people went to sapper school during my 6 years. We had ONE person who was prior service who went to sapper school in the entire battalion.

Fast forward to the mid 2010's, 10-15 years later and by the looks of people in now sapper school is definitely an option. as is airassualt, etc. All that shit is now a thing. I know a guy who recently went to sapper school whose not even f***ing MOS Q'd as a combat engineer. [rofl]

it just wasn't when I was in. we had zero slots, and in the ultra rare cases where a slot did pop up, it was turned into a kickback or a favor.

in the ultra rare cases where a slot did pop up, it was turned into a kickback or a favor.

I saw some of this in Division, too. And we got ALL the school slots the BC wanted.

Strangely enough, almost every school was easy to get from there except Air Assault. But a huge number of paratroopers know how to slingload anyway, so it was never a big deal. Pathfinder was hard to find, too, but that had more to do with the size of the school. What slots there were, did usually go to Division.

Please, elaborate.

[popcorn]
Snipers in the field when being hunted by dogs have to disguise their body odor to the point that they have to bag & bury their waste fluids to avoid a detectible scent trail. This is more difficult for women than men due to not having a tube to urinate into packets and potentially having bloody products to dispose of.

The Soviet female snipers are the most famous, and there have been several Israeli & Kurdish women snipers with impressive records.

I saw some of this in Division, too. And we got ALL the school slots the BC wanted.

Strangely enough, almost every school was easy to get from there except Air Assault. But a huge number of paratroopers know how to slingload anyway, so it was never a big deal. Pathfinder was hard to find, too, but that had more to do with the size of the school. What slots there were, did usually go to Division.
I think I saw 3 pathfinders over my years. I saw 1 Presidents Hundred and 1 scuba bubble so I'd consider pathfinder to be pretty rare also...

I think I saw 3 pathfinders over my years. I saw 1 Presidents Hundred and 1 scuba bubble so I'd consider pathfinder to be pretty rare also...

Never saw a Presidents Hundred, but I knew an Unknown Tomb Guard once. Interesting guy.

Back
Top Bottom