A woman died when her idiotic friend cleaned his gun.

kurtb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Is this supposed to say "cleared" his gun? Doesnt look like anyone was cleaning anything.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Meh. Accidents happen.

I’ve been almost seriously killed or moderately maimed more times with cars and tools than guns.

Not saying not to be safe. But we go mental about gun safety and eat our own in a moment of being human.

All I want is for people to have the same level of care about the guy who was crushed by a car doing a two second job without jack stands as they do an accidental shooting.

FormerlyIndifferent

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fencer

[angry]

snax

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
As much as people bitch about right to bear...
No excuse not to take a course whether required or not.
One where you actually touch and fire several different guns too.
My wife took a 'safety' course which consisted of nothing more than the NRA safety guidelines. They didn't touch or even get shown a weapon. Didn't even look at a diagram depicting the various parts of a gun.
I told her to tell them I wanted my money back.
I should have vetted the course first...

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
As much as people bitch about right to bear...
No excuse not to take a course whether required or not.
One where you actually touch and fire several different guns too.
My wife took a 'safety' course which consisted of nothing more than the NRA safety guidelines. They didn't touch or even get shown a weapon. Didn't even look at a diagram depicting the various parts of a gun.
I told her to tell them I wanted my money back.
I should have vetted the course first...

My daughter (29) recently took her required safety course at Mass Firearms. She moved back from Seattle to Boston about a year ago. I was surprised that there was no live fire included with the course, and am pretty sure there always was, pre covid. I have to give them a pass due to the virus, but she was kinda pissed.
She was brought up around firearms and firearms safety, and has been shooting with me since she was 12, so in her case, it was kind of a formality, but for others that have never been near a firearm, it is more serious.

To be clear, I don't blame MFS for this. It just illustrates that the state really doesn't GAF and it is just a money grab and obstacle to essentially harass potential gun owners.
I am not a fan of .gov mandated anything. Yes, I think every gun owner should receive safety training, but making sure an applicant knows basic safety could be accomplished with a few questions on the application. Yes, my daughter recieved her certificate. but she said she didn't learn anything new and learned far more from me since she was a kid.

Kevin 103

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I hate these tragic videos, but watch them every time.
Cheap lesson and great safety reminder for everyone. Thanks for posting it.

looser38

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
^^^^^^^ This exactly!!!!
Straight up, good old fashioned parenting is more effective, and more valuable than any .gov mandated course, any day of the week.
I'd be willing to bet that moron in the video is probably "educated" and probably took one of those mandated courses, lotta good that did, jeesh.
And the innocent victim of his carelessness, hope she's ok.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Not saying not to be safe. But we go mental about gun safety and eat our own in a moment of being human.
Saying this was an "accident" is like saying something like- "Well, ya know, m e and my friend were playing around with a live grenade with the pin pulled out and tossing it
back and forth.. my friend caught it, and it blew up in his face and he's dead. It was just an accident. "

Or another way of putting it, this is about as much of an accident as a guy saying "I wonder what would happen if I drove down the wrong side of the highway at 100 mph with my lights off in the middle of the night" ....

I can't think of too many things where unintentional injury/death happened where there wasn't a greater, imminently proximate, gross level of negligence, on a scale of 1 to 100, this is 100 being the worst.

All I want is for people to have the same level of care about the guy who was crushed by a car doing a two second job without jack stands as they do an accidental shooting.
I agree with you on the memetic front on this stuff, at least WRT the victims.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That's her own damn fault.... one person per bay fora reason.

That said finger off the trigger man. And keep it down range but still she shouldn't have been in there with him

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saying this was an "accident" is like saying something like- "Well, ya know, m e and my friend were playing around with a live grenade with the pin pulled out and tossing it
back and forth.. my friend caught it, and it blew up in his face and he's dead. It was just an accident. "

Or another way of putting it, this is about as much of an accident as a guy saying "I wonder what would happen if I drove down the wrong side of the highway at 100 mph with my lights off in the middle of the night" ....

I can't think of too many things where unintentional injury/death happened where there wasn't a greater, imminently proximate, gross level of negligence, on a scale of 1 to 100, this is 100 being the worst.

I agree with you on the memetic front on this stuff, at least WRT the victims.
I agree--this no longer qualifies as an accident. There are at least 4 cardinal rules broken here that point to gross negligence:
  • Not pointed down range
  • Flagging
  • Didn't check clear
  • Trigger pressed while all of the above

Top Bottom