A way to make gun free zones more safe

I heard people before talk about arming teachers in schools to help deter school shooting and/or stop them quickly before there is a substantial loss of life. There are alot of obvious cons to doing this, like the teachers not be trained to distinguish friend from foe as well as a police officer and might mistakenly shoot a unarmed student. Thats when i was thinking why don't they just put a taser in each classroom or in each hall like they would a fire extinguisher or a defibrillator? This way there would be no concern for injury from a non lethal device, but will give that precious time to incapacitate and unarm the threat. Also, have the same penalty for misuse of the taser like you would if some one pulled a fire alarm when there is no emergency. Any thought to why this would be a bad Idea?

Last edited:
I have a better idea. Abolish "gun free" zones. There's no such thing. Somebody has a gun somewhere. And the bad guys don't give a rats @$$ about what the rules are.

I admire your out of the box thinking on this one but i see several problem. It can be stolen, by teacher, student, or anyone that sees it and says OOh something shiny. The Libs would have a field day with that. Like every other non-lethal out there, you need a license, at least to purchase and carry, as well as to be properly trained on it. And if a disgruntled student did have an "out" with a teacher, they would have the capacity to act on their aggresion. Do you think a student who would act on doing that, would care if he got expelled? I certainly don't think so. But like I said, I do applaude your idea. Might just need refining.

So many reasons not to have one that is easily accessible. If the teacher wants to carry one that would be fine. Would you really want to use a taser on some BG that comes armed to the teeth?

I admire your out of the box thinking on this one but i see several problem. It can be stolen, by teacher, student, or anyone that sees it and says OOh something shiny. The Libs would have a field day with that. Like every other non-lethal out there, you need a license, at least to purchase and carry, as well as to be properly trained on it. And if a disgruntled student did have an "out" with a teacher, they would have the capacity to act on their aggresion. Do you think a student who would act on doing that, would care if he got expelled? I certainly don't think so. But like I said, I do applaude your idea. Might just need refining.

Very good points, maybe have the taser in a metal container like a defibrillator and an alarm on it if it is opened. Those defibrillator must be expensive and people don't steal them?

So many reasons not to have one that is easily accessible. If the teacher wants to carry one that would be fine. Would you really want to use a taser on some BG that comes armed to the teeth?

better to have a taser, then to crawl into the fetal position and cry like a little baby, waiting to die.

Last edited:
Its still kinda a temptation. No matter what alarm is on there. People still break and enter into houses. I would say it would have to be trigger locked, inside a lock box, inside a 2TON safe, secured to the floor with bolts, inside the principles office. But hey, that's the way we roll in MA right? [devil] (INSERT SARCASTIC LAUGH)

While the idea might be appealing, putting it into practice is going to be difficult. It is a less lethal weapon, but still a weapon. It would have to be under an adult's control. Putting them in the hall or classrooms isn't going to fly. There is no way that you're going to keep the kid's hands off of them in that scenario.

Train and issue them to the teachers? Good luck with that. If there's an active shooter in the building, tasers are going to be marginally useful. I would support training and arming teachers, but realistically I know that's never going to fly either. Far too costly, even assuming that you could get teachers (most are moonbats) to acknowledge the need for defense of themselves and their students. It's far cheaper and easier to buy a few signs that say Gun Free Zone than to actually deal with the problem.

better to have a taser, then to crawl into the fetal position and cry like a little baby, waiting to die.

It's better than nothing, but I'll put this out there...

When's the last time you've seen a LEO pull/use a taser on a guy with a gun? There's a reason they don't do it. Tasers are "less lethal" force tools.

In MA your idea would be actually less viable than a firearm. Tasers are MORE illegal here than firearms, LEOs can't even carry them without special certification. Most LEOs in MA don't even have access/use of a Taser never mind a civilian. Brain dead, but gotta love MA... [rolleyes]

This doesn't even get into the fact that 95% of all teachers probably would not use one even if they had access to it. (due to the moonbat issues)

-Mike

It seems that we're once again devising solutions for non-existent problems. The only real (as opposed to imagined) problem with arming teachers is that most of them would be likely to refuse. That's OK, as long as the bad guys can't easily tell which ones are armed and which ones aren't. All the evidence I've seen indicates that police have a much harder time distinguishing between good guys and bad guys than we "untrained" commoners do. I don't have the citation or exact numbers in front of me, but NYPD had a study several years ago showing that their officers shot the wrong person about 10-12% of the time, compared to 1-2% for "civilians". (Most of that difference is attributable to the fact that they're required to insert themselves aggressively into a lot of situations that you or I would walk away from.) Utah has allowed any licensed person to carry in schools or colleges for several years without a single incident. Public schools and universities are not allowed to have any employee or student conduct rule against legal possession of firearms. Years ago the Israelis decided that the best solution to violent attacks on children was to require armed teachers, parents or other personnel in schools and at all school activities. Again, the only screw-up by the good guys was a single incident in which they were pressured into going unarmed, with the expected bad outcome.

Ken

While the idea might be appealing, putting it into practice is going to be difficult. It is a less lethal weapon, but still a weapon. It would have to be under an adult's control. Putting them in the hall or classrooms isn't going to fly. There is no way that you're going to keep the kid's hands off of them in that scenario.

Train and issue them to the teachers? Good luck with that. If there's an active shooter in the building, tasers are going to be marginally useful. I would support training and arming teachers, but realistically I know that's never going to fly either. Far too costly, even assuming that you could get teachers (most are moonbats) to acknowledge the need for defense of themselves and their students. It's far cheaper and easier to buy a few signs that say Gun Free Zone than to actually deal with the problem.

It's better than nothing, but I'll put this out there...

When's the last time you've seen a LEO pull/use a taser on a guy with a gun? There's a reason they don't do it. Tasers are "less lethal" force tools.

In MA your idea would be actually less viable than a firearm. Tasers are MORE illegal here than firearms, LEOs can't even carry them without special certification. Most LEOs in MA don't even have access/use of a Taser never mind a civilian. Brain dead, but gotta love MA... [rolleyes]

This doesn't even get into the fact that 95% of all teachers probably would not use one even if they had access to it. (due to the moonbat issues)

-Mike

I don't understand the logic of why a taser are more illegal than a firearm but thats mass for ya? Its a non lethal device that very rarely will cause injury and it will take down a person no matter what he is carrying if he is hit correctly. When you think about it it will incapacitate some one quicker in some cases than a firearm, because if you shoot someone with a handgun some times it takes a couple or even multiple shoots to completely stop the aggressor.

Last edited:
I don't understand the logic of why a taser are more illegal than a firearm but thats mass for ya?

Many years ago a bad cop ended up using a taser (or maybe it was a stun gun) as part of a sexual assault/rape on some lady, he was put away, etc, but there was a HUGE knee jerk reaction in response to that event which resulted in tasers/stun guns being more heavily regulated to the point of absurdity, and that's the short answer as to why the taser laws in MA are so absurd.

Its a non lethal device

Well, for the most part. Healthy people generally will not get killed by a taser, and many people have been shocked by them a number of times with no ill effects (If I remember correctly, Timber has a stash of free Taser International swag because he always takes them up on the challenge to get hit with it) but calling it "non lethal" as an absolute is misleading.

that very rarely will cause injury and it will take down a person no matter what he is carrying if he is hit correctly.

Well, the "if he's hit correctly" thing is a big deal... but you only get one shot.

They fail a lot, too... Watch at 2:04

There are some other videos with clearly good hits, too, that don't work out so well.

When you think about it it will incapacitate some one quicker in some cases than a firearm, because if you shoot someone with a handgun some times it takes a couple or even multiple shoots to completely stop the aggressor.

Well, or it will fail like it did above, or one of the darts could miss or bounce off, etc. Not to mention that, at least with most taser models, if you miss, you don't get another shot. There is another video where the guy just rips the darts out. While the success rate is obviously usually well into the plus range, it's far from "guaranteed stop".

Smart LEOs treat tasers as a force alternative and never as a direct substitute for deadly force. Tasers are for crackheads bloviating with knives, or for other situations where the LEO is outclassed but can't justify using a firearm.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
A nurse or a doc has to take out the prongs that stick into you. plus find the serial number from the cartridge and match it with the funfetti that comes out of the catridge. not to mention the oh so fun police report. and besides what do you do after you taze the perp?

EDIT* CORRECTION- It's TAUGHT that a health care professional should take out the prongs. Those on the job know sometimes that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
If you want to make gun free zones more safe, let law-abiding citizens carry guns there. Criminals and those who intend to do harm won't decide to go somewhere else because of a sign.

Many years ago a bad cop ended up using a taser (or maybe it was a stun gun) as part of a sexual assault/rape on some lady, he was put away, etc, but there was a HUGE knee jerk reaction in response to that event which resulted in tasers/stun guns being more heavily regulated to the point of absurdity, and that's the short answer as to why the taser laws in MA are so absurd.

Well, for the most part. Healthy people generally will not get killed by a taser, and many people have been shocked by them a number of times with no ill effects (If I remember correctly, Timber has a stash of free Taser International swag because he always takes them up on the challenge to get hit with it) but calling it "non lethal" as an absolute is misleading.

Well, the "if he's hit correctly" thing is a big deal... but you only get one shot.

They fail a lot, too... Watch at 2:04

There are some other videos with clearly good hits, too, that don't work out so well.

Well, or it will fail like it did above, or one of the darts could miss or bounce off, etc. Not to mention that, at least with most taser models, if you miss, you don't get another shot. There is another video where the guy just rips the darts out. While the success rate is obviously usually well into the plus range, it's far from "guaranteed stop".

Smart LEOs treat tasers as a force alternative and never as a direct substitute for deadly force. Tasers are for crackheads bloviating with knives, or for other situations where the LEO is outclassed but can't justify using a firearm.

-Mike

I totally agree with your points, taser are not fail proof, but then again firearms aren't fail proof either(jamming, misfires ect.) but if an armed attacker is coming at me you bet your a$$ I would perfer to have a gun, but next best thing would be a taser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats when i was thinking why don't they just put a taser in each classroom ?

Why not put a sign up that says "If you come in to shoot the place up, we will use less than lethal force to disarm you. Then we will nicely remove your firearm and help you get treatment. "

The answer is to stop sending our unarmed children to a place that has inadequate security to protect them. The schools will fix themselves is we all did this.

The whole idea of gun-free zones is ludicrous on its face. It's predicated on a bad guy saying: "Gee, I was going to bring a gun to school and shoot the teacher, but then I saw the sign, so I didn't."

This crap went down in the Clinton years and was pushed by the usual suspects. There will never be anyplace that's truly safe from a predator who desires to massacre people. That's the simple truth of the matter. Allowing teachers or college students to CCW still won't make these places "safe," but it does give a CHANCE to minimize the damage.

We need politicians to comes out and tell people to grow the F up and accept that life isn't safe and nothing government can do will make it perfectly safe. IMO Bush missed a big opportunity in failing to do this. This should have been done a long time ago and F the sheeple who think differently. Believing the government can make you safe is like believing in the tooth fairy, only Mom and Dad actually DID put a quarter under your pillow.

Another way to deal with gun free zones is to do what you need to do to ensure that you survive no matter what.

Big boys rules.

Back
Top Bottom