• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A true Gem: matched bringback svwMB. RANGE REPORT

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Picked it up tonight from the son of the man who took it in trade from the Vet towards a transmission job back in the '80s, along with a dress bayonet. The vet picked up the two pieces from a weapons storage facility. This one can't be improved on, and is the crown jewel of my collection. As close to as issued as possible, and is one of the very last German Mausers, made in April of '45 at Obendorf. This is one of the very rarest of all K98k's. It is made up of whatever parts were at hand, especially the Sauer left over stock and ejector box, when most of the very last K98k's were in Kriegsmodel configuration.

*Sauer WaA37 * stock with cleaning rod channel and rod lug
*Has Final proof and is German made; of 28,000 svwMB's made, only 2500 were made by Germany. The rest were produced under French occupation to start rearming France before the factory was blown up by the allies.
*As brought back with sling and hood; picked up a late war cleaning rod to fill the slot. I will have the sling repaired.
*Sloppy solder runs present, phosphate finish save bands
*When I put it back together, I oiled the screws and a coat of Howard's for the stock - very dry.

Enjoy,

T

Last edited:
I told the previous owner that I'd only put one box of ammo through it. Sunny, windy, 61 degrees. 100 yards, box of Hornady vintage loads 198gr BTHP. Seated at the bench, hasty sling, lead elbow on the table. Fussed between 1/2 below the black to the bottom of the target paper, which is where I needed to be to hit. Rifle functioned flawlessly, but was stiff from almost no use in its life. Now she will sit on her throne in the safe. Maybe another box in a couple of years.

T

Niceto see it used, though if I wanted something to look at, and not use I'd buy art. I've fired so many unissued verified wwii weapons regularly that I'd be lynched by purists. They were built to be used

This thread is aptly titled, "True gem".

Aside from being museum quality, it has the history of end of a dark era. Impossible to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom